Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Never heard of it….
That's why I said "anyone" because I knew you of all people probably haven't heard of it haha. Corner of 86th and University by Fresh Thyme. I am always intrigued when driving by there. My wife has a palate of a 5 year old, so anything "non-american" I have to partake alone or find a friend lol.

Looks decent.

• Haha
Reactions: chadly82

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's why I said "anyone" because I knew you of all people probably haven't heard of it haha. Corner of 86th and University by Fresh Thyme. I am always intrigued when driving by there. My wife has a palate of a 5 year old, so anything "non-american" I have to partake alone or find a friend lol.

Looks decent.
We went this past summer. Wanted to introduce my kids to Brazilian BBQ. It was fine. We went at lunch, and I wouldn't advise that. They didn't have all options available, and the sides weren't quite as fresh as I assume they would be during the dinner service, but you're also paying less at lunch, so I guess it evens out.

If you're looking for a Fogo de Chao experience, it's not going to meet those expectations, but it's not bad.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

Looks decent.
I was just messing with you this time lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4theCYcle

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I was just messing with you this time lol
Feelings hurt bro.
We went this past summer. Wanted to introduce my kids to Brazilian BBQ. It was fine. We went at lunch, and I wouldn't advise that. They didn't have all options available, and the sides weren't quite as fresh as I assume they would be during the dinner service, but you're also paying less at lunch, so I guess it evens out.

If you're looking for a Fogo de Chao experience, it's not going to meet those expectations, but it's not bad.
I haven't even ever had Fogo, so I wouldn't know any different. I was just curious about the brazilian steakhouse experience as I have heard hype with Fogo before.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Feelings hurt bro.

I haven't even ever had Fogo, so I wouldn't know any different. I was just curious about the brazilian steakhouse experience as I have heard hype with Fogo before.
Brazilian BBQ is mostly a novelty, in my opinion. The food is good, but it's not spectacular. It's more the experience that people seem to gravitate to. And don't get me wrong, the experience is definitely neat, especially for people who have never been before.

Reactions: Javinegli

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Brazilian BBQ is mostly a novelty, in my opinion. The food is good, but it's not spectacular. It's more the experience that people seem to gravitate to. And don't get me wrong, the experience is definitely neat, especially for people who have never been before.

Yep, quantity over quality typically. But its a different and fun atmosphere if done right. To me, the benefit of places like that are you get to try a wide variety of food usually at an all-in price.

Reactions: Mr Janny

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Most of the love kids category are chains. I don't do chains. It's a shame more local establishments hate kids. I worked in a taproom for a while and kids were welcomed. The problem was usually when parents weren't monitoring their children, not the children themselves.
Sorry, I was trying to be funny by listing places I would never go to, as being kid friendly.

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Yep, quantity over quality typically. But its a different and fun atmosphere if done right. To me, the benefit of places like that are you get to try a wide variety of food usually at an all-in price.
They also have a restaurant next door that is fast casual type and more affordable

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Has anyone been to the Brazil Terra Grill on University?? I've been wanting to try that.
The atmosphere is fine, not classy or super relaxed. You get a decent salad bar that has some addition side dishes. Then you have ~5 people constantly carrying out slabs of meat that they'll cut off for you. There's a good variety of beef, chicken, and pork. It's a decent place to go to maybe once a year if you're looking to get the meat sweats.

• Informative
Reactions: 4theCYcle

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My thing with Brazilian BBQ is I have no problem with med rare but I like my steaks seasoned and most of the meats at these places taste like they weren't seasoned much.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My thing with Brazilian BBQ is I have no problem with med rare but I like my steaks seasoned and most of the meats at these places taste like they weren't seasoned much.
Yeah, that's been my experience as well. Some of the lesser cuts they offer aren't even worth trying. Give me that picanha, or don't bother stopping!

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Sorry, I was trying to be funny by listing places I would never go to, as being kid friendly.

Rest assured, we rarely take our toddler anywhere to eat because of people like you who would probably glare at us the whole time just because he exists.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not sure how I would classify a place like Sakari Sushi Lounge. Is it a nice restaurant? It's definitely a really good restaurant. It feels like a sports bar. But their food is right up there in the "nice restaurant" category. Definitely one of my favorite places in the metro, though.

We took a pretty big group there for a work outing and just went omakase for our order. It was one of the best sushi/sashimi meals I've ever had.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Rest assured, we rarely take our toddler anywhere to eat because of people like you who would probably glare at us the whole time just because he exists.
I only get annoyed by parents who don't parent. e.g. kicking the back of someones seat, bringing kids to inappropriate places, etc. We've all had to deal with parents who have no interest in being parents.

Why would someone glare at you for being a parent with a well behaved kid?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I only get annoyed by parents who don't parent. e.g. kicking the back of someones seat, bringing kids to inappropriate places, etc. We've all had to deal with parents who have no interest in being parents.

Kids aren't always silent, which doesn't mean they aren't well-behaved. They just don't necessarily sit quietly. Which for some people isn't good enough. I've definitely seen my share of side eye and glares even though I think my kid is age-appropriate in his behavior.

I definitely wouldn't take my toddler to a fine dining place. And we do take him to breweries, but typically in the afternoon hours. If he has his tablet (which I know also earns me from judgment from others), that can buy us enough time for one drink before he wants to run. And then we leave. We try to mitigate how he acts in public, but can't always predict how he's going to be, and we're both anxious parents who don't like to inconvenience people, so we then default to just not going many places at all. Takeout has become our friend.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Kids aren't always silent, which doesn't mean they aren't well-behaved. They just don't necessarily sit quietly. Which for some people isn't good enough. I've definitely seen my share of side eye and glares even though I think my kid is age-appropriate in his behavior.

I definitely wouldn't take my toddler to a fine dining place. And we do take him to breweries, but typically in the afternoon hours. If he has his tablet (which I know also earns me from judgment from others), that can buy us enough time for one drink before he wants to run. And then we leave. We try to mitigate how he acts in public, but can't always predict how he's going to be, and we're both anxious parents who don't like to inconvenience people, so we then default to just not going many places at all. Takeout has become
Yes, everyone is different.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Yes, everyone is different.

Agree.
Not all kids are the same.
Not all adults have the same tolerances when it comes to kids.

I guess where your post(s) struck a nerve was the suggestion that those with kids should not go anywhere to eat. If I took your generalization too personally, my bad.

Reactions: dmclone

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

I get annoyed by adults who are loud, rude, and think when they are in a restaurant, the whole world needs to know their business or how "important" they think they are.

I'd take an unruly kid over a drunk adult in a restaurant any day of the week.