NCAA Tournament an Expectation for ISU?

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
This team has 10x's the talent of any of his UNI teams and the past 3 years can be forgotten for a run in the tourney. If McD can't do it with this squad, don't think he will ever do it at ISU.

Remember a few years back, where us fans didn't think of making the tourney as an obtainable goal, but the goal was to win the Big 12, make sweet 16 runs, flirt with a final four............now we HOPE ISU finishes in the top half of the conference.

This is the year for McD to build a base of bringing us back to our old expectations.

100% agreement.

If you told me 8 yrs ago that we would be hoping to finish in the Top 1/2 of the Big 12 and hoping for a Trournament Bid, I would call you Crazy.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
It seems like deja vu that suddenly a ton of lofty expectations ride on Staiger again. I'm excited and anxious for the season but I'm a little hesitant on being confident. I lot rides on Gilstrap and if his game doesn't translate to the Big 12...uh oh.

For me a successful season isn't making the NCAA's, a successful season is wining a couple games in the tournament.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that they SHOULD make the tourney. If they don't, I won't be ******, just disappointed. As in, disappointed that the next three years will be VERY tough to watch because they are basically playing out the string and waiting for Pollard to drop the hammer. Fans will see this and attendance will fall to iowa-like levels.

If GMac can't do it this year, he's never going to...unless HB comes in and saves the day.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Coach Mac should either be coaching in one of the Top 2 Postseason Tournaments in March... or should be looking for a new job.

chengyushen

Apr 7, 2006
We HAVE to make it to the dance this year. This is our only chance in many many years. We cannot make it to the dance next year when our 2 or three best players are gone

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If we aren't expecting to make it back to the NCAA tourney this season, we might as well take our ball and go home. We have been building towards this season, and we have an All-American caliber big man to build around with plenty of solid, experienced players around him.

The fact that some people think its unreasonable to make the tourney this year makes me sad, alot of folks' expectation for our basketball program has really dropped the past few years. :no:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
This is the most talent we have had in years, and I don't think we are going to be any more loaded in the next year or two than we are now. Add to it the fact that the conference may be a little bit down and you have to ask yourself, if not now, then when?

We aren't asking to win the conference or go deep in the tourney or anything. We are just talking about making it. A 10 or 11 seed and a first round exit even. If that is setting the bar to high at this point in McD's tenure here, than what the hell is he building here? Do or die this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al_4_State

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
If we aren't expecting to make it back to the NCAA tourney this season, we might as well take our ball and go home. We have been building towards this season, and we have an All-American caliber big man to build around with plenty of solid, experienced players around him.

The fact that some people think its unreasonable to make the tourney this year makes me sad, alot of folks' expectation for our basketball program has really dropped the past few years. :no:

Yes, what this guy said.

To not make it in the tourney in 4 years as a coach, at ISU? We aren't KState.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
This is the most talent we have had in years, and I don't think we are going to be any more loaded in the next year or two than we are now. Add to it the fact that the conference may be a little bit down and you have to ask yourself, it not now, then when?

We aren't asking to win the conference or go deep in the tourney or anything. We are just talking about making it. A 10 or 11 seed and a first round exit even. If that is setting the bar to high at this point in McD's tenure here, than what the hell is he building here? Do or die this season.

You need two stars and a decent supporting cast. You need depth to give guys breathers and handle foul problems. You need athletes and strength.

I think this team has all of those items. Recall Fizer's Junior season. That team came out of NOWHERE. They lost to Drake early. They were picked to finish 11th. I'm not saying we can repeat that season but there is NO reason this team shouldn't be in tourney. NO REASON.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
In my opinion, it really boils down to guard play. If the guards are as deep as we hope, if they improve over last year, I think that will be the difference.

Brackins is a constant, he'll be fine. Gilstrap will get points, the guards are the difference.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
In my opinion, it really boils down to guard play. If the guards are as deep as we hope, if they improve over last year, I think that will be the difference.

Brackins is a constant, he'll be fine. Gilstrap will get points, the guards are the difference.

Depth at guard isn't near as important as quality play at the guard spot.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
NCAAs very possible but if I had to bet the farm on them in or out I would have to say out.

Main reasons being
1. 4-12. This team was so far from being competitive last year. It's not like we were almost there and this is our year to make a small step forward.
2. GMac has shown next to nothing relative to expectations at ISU. An NCAA berth will hinge on beating a team or two that we aren't supposed to. This would be a new concept under GMac.

My expectations are NIT but NCAAs are a definite possibility. Looking forward to a great year.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Expect? I expect to be talked about as a bubble team and to be playing for something down the stretch.

Tough schedule, Big 12 = best conference this year . . . Can't say I "expect" to go to the tournament.

sands4cy

Sep 12, 2009
expect them to make it and have a chance to make a run. they have the players, coach, and CB. big Q will b if the team can play with each other.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Pretty good thread to look back on. Thus far, our projected NBA lottery pick hasn't really played like one...and the season is looking more like no NCAA and a maybe for the NIT. Certainly time for a turn-around, outlook isn't great.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Pretty good thread to look back on. Thus far, our projected NBA lottery pick hasn't really played like one...and the season is looking more like no NCAA and a maybe for the NIT. Certainly time for a turn-around, outlook isn't great.

Yeah, interesting to re-read. Do you really think that this team can win 5 or 6 games in the Big 12? I'm not sure. We play horribly poor defense and can't rebound a lick. Not a good formula for getting wins in the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron