Idea: New Rep System

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Just a thought on the rep system. Is there any way we can just change it so every time you get a rep it takes your rep total up 1 "point?"

Also, throw negative rep in too. So a poster could have a negative, zero, or positive "rep points"

I know this issue has been disucssed, sorry if this specific idea was brought up.

thanks

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
We had negative rep back in the day... I don't remember the reason it was taken away, but I know I would be in favor of bringing it back, and I'm definitely not the only one.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It would need to be on a more complex scale than just 1 point.
Like, the more rep you have, the more pts your rep is worth when given to somebody else.

But, I do agree, we need a new rep scale.

C

CyBer

-rep was taken away because of whiny people. Whenever I have been on other forums it always ends the same way with Neg Rep.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I just can't tell easily who has a lot of rep. I just want a number next to someone's name. +1000, -2, 0, etc.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It would need to be on a more complex scale than just 1 point.
Like, the more rep you have, the more pts your rep is worth when given to somebody else.

But, I do agree, we need a new rep scale.

That's pretty much how it is right now. If you have a lot of rep, you can instantly pull someone to a full rep bar on their first day.

Agreed that a new scale for the rep bar might be a good idea, the top end is too low so everyone who's been here more than a little bit has full rep.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The reason why we can't have negative rep around here is because of posters like Clones21. While he wasn't around back then, his schtick isn't new. People would basically act like him, start up pointless new threads, act like arseclowns in other threads, and have so many red blocks. Then, to make matters worse, instead of realizing that perhaps they're the problem and changing their behavior, they would go run to the mods whining about how they're so unliked around here. It became so much of a nuisance to the mods that they just eliminated negative rep altogether.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The reason why we can't have negative rep around here is because of posters like Clones21. While he wasn't around back then, his schtick isn't new. People would basically act like him, start up pointless new threads, act like arseclowns in other threads, and have so many red blocks. Then, to make matters worse, instead of realizing that perhaps they're the problem and changing their behavior, they would go run to the mods whining about how they're so unliked around here. It became so much of a nuisance to the mods that they just eliminated negative rep altogether.

I used to like it because you could see if a poster was a troll or was full of balony sooner. Could zone that person out subconsiously.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think one of the bigger problems can be with the comments that go along with the neg rep. I think it could help mod issues if they brought it back but you couldnt make a comment with neg rep

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think one of the bigger problems can be with the comments that go along with the neg rep. I think it could help mod issues if they brought it back but you couldnt make a comment with neg rep

That might be good. At the same time, people use the positive rep as a way to send "less-positive" messages as well. Only a couple of posters utilize that method, but it's been used as a way to harshly critique without the option of responding.

Reactions: CyFan61

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Maybe there should be a poll or something to gauge what percentage of people would want a switch to a new system.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
This!!! Rep to you

+1 :jimlad:

No really.

I actually think it can be a bit of a distraction and am OK with how things are right now. I see someone who is one of the best posters here who is not maxed out.

I am not much into it myself, but appreciate being able to give positive reinforcement and possibly a brief message for more exceptional posts.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I do miss the days of seeing *** hats with red rep. And it was fun to see them actually get made when they got negative rep - those were some fun times!