Nigel's horrible take on 90's NBA

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No one in the NBA currently even plays defense until the playoffs & even then it’s not close to how physical the game was back then.
Also to Dylan’s point. If Jordan was born in 1998 with all the new advanced nutrition, training, etc, he’d be just as dominant.

And if he needed to hit monster crazy long 3s like Tyrese and Steph to dominate, he would have grown up doing that.

This guy we're arguing with must not even watch Anthony Edwards, he's kind of a poor man's MJ and he's dominating just fine early in his career.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
And if he needed to hit monster crazy long 3s like Tyrese and Steph to dominate, he would have grown up doing that.

This guy we're arguing with must not even watch Anthony Edwards, he's kind of a poor man's MJ and he's dominating just fine early in his career.

Combine Ja Morant with Anthony Edwards and you are headed in the right direction.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This is all I'll ever to see to sum up Rodman. Immediately after winning the championship I saw Rodman push away one of his teammates so he could run to Jordan so he'd be in the spotlight. It was a D Bag move that pretty much defined the man.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Combine Ja Morant with Anthony Edwards and you are headed in the right direction.

Yeah, more Edwards physically but some of the creative playmaking of Morant. Edwards kind of lacks the graceful movement through the air MJ had.

There was a game last week where Edwards scored 10 points in a row to end the game and blocked the game tying shot where he slammed his head against the backboard he was so crazy high in the air. It was incredibly Jordan-like. It was vs Indy/Tyrese and he had to close it out that strong because they caught fire from 3 in final minutes.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This is all I'll ever to see to sum up Rodman. Immediately after winning the championship I saw Rodman push away one of his teammates so he could run to Jordan so he'd be in the spotlight. It was a D Bag move that pretty much defined the man.

No one ever said he was a good guy. But man, he could sure rebound a basketball.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The thing is Jordan would be shooting more threes and practicing more threes if he played today and would be just fine. His competitiveness is what separates him. Jordan would craft his game to match the current way it’s played, but his defense was also insanely good. He along with Tom Brady are the most competitive athletes I’ve ever watched.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

You think that move defined Rodman? It might not even be in the Top 10. Regardless, sometimes d-bags make good role players.

Reactions: jctisu

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The Worm was the right nickname. But there were other stars like Malone who were every bit as bad or worse and just massaged their image to hide it.

Even at the time everybody knew Rodman was an incredibly limited player in some ways. A team today (higher scoring era) might not do as well with him knowing you're basically going to get almost no points other than open layups and clutch free throws. He would still lead the NBA in rebounding and be a top 10 defender...but he'd still do it in part by not doing much on offense.

Discounting Rodman is a better take than a lot of people under 30 have when they bash Jordan where they live in this fantasy that Bulls were some loaded All Star team. Those teams were elite defensively (especially the last three) but outside of the greatest scorer of all time they had practically no offensive talent. I really laugh when they think MJ's teams had more net talent than LeBron's, that's a huge laugher.

Reactions: AllInForISU

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My favorite Jordan story.

We are at the old Chicago Stadium. They had some promotion for which you could use your ticket to get a free donut if the Bulls scored 100 (or something like that). The Bulls are playing the Pistons and losing the game. But with their score at 98 points, Jordan takes it into the lane and gets hammered. He goes to the line, slowly looks around at the audience, and drains two free throws . . . to give donuts to all 15,000 of us!

Let's see Kyrie do that!

Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My favorite Jordan story.

We are at the old Chicago Stadium. They had some promotion for which you could use your ticket to get a free donut if the Bulls scored 100 (or something like that). The Bulls are playing the Pistons and losing the game. But with their score at 98 points, Jordan takes it into the lane and gets hammered. He goes to the line, slowly looks around at the audience, and drains two free throws . . . to give donuts to all 15,000 of us!

Let's see Kyrie do that!

I got a free donut a few times just telling someone I was at the game and they didn't ask for my ticket when I actually just watched on TV. I was pretty broke w student loans in an expensive city right after ISU.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I once watched a game where John starks spent 2 quarters chasing Jordan around while having a hand full of jersey or waistband would have fouled out in 15 minutes of game time in today's nba.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Good god what a bad take.
I hope it was just a bit and he was just stirring the pot for the attention, because there's no reason for a sports commentator to light themselves on fire the way he did on the program with that one.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I've never listened to the podcast Nigel is on, but just based on comments on here it appears he specializes in bad takes.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Help Support Us

Become a patron