Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Never even heard of it, going to check this one out
The overall vibe is borderline snooty, but not as bad as some of the other good DSM spots. And the portions lean to the small side. But the menu is usually interesting and the food itself has always been pretty amazing when we've been there. I think Gordon Ramsay was in DSM for something several years ago and he was spotted there for dinner.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Looking for a recommendation for sunday afternoon. #1 son & wife are now expecting! So dinnering with them and my folks - who don't know yet!

If it was up to my folks, they'd just go to the Hitching Post in Bevington. I'd like to aim just a little higher! Where's a good, nice, place for not-adventurous basic-Iowa 70yo parents, but also decent for younger folks? SW side would be preferred, as they live off 92 south of the metro. TIA!
Sounds like a Cheesecake Factory type of dinner

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Current Favorites:
John and Nicks
Akebono 515
Eatery A for Happy hour Pizzas

Honorable Mention: Home Sweet Cone Salted Oreo ice cream (would eat this as a meal if I could)

Won't be back:
Ruth's Chris

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, my palette isn't near sophisticated enough to justify spending $150+ on a meal (not counting drinks) for 2. Not only that, but that kind of atmosphere makes me more uncomfortable than not. Places like Flemings or Johnny's are more than fancy enough for our super special occasions.

I'm a man who enjoys a hot dog from the microwave. Yeah, I can't imagine spending this much on food.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Current Favorites:
John and Nicks
Akebono 515
Eatery A for Happy hour Pizzas

Honorable Mention: Home Sweet Cone Salted Oreo ice cream (would eat this as a meal if I could)

Won't be back:
Ruth's Chris
Eatery A is very good. I would go for their appetizers alone. Their Moroccan carrots and poached pear bruschetta are favorites of mine

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Had a reservation months in advance and when we got there early were told we could sit at the bar and wait and they would come get us for our table. They never did and when we brought it up they scrambled to find a table to put us at upstairs in a really awkward corner by the bathrooms even though there were plenty of empty tables next to the bar we were seated at. Ended up getting sat 40 minutes after our reservation.

Service was off. Slow and forgot multiple items, but still billed for them. When we asked to remove those items from the bill it took forever to get them removed. Interactions were just very awkward and seemed almost like the server was your standard midwest wrestler type trying to fake a fancy high class accent to fit the feel of the place. It was just weird and we would have preferred he just talk to us normally.

Food was fine but not worth the price. We ordered 5 different sides to share with the table and none of them blew our socks off. My steak was good, My wife ordered hers medium and it came out still mooing (I prefer rare steak and I wouldn't have eaten hers). I'd definitely choose 801 or one of the local places before going back.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I'm officially the only person who doesn't love Simon's. The owner is super nice and friendly but I thought the food was average at best. My expectations were probably too high.
What'd you get? I'll admit I haven't been blown away by absolutely every meal there either but there's a bunch of staples they knock it out of the park on.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm officially the only person who doesn't love Simon's. The owner is super nice and friendly but I thought the food was average at best. My expectations were probably too high.

The food isn't mind blowing. But when you consider most entrees are $18-$25 (unless you get steak and then its in the $30s) which includes a salad/soup and dessert AND their drink prices are super reasonable (house wine is like $5) AND has a nice atmosphere AND the owner is super friendly and visible - that's why people like it.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
We went fall 2023 and it was really a let down. Over priced. Timing of food was off. Waitress didn’t know half the menu. Asked if i wanted my martini on the rocks?

Speaking with others who have been they also have had poor experiences
My wife and I went to Ruth's Chris last October and I'd put it above 801 Chophouse. It is expensive though. We spent $330 for the 2 of us and there was no alcohol.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Looking for a recommendation for sunday afternoon. #1 son & wife are now expecting! So dinnering with them and my folks - who don't know yet!

If it was up to my folks, they'd just go to the Hitching Post in Bevington. I'd like to aim just a little higher! Where's a good, nice, place for not-adventurous basic-Iowa 70yo parents, but also decent for younger folks? SW side would be preferred, as they live off 92 south of the metro. TIA!
This has Cracker Barrel on University written all over it. Could also throw in the Machine Shed!

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Eatery A is very good. I would go for their appetizers alone. Their Moroccan carrots and poached pear bruschetta are favorites of mine
They have my favorite hummus in DSM and the bacon wrapped dates are amazing.
Pizza happy hour prices rock.

Unsure if its still the case, but last I knew it's related to Alba.

Reactions: ajspatio19 and MJ29

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron