Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
No, it doesn't matter how you or I use the word. The question would be, did BF himself call any white players "thugs." ISU and coach had better be able to say yes, with verification...

The word thug has been used by many cultures for over a hundred years. I remember the term being used years ago in my all white small town about some troublemaking teens. Kind of a stretch IMO, that if Fennelly used the word thug that it makes him a racist........and the suit claims racial discrimination. It is apparent that Fennelly criticized whites, blacks, and hispanics as well. Seems that was just his style. If Fennelly is discriminating on race, then it would be logical that he is discriminatory against pretty much all people of the race he discriminates against.

Otherwise it can be argued that it is not about race, it is about personality conflicts between people that just do not get along.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The word thug has been used by many cultures for over a hundred years. I remember the term being used years ago in my all white small town about some troublemaking teens. Kind of a stretch IMO, that if Fennelly used the word thug that it makes him a racist........and the suit claims racial discrimination. It is apparent that Fennelly criticized whites, blacks, and hispanics as well. Seems that was just his style. If Fennelly is discriminating on race, then it would be logical that he is discriminatory against pretty much all people of the race he discriminates against.

Otherwise it can be argued that it is not about race, it is about personality conflicts between people that just do not get along.
Again, it doesn't matter how the word "thug" has been used by "many cultures for over 100 years." It matters how BF used it...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Again, it doesn't matter how the word "thug" has been used by "many cultures for over 100 years." It matters how BF used it...

Bill Fennelly will be 59. I am from the same era. Thug is not a racial term to old geezers like us. And if he used the term once, for the first time with Nikki Moody, that does not make it a racist term. Nikki Moody is charging "racial discrimination". She had an attitude problem and was kicked off the team. Nikki Moody ASKED to be reinstated. She was. Nikki Moody played the rest of the year and earned 1st Team All Big 12. Nikki Moody leaves Iowa State and is drafted into the WNBA. A year later, Nikki Moody files a lawsuit.

Sorry. But I do not buy it. If Nikki Moody was racially discriminated against, then WHY didn't she transfer? WHY did she ask to play for Bill Fennelly if he was such a racial discriminatory *****?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
How do we know that Moody wasn't acting like a thug? And was the only player acting that way?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bill Fennelly will be 59. I am from the same era. Thug is not a racial term to old geezers like us. And if he used the term once, for the first time with Nikki Moody, that does not make it a racist term. Nikki Moody is charging "racial discrimination". She had an attitude problem and was kicked off the team. Nikki Moody ASKED to be reinstated. She was. Nikki Moody played the rest of the year and earned 1st Team All Big 12. Nikki Moody leaves Iowa State and is drafted into the WNBA. A year later, Nikki Moody files a lawsuit.

Sorry. But I do not buy it. If Nikki Moody was racially discriminated against, then WHY didn't she transfer? WHY did she ask to play for Bill Fennelly if he was such a racial discriminatory *****?

This didn't just come out of the blue. She filed with ISU EO last year (they didn't find anything) and then filed with the state. Part of her case is a claim of retaliation for actions after she filled. They could, IMHO, find in ISU favor on most of the accusations and still find in her favor on retaliation.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Agreed on the definition thing.. Thug, to me, has zip to do with race. It's a bully, an aggressively mean person, etc...skin color does not matter.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This is my question....

Don't they record every practice? It would be easy to prove her case in that situation. If not... much tougher.

I don't know.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
One witness overhearing a racist word or phrase would make Moody's case. No matter the context, the word thug would not be that unless it were a clear pattern in a way Fennelly could be seen as racist. Once again it's a stretch but it is part of the case.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This didn't just come out of the blue. She filed with ISU EO last year (they didn't find anything) and then filed with the state. Part of her case is a claim of retaliation for actions after she filled. They could, IMHO, find in ISU favor on most of the accusations and still find in her favor on retaliation.

So the court can find damages of non-racial retaliation? Not a legal scholar and it could be possible, but that seems to defy logic as the case was filed based on racial discrimination. Moody is still a sympathetic figure by me, but if the case goes down with her slinging mud and the case then dismissed she will become infamous

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Good link about case. Moody is not claiming that Fennelly is racist. Issue of Fennelly being a mean coach is irrelevant. The issue is whether Nikki Moody was treated differently by Fennelly and the University because of her race. IMO, this all goes back to her claim of wanting to take Pre-Vet and Fennelly and Iowa State advisors recommending she find a different major, because of the difficulty and also the time required for basketball. Don't know what Moody's grades were like, so won't comment about her. I will say that unless she was an outstanding student that they probably gave her good advice. And if she wasn't a good student then it has nothing to do with race.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So the court can find damages of non-racial retaliation? Not a legal scholar and it could be possible, but that seems to defy logic as the case was filed based on racial discrimination. Moody is still a sympathetic figure by me, but if the case goes down with her slinging mud and the case then dismissed she will become infamous

No, retaliation because she filed a complaint with the university. You are supposed to be able to file and not have to fear retaliation. Not saying this is what happened but I think that is what she is claiming. I think the discrimination and retaliation are separate (although related) issues.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
No, retaliation because she filed a complaint with the university. You are supposed to be able to file and not have to fear retaliation. Not saying this is what happened but I think that is what she is claiming. I think the discrimination and retaliation are separate (although related) issues.
Got it. Once again I can see a jury believing Moody felt what she claims, but then not finding facts to support it was what transpired.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Good link about case. Moody is not claiming that Fennelly is racist.

??? Could've fooled me. A quote from Moody's lawsuit filed in state district court claims that she suffered discrimination that led to a "hostile education environment through racial harassment."

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

I've used the term in my write ups over the years to describe a style of play. Usually in reference to ATM. No racial tones to it whatsoever. Using the traditional meaning of thug would also not be racial. According to the urban dictionary it would refer to someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. That was how at Tupac defined it. Again, not racial.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Live used the term in my write ups over the years to describe a style of play. Usually in reference to ATM. No racial tones to it whatsoever. Using the traditional meaning of thug would also not be racial. According to the urban dictionary it would refer to someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. That was how at Tupac defined it. Again, not racial.

We can try to explain thug a million different ways. It is standardly accepted in discrimination cases that thug is can be considered a racially charged word, especially if only used to describe people of color. Again intent is not the litmus test. And ignorance is not an excuse either. Any coach who works with urban blacks should know that.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Trying to claim that "thug" isn't a racially charged term, especially within the context of black basketball players, is weird and kind of embarrassing, guys. It absolutely is. It doesn't matter if you can find some other definition, what matters is the context. And within the context of black players it is 100% racially charged.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Lest we should forget that "thug" recently became a racially charged word...and defined by whom? I think it's interesting that we allow people to attribute their own bias towards an otherwise common word...and then use it to define another entire group of people who use it. It's one thing for a word to have negative historical significance. It's another thing to just adopt a word and call it bad. People look for ways to be offended anymore.

On the other hand, as I mentioned before, other words should be used differently or not at all, based on their historical significance. I found this opinion piece yesterday to be interesting. Not sure I agree with it all but it offers some different thoughts on the subject.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/02/opinions/n-word-double-standard-debate-bailey/index.html

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Trying to claim that "thug" isn't a racially charged term, especially within the context of black basketball players, is weird and kind of embarrassing, guys. It absolutely is. It doesn't matter if you can find some other definition, what matters is the context. And within the context of black players it is 100% racially charged.

Really?

Chris Andersen, the Birdman, is listed as a member of the All-NBA THUG team. You better tell Bleacher Report that the Birdman can not be on the Thug team......because he isn't black, he is white.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/487013-nba-all-thug-team