Nigel's horrible take on 90's NBA

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Listen to the last third or so of this podcast for what may be the worst NBA take ever. Nigel gives gross disrespect to the 90's in general, but Jordan and Rodman specifically. Dylan (Michael) was respectful in his disagreement, but Nigel deserved to be cut off. If Aiden hung up on him, it would have been justified.

P.S. For the record. Yes, I'm old. But I lived minutes from the Bulls practice facility in the 90's and went to lots of games at the old Chicago Stadium and the new United Center. Unlike Nigel, I didn't form my opinion by watching a few videos with a recency bias.

AllTimeClone

Apr 16, 2021
Listen to the last third or so of this podcast for what may be the worst NBA take ever. Nigel gives gross disrespect to the 90's in general, but Jordan and Rodman specifically. Dylan (Michael) was respectful in his disagreement, but Nigel deserved to be cut off. If Aiden hung up on him, it would have been justified.

P.S. For the record. Yes, I'm old. But I lived minutes from the Bulls practice facility in the 90's and went to lots of games at the old Chicago Stadium and the new United Center. Unlike Nigel, I didn't form my opinion by watching a few videos with a recency bias.

The level of skill current NBA players have now compared to then is not even comparable. Players now are taller, more athletic, and can shoot multitudes better than 90's players. Jordan has lower efficiency ratings than many of the current stars in an era where teams couldn't even double or play zone due to invalid defensive sets.

There is a reason Kareem, Bill Russell, or Wilt Chamberlain aren't considered the GOAT's of basketball, and it's the same reason Jordan shouldn't be. The skill levels of current players is so much higher than the guys of that era.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The level of skill current NBA players have now compared to then is not even comparable. Players now are taller, more athletic, and can shoot multitudes better than 90's players. Jordan has lower efficiency ratings than many of the current stars in an era where teams couldn't even double or play zone due to invalid defensive sets.

There is a reason Kareem, Bill Russell, or Wilt Chamberlain aren't considered the GOAT's of basketball, and it's the same reason Jordan shouldn't be. The skill levels of current players is so much higher than the guys of that era.

2 words. Hand. Check.

Jordan averaged 32/8/8 before they bumped up to a 27 team league and you were allowed to be mugged on a daily basis. Give the freedom of movement to a guy like him, and it would be over.

Put Lebron in Jordan’s era, and you have another Magic Johnson. Hall of Famer, but not Mike.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

DOB checks out.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

Hi Nigel

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

Holy sh*t, this might be one of the singlest dumbest takes ever posted on Cyclone Fanatic. And that’s saying something!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree with you on this part: The level of skill current NBA players have now compared to then is not even comparable. There were certainly some players in all eras that had elite skills that would always hold up. However, the amount of talent across the NBA has to be far deeper than ever. It is almost as if the players in the NBA are too good at the game. I am not a NBA die-hard...but I find myself fascinated by the talent level of players almost every time I flip to a game to take a peek. Jordan, Magic, Bird...and the legendary centers of old will ALWAYS be considered among the GOATS...as they should be!

AllTimeClone

Apr 16, 2021
2 words. Hand. Check.

Jordan averaged 32/8/8 before they bumped up to a 27 team league and you were allowed to be mugged on a daily basis. Give the freedom of movement to a guy like him, and it would be over.
Jordan couldn't hit threes until they moved in the three point line, he also had terrible metrics driving to his left. Imagine what teams would do nowadays with those advanced analytics.

I know a lot of you have a lot of nostalgia from getting forcefed Jordan content from the 90's, but any NBA team nowadays would murder those teams of the past with three point shooting.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Derp

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've been enjoying their podcast and sometimes the younger person's perspective. I'll make sure to check this out as someone who was a huge NBA fan starting in the late 80s but I never stopped being a fan so I'm biased towards certain players of today too. I didn't live in Chicago during Bulls years but I was a fan during Jordan era and I did live there from 2003 to 2015 and was a huge fan during Rose years especially.

I imagine it must be frustrating for some fans to accept players form before their time were better but there are some players from the 80s and 90s where they just haven't clearly been surpassed other than 3 point shooting, that's the one area where the game has clearly evolved and improved although I'm sure many players from that era would be better 3 point shooters if they played today.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Jordan couldn't hit threes until they moved in the three point line, he also had terrible metrics driving to his left. Imagine what teams would do nowadays with those advanced analytics.

I know a lot of you have a lot of nostalgia from getting forcefed Jordan content from the 90's, but any NBA team nowadays would murder those teams of the past with three point shooting.

Nobody would be able to guard Jordan today. Jordan and Pippen would wreak havoc on offense in today's game. If you don't agree, you don't know **** about how basketball works.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

No players back then shot threes at the rate any do now, and very few at the %.

Absolutely nobody back then shot like Tyrese Haliburton is right now, not even Bird or Reggie Miller.

It's absurd to think it's purely about the players and not about the era and evolution of what is still a pretty young sport.

Knocking Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan because they weren't the greatest three point shooter is a really, really, really bad take. I mean, really bad.

The NBA has been my favorite sport almost since birth in the 80s straight from today. Really great players in every era, discounting guys like MJ and Magic is every bit as dumb as acting like LeBron and Jokic are just average or woudln't be great in previous eras.

Of course the game has changed and evolved. It doesn't diminish greatest of players in their day against each other and it doesn't mean if Michael Jordan or Hakeem Olojuwan were born in 2000 they'd be dog$hit NBA player in 2024...they'd still be mostly who they were, just a little different.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Not exactly going to his left, but this shot by Jordan from the left side was iconic.

Reactions: rosshm16

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Nobody would be able to guard Jordan today. Jordan and Pippen would wreak havoc on offense in today's game. If you don't agree, you don't know **** about how basketball works.
No one in the NBA currently even plays defense until the playoffs & even then it’s not close to how physical the game was back then.
Also to Dylan’s point. If Jordan was born in 1998 with all the new advanced nutrition, training, etc, he’d be just as dominant.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2 words. Hand. Check.

Put Lebron in Jordan’s era, and you have another Magic Johnson. Hall of Famer, but not Mike.

Acting as if MJ wasn't that athletic or wouldn't be by 2024's standards totally disqualifies his opinion.

I'm someone who watches Haliburton, Doncic or Jokic almost every single night, watching them to me is better than NFL, NCAA fb, NCAA bb, everything else...I absolutely love it...but it's a super stupid statement to act like MJ wouldn't have been any good if he was a 24 year old right now born in 2000. He'd still be totally transformative because he's a once in a generation athlete.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've been enjoying their podcast and sometimes the younger person's perspective. I'll make sure to check this out as someone who was a huge NBA fan starting in the late 80s but I never stopped being a fan so I'm biased towards certain players of today too. I didn't live in Chicago during Bulls years but I was a fan during Jordan era and I did live there from 2003 to 2015 and was a huge fan during Rose years especially.

I imagine it must be frustrating for some fans to accept players form before their time were better but there are some players from the 80s and 90s where they just haven't clearly been surpassed other than 3 point shooting, that's the one area where the game has clearly evolved and improved although I'm sure many players from that era would be better 3 point shooters if they played today.

I agree. Even though I think it is a horrible take, I like hearing from another perspective. These guys are passionate about the Cyclones and have interesting discussions.

Good thing my kids don't think like Nigel. Otherwise, I would have to review the beneficiaries of my revocable trust! ;)

Help Support Us

Become a patron