Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Reactions: dmclone and MJ29

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Going to Guesthouse tonight for our 2nd time.

Place is super close to us and takes reservations which is clutch with a newborn

I want to go there soon. But it'll have to be whenever we can find a sitter. I somehow doubt it's toddler-friendly.

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I want to go there soon. But it'll have to be whenever we can find a sitter. I somehow doubt it's toddler-friendly.
Yeah we’re at sweet spot where she just stays in car seat whole time. Once patio season opens you might be okay with a toddler sitting out there

Reactions: MJ29

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Has anyone tried Club Car in Ankeny? I live relatively close to it but haven't heard much about it yet. I've never been to the west side one either.
Yes, it's meh. Weird atmosphere, booths are laid out strange (felt like i was eating in a hallway), not very competent wait staff, and average food the one time I went.

• Sad
Reactions: NorthCyd

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Yes, it's meh. Weird atmosphere, booths are laid out strange (felt like i was eating in a hallway), not very competent wait staff, and average food the one time I went.
completely agree with the weird layout. The building it's in seems like it would've been better suited for something other than a restaurant.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Chicago Speakeasy is the mothership for John & Nick's. Speakeasy is amazing, just incredibly tough to get into, even during the week. We went on a Thursday night in January and waited 30 minutes.
I forgot about this place! Trumps John & Nicks. I've only had a good experience at J/Ns like 1/4x. I won't go back.

• Agree
Reactions: CYaeger

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Were you born yesterday?? Lol, it's on 6th street over by the capitol. I've never been there but it's been around for awhile now. Geez man, get out more. :mccaffery:
Well it’s been back to back kids and I live out in adel we do our best lol

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I can't reveal my source but I've heard that the places below really dislike kids:

All bars/taprooms in the metro (e.g. El Bait shop, Fongs, etc.)
Flying Mango
Cheese Shop
LaChelle's
Lucky Lotus
Django
Basic Bird
Fiesta Jalapeno (Ankeny)

I've heard these places, love kids
Texas Roadhouse
Oak Park
Subway
Buzzard Billy's
Pizza Ranch
Machine Shed
Chicken Coop

Please share with other parents

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: CyDegen and MJ29

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Well it’s been back to back kids and I live out in adel we do our best lol
Well yeah I know that, but figured back in your going out pre kids days that you had been there before. But it's not like I have either, I just have heard of the place. But given that I haven't eaten there, it'll stay open for 20+ years and the places we like go out of business often lol...start strong and collapse from crappy service and management is the usual trajectory.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
I forgot about this place! Trumps John & Nicks. I've only had a good experience at J/Ns like 1/4x. I won't go back.
Interesting, I have the exact opposite opinion. We started out at Chicago Speakeasy then found out about John and Nick's after we had a few bad experiences at CS. Both are great but I feel like we've had better experiences at J/N's so far. Interested to see if that changes as we keep going to J/N's

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
All the times we've been to John & Nick's we've had a good meal and good service, plus it is much closer to our house.

I like them both, but if choosing I'd go to Speakeasy. I just like the vibe there.

• Winner
Reactions: CYaeger

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Interesting, I have the exact opposite opinion. We started out at Chicago Speakeasy then found out about John and Nick's after we had a few bad experiences at CS. Both are great but I feel like we've had better experiences at J/N's so far. Interested to see if that changes as we keep going to J/N's
It's been awhile since I've been to either, so it could be different. I just know J&N's is not for me. If I want a steak I'll go to Greenbriar.

Has anyone been to the Brazil Terra Grill on University?? I've been wanting to try that.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I can't reveal my source but I've heard that the places below really dislike kids:

Flying Mango
Cheese Shop
LaChelle's
Lucky Lotus
Django
Basic Bird
Fiesta Jalapeno (Ankeny)

Texas Roadhouse
Oak Park
Subway
Buzzard Billy's
Pizza Ranch
Machine Shed
Chicken Coop

We took our daughters to Django a few times when they were younger and we didn't get any sense that they were annoyed with us/them. Of course who knows what they were saying/thinking when they left the table, lol.

Reactions: MJ29

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
It's been awhile since I've been to either, so it could be different. I just know J&N's is not for me. If I want a steak I'll go to Greenbriar.

Has anyone been to the Brazil Terra Grill on University?? I've been wanting to try that.
Never heard of it….

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

Flying Mango
Cheese Shop
LaChelle's
Lucky Lotus
Django
Basic Bird
Fiesta Jalapeno (Ankeny)

Texas Roadhouse
Oak Park
Subway
Buzzard Billy's
Pizza Ranch
Machine Shed
Chicken Coop

Most of the love kids category are chains. I don't do chains. It's a shame more local establishments hate kids. I worked in a taproom for a while and kids were welcomed. The problem was usually when parents weren't monitoring their children, not the children themselves.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We took our daughters to Django a few times when they were younger and we didn't get any sense that they were annoyed with us/them. Of course who knows what they were saying/thinking when they left the table, lol.

I was wondering if dmclone was just listing those places because he likes them and doesn't want kids there