Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
1088347.gif

Welcome! Just be glad your wife and yourself did not end up in Eastern Iowa
26gs74WzGUfvbN2gg.gif

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Hello all,

Wife and I recently accepted jobs here at ISU and moved across the country from SEC land. We are both Tennessee fans (the real UT and real orange, not whatever Texas is trying to get away with). Very excited to try some Big 12 tailgating this fall and looking forward to basketball season as well!

Welcome!

Not gonna lie, both UT football and tailgating dwarf ISU. I mean, how can we top being able to boat up? I used to work with a Vol from Columbia, TN and he showed me some pics and vids of tailgating from his boat, very cool.

JTS is fun though and we can always use more casual fans so I hope you can make it to the UTex & Iowa games.

Reactions: Jjflm62

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Don't even get me started on 'the red team.'

I love a good rivalry. I'm assuming U of Iowa is 1 of the biggest you all have? If it helps any, the only time I have ever watched Iowa play in person was about 3 years ago in a bowl game when we beat them by 20 or so. I bought the mini pack of tickets for this season so I will be in the stands to watch isu hopefully take care of business in September. If isu does win I expect a beer from someone for being a bad luck charm for Iowa. Hopefully my lifetime live viewership for Hawkeye games will be an 0 and 2 record for them.
Iowa is easily the overall "most heated/hated"...but as a member of the Big 10 (NOT to ever be confused with the Big 12, despite the fact that we currently only have 10 teams and they have...11...14...16...hell, I've lost count) they don't have a great impact on our conference play. The primary focus there is the "Cyhawk" trophy, which awards points to the winners of seven or so head to head matchups in various sports...FB, MBB, WBB, wrestling, gymnastics, softball, and a couple of others. Hawkeyes claim this is a "Hawkeye" state due to their presence and mascot, conveniently forgetting that they took their mascot name from the pre-existing state nickname. There are thousands upon thousands of Hawkeyes...and some of them actually attended the U of I. Enough about them though. **** Iowa.

Within the conference, KSU is a rivalry in football (Farmageddon was previously mentioned). When we went to the round robin conference schedule, our fortunes waned. It's tough to go up against the big boys in the conference every single year...which makes the conference wins all the sweeter.

For MBB, KU. KU must be destroyed. They hang their hat on MBB (all other sports be damned), and they have the best players money can buy. Well, maybe the best players whose parents are given jobs... Beating them is a pleasure. Beating them at the Phog is an even greater pleasure. OU is another tough game, as is Baylor. The rest of the teams are up & down; we've had OSU's number for a few years now.

Welcome to Iowa (the state, not the university of...!) and to Iowa State University. I transplanted here about 35 years ago. The university and the state have been a wonderful life for me & my family. I hope you find your niche here. Despite the ubiquitous gold "birdcrap" stickers on cars, hats, and tshirts in all corners of the state, it's still a pretty great place to raise a family. :)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Welcome!

Not gonna lie, both UT football and tailgating dwarf ISU. I mean, how can we top being able to boat up? I used to work with a Vol from Columbia, TN and he showed me some pics and vids of tailgating from his boat, very cool.

JTS is fun though and we can always use more casual fans so I hope you can make it to the UTex & Iowa games.

By throwing as much booze and grilled animal flesh into you as humanly possible. We can't have a bad ass boat scene, but this is how we attempt to compensate for being land locked.

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017
By throwing as much booze and grilled animal flesh into you as humanly possible. We can't have a bad ass boat scene, but this is how we attempt to compensate for being land locked.

Booze and animal flesh? Sounds like I may have to make a stop at your spot before a game sometime this season.

• Agree
Reactions: Al_4_State

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
This is a good thread to post this gem:
iowa-player-attempts-to-pass-the-ball-forward-on-kickoff-return-against-tennessee.gif

And for the record, I think Tennessee has the best colors in college sports. Love that orange and white.

Welcome to Ames, IA. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the game day and tailgating atmosphere at a school with such lousy football history. If you are looking for a tailgating spot, just let us know on here and you'll have plenty of invites from fellow CycloneFanatics. It won't be as top notch as Tennessee's, but we definitely blow tailgating out of the water considering the lack of success. When you usually suck at football, you have to be great at partying.
Make sure to take in some big time basketball games. Hilton Magic is no joke.
Would love for you to stop back in after your first football game and basketball game and give us an outsiders opinion. Ames is a great community, the people are great and the cost of living is cheap.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Hold the phone Al, you just gave me an idea. Lots of us have boats...fishing boats, ski boats, ****, I got friends at Boji with sailboats. It might be time to organize a WRNL booze cruise (on trailers).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hold the phone Al, you just gave me an idea. Lots of us have boats...fishing boats, ski boats, ****, I got friends at Boji with sailboats. It might be time to organize a WRNL booze cruise (on trailers).

Build a giant earth dike protecting the S lots, and flood the area between Elwood (I'll never call it University) and the lots. Park boats in it. Profit.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Don't even get me started on 'the red team.'

I love a good rivalry. I'm assuming U of Iowa is 1 of the biggest you all have? If it helps any, the only time I have ever watched Iowa play in person was about 3 years ago in a bowl game when we beat them by 20 or so. I bought the mini pack of tickets for this season so I will be in the stands to watch isu hopefully take care of business in September. If isu does win I expect a beer from someone for being a bad luck charm for Iowa. Hopefully my lifetime live viewership for Hawkeye games will be an 0 and 2 record for them.

This guy is going to be fully on board real fast.

Reactions: GTO and Jjflm62

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Have to admit, I love Rocky Top and therefore the Vols fight song. You guys also beat Iowa in one of the NCAA play in games not too long ago. So I'm a fan. Welcome!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Have to admit, I love Rocky Top and therefore the Vols fight song. You guys also beat Iowa in one of the NCAA play in games not too long ago. So I'm a fan. Welcome!
I forgot all about them beating Iowa in the play-in game a couple years ago! Tennessee actually made the Sweet 16 that year.
I'm starting to like the Vols more and more.

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017
I forgot all about them beating Iowa in the play-in game a couple years ago! Tennessee actually made the Sweet 16 that year.
I'm starting to like the Vols more and more.

We aren't bad people. If Iowa state was good enough for Johnny Majors it's good enough for us. He's from Tenn, played there were he finished second in the heisman race, and coached there for about 20 years. I read somewhere he took ISU to its first ever bowl game when he was a coach here I think?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We aren't bad people. If Iowa state was good enough for Johnny Majors it's good enough for us. He's from Tenn, played there were he finished second in the heisman race, and coached there for about 20 years. I read somewhere he took ISU to its first ever bowl game when he was a coach here I think?

The first two bowl games!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron