Nigel's horrible take on 90's NBA

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I mean ya, it was harder to get to the rack and score in the 1990's because the defense didn't have to guard center's from 25ft out. It's shocking that people don't understand how much more difficult it is to play defense in 2024 than in 1990.

I challenge you all to go on YouTube and watch the entire game of a 90s finals.
Agreed. Look up the series recaps from 1994 through 1999......most games, both teams were in the low 80s.

Those Knicks-Pacers games with Oakley, Mason, and the Davis Brothers were more demo derby than basketball.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
It’s different in auto racing. Bill Vukovich was the best driver of all time (Drove in the 1950s). Ray Harroun’s 1911 Indy win at 74 miles an hour, would be like today’s driver averaging 250 miles an hour at Indy when you compare harroun’s wasp with the average contemporary car and doing the same today with a sedan.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I don't think the take is that off-base. The average skill level of an NBA player today is insanely high compared to players in the 80s and 90s.

Yes, they were allowed to be more physical.. but physical play doesn't necessarily prevent skill. Basically every player on an NBA roster these days can make moves that were rare back in the day. Obviously they only can do so because they all grew up idolizing MJ and copying him.. this isn't a knock on MJ in the slightest.

I absolutely think that MJ would be incredible in today's game, just like he was in the 90s. He almost certainly would score on the same level as (prime) Lebron or Kobe or Durant or the more modern guys. But, let's not pretend like the level of competition he was facing was anything like it is today.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The level of skill current NBA players have now compared to then is not even comparable. Players now are taller, more athletic, and can shoot multitudes better than 90's players. Jordan has lower efficiency ratings than many of the current stars in an era where teams couldn't even double or play zone due to invalid defensive sets.

There is a reason Kareem, Bill Russell, or Wilt Chamberlain aren't considered the GOAT's of basketball, and it's the same reason Jordan shouldn't be. The skill levels of current players is so much higher than the guys of that era.
Jordan would have averaged a 40 point triple double in today’s NBA. With the freedom of movement he would be unstoppable going to the rim. And you know he would have mastered the euro step, step back and all the other fancy moves. He would have worked his 3 point shot till it was lethal.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
One guy that I think would be less effective in today’s game is Shaq. Bigs need to be more versatile now and have the ability to play on the perimeter. Once Shaq got heavy he just camped in the paint .
I don't know, though. we don't currently have any big men like Shaq.. He had 50 lbs and an inch on Joel Embiid during his prime LA days, and look how Embiid tears it up when he's healthy. 7'1" 330 pound freight trains with touch around the rim don't exactly grow on trees.

He literally forced teams (20 years ago, so not THAT long) to hire 7 foot bruisers just to have more fouls to give.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Jordan couldn't hit threes until they moved in the three point line, he also had terrible metrics driving to his left. Imagine what teams would do nowadays with those advanced analytics.

I know a lot of you have a lot of nostalgia from getting forcefed Jordan content from the 90's, but any NBA team nowadays would murder those teams of the past with three point shooting.

LOL these soft players would learn a lesson facing Rodman, Lambier(?) and others.

• Agree
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I listen to the podcast weekly but shut it off as soon as he started the rant….it was soooo uninformed. Ughh

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
LOL these soft players would learn a lesson facing Rodman, Lambier(?) and others.
This is true. But how much of that is the style of play allowed and how much of it is the player? Could Lambier guard an Anthony Davis or KAT 25 feet from the basket? I’m guessing no. Would Lambier beat the **** out of them in the lane until the refs actually blew a whistle? Yes.

All of this comparing across generations is really silly. And people are arguing about completely different points. Some people are talking about skill and others about physical play. Not the same thing.

Some players from the 80s/90s would have no place in today’s league because they’re not skilled enough. Some players from today would not stand up to a more physical style of play. It goes both ways

Last edited:

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The reason players can’t be as physical anymore is because the league continues to change rules to protect the stars, same reason why you can barely touch QB’s anymore in the NFL. Are players today “softer” because of that? No- it’s a different era that literally has different rules.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The reason players can’t be as physical anymore is because the league continues to change rules to protect the stars, same reason why you can barely touch QB’s anymore in the NFL. Are players today “softer” because of that? No- it’s a different era that literally has different rules.

Meh LeBron seems pretty soft and whiny to me. Great player scores lots of points occasionally even plays defense. But what a baby.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Meh LeBron seems pretty soft and whiny to me. Great player scores lots of points occasionally even plays defense. But what a baby.
I agree he whines a lot. And he probably wouldn’t have had a 20 year career had he started in the 80s.

But he is a physical specimen. Guys his size back then were in the game to rebound and play enforcer. Not do what Lebron does on the court. Charles Oakley is one of the tough guys of his generation (rightfully so) and he’s smaller than Lebron. Just as people rightfully say MJ would adapt to todays style of play I’m fairly certain someone like Lebron would have found a way to put up points in the 80s/90s.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron