Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Looking for a recommendation for sunday afternoon. #1 son & wife are now expecting! So dinnering with them and my folks - who don't know yet!

If it was up to my folks, they'd just go to the Hitching Post in Bevington. I'd like to aim just a little higher! Where's a good, nice, place for not-adventurous basic-Iowa 70yo parents, but also decent for younger folks? SW side would be preferred, as they live off 92 south of the metro. TIA!
If you don't mind going into downtown, check out The Walnut

Reactions: CascadeClone

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Haven't seen this one yet so I'll add to the list - Proudfoot & Bird

This is in the expensive, and overly fancy category, but we had a great meal about a year ago and really enjoyed it

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Looking for a recommendation for sunday afternoon. #1 son & wife are now expecting! So dinnering with them and my folks - who don't know yet!

If it was up to my folks, they'd just go to the Hitching Post in Bevington. I'd like to aim just a little higher! Where's a good, nice, place for not-adventurous basic-Iowa 70yo parents, but also decent for younger folks? SW side would be preferred, as they live off 92 south of the metro. TIA!
Johnny's Steakhouse if you're looking for someplace a little nicer. Wellmans if they are more into the bar vibe. Bravo is a decent Italian chain restaurant next to Jordan Creek Mall.

Reactions: CascadeClone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They have my favorite hummus in DSM and the bacon wrapped dates are amazing.
Pizza happy hour prices rock.

Unsure if its still the case, but last I knew it's related to Alba.
My ex was half Lebanese. Even she said their baba ghanoush is the best she's ever had. They used to have a cioppino that was fantastic. I miss that broth they used...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Stay tuned for "Dmclone Des Moines Best Deli". I have a few places left to visit, but so far:

11/15/2023-Maccabee's Deli. Pastrami on Rye.

11/21/2023-Palmers. #2 Beef Eater. I've also had about every other sandwich they've had

12/4/2023 Capriortri's Italian medium sandwich. Shouldn't have went, not sure what I was thinking

1/3/2024
Graziono's
Knuckle sandwich.

2/6/2024
Maccabee's
Salami w faccia

2/28/2024
Taste of Italy
Non-Profit

These are the ones left on my list

Gateway Market
B&B-I've been but need to go again
Manhattan Deli-I've been but need to go again
South Union

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Has anyone tried Club Car in Ankeny? I live relatively close to it but haven't heard much about it yet. I've never been to the west side one either.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's disappointing to read poor reviews for Ruth's. Their filet is hard to beat compared to similar steakhouses. I usually only eat there while I'm on vacation and have never had a bad experience. Hopefully the WDM location is able to improve their service.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Manhattan Deli lovers, there's an Instagram account that is going through the entire menu of Manhattan Deli, one sandwich per week.

"themanhattanprojectdsm"

It's been fun to watch them try every sandwich.
If you're able to support them, please do!

New owners have been getting crushed by all the construction work on Ingersoll Avenue

• Winner
Reactions: psycln11 and MJ29

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Has anyone tried Club Car in Ankeny? I live relatively close to it but haven't heard much about it yet. I've never been to the west side one either.
We also live close to Club Car and walk over for drinks and appetizers a lot. Jason the bartender is great and I like all the food I've had there. I've seen some bad reviews that seem valid but I haven't had a bad experience myself.

Reactions: NorthCyd

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron