Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
My solution:
Moody gets a 4 year pre-vet scholarship. If she graduates, good for her. If not, State's obligation is met.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Pretty bad that one of the players that Nikki Moody claims was a target of racism by Bill Fennelly denies Nikki Moody's claims. So Nikki Moody is either making things up or lying. Which undermines her credibility. Nikki Moody also cites Brynn Williamson as being a target of mistreatment as well. Bryn Tweets her support for Coach Fennelly.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/20/11468964/former-players-support-fennelly-lawsuit

The lawsuit claims that former ISU player Chassidy Cole, who played at Iowa State from 2009-2012, took verbal abuse from Fennelly during her time at Iowa State. The lawsuit even claims that Fennelly told Cole that she "will end up in prison, just like her mother."
Cole told the Iowa State Daily on Monday night that this never happened.
"I've never been treated with racism, and I've never seen any of his players be treated with racism," Cole said.
Cole went on to say that Fennelly is the same way with everyone, and that it's never been about race.
"It really was a shocker that Fennelly would be called racist because he's never shown me any type of that behavior," Cole told the Daily. "And we barely got playing time. It was never a topic of discussion."

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Pretty bad that one of the players that Nikki Moody claims was a target of racism by Bill Fennelly denies Nikki Moody's claims. So Nikki Moody is either making things up or lying. Which undermines her credibility. Nikki Moody also cites Brynn Williamson as being a target of mistreatment as well. Bryn Tweets her support for Coach Fennelly.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/20/11468964/former-players-support-fennelly-lawsuit

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I suggest you read Coles comments closely. I don't read that she said Nikki lied.

She said she never perceived racism toward her or other players and the comments by staff about her mom were "mostly" positive. Not ONLY but "mostly".

I havent read where Brynn said Nikki lied either, just that she supported coach. Brynn's mom has said that'she is now aware of things her daughter shielded her from knowing.

Seanna's mom has been an avid supporter of coach, but Nikki and Seanna were best friends, so what gives?

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Don't give up so easily. Education, historical context and experience have a lot to do with how people perceive words. Unfortunately though, you are right to a large degree...people are easily offended these days. I think it's because it's easier to be offended and lash out than it is to have an intelligent conversation and admit you may be wrong or settle differences. Likewise, it's easier to offend and then accuse people of being too sensitive.

But let me ask you, if you had a good friend who was black and grew up in The Pink Houses, wouldn't you believe that their interpretation of certain words and phrases could be different than a black friend who grew up in Ames, Ia.?

IDK...it's a great topic and will be interesting to see how the courts feels about what was said. I'd hate to be part of that case...on either side.

I have not given up on people just pointing out a fact. To your question, I have lived in 12 different towns/cities here in Iowa and 5 outside of the state in my life. I have friends from a number of different races and you are very correct that they all look at words/actions differently. And while I agree we should be able to discuss the subject openly there are those who no matter what facts are given they will not change their mind.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I suggest you read Coles comments closely. I don't read that she said Nikki lied.

She said she never perceived racism toward her or other players and the comments by staff about her mom were "mostly" positive. Not ONLY but "mostly".

I havent read where Brynn said Nikki lied either, just that she supported coach. Brynn's mom has said that'she is now aware of things her daughter shielded her from knowing.

Seanna's mom has been an avid supporter of coach, but Nikki and Seanna were best friends, so what gives?

In this article it sure does make it seem that way. And if being called a "thug" is a racial epithet, then how could Cole's statement that she was never treated with racism be true? Nikki Moody's version is not being substantiated by others she has named. That is a big problem.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_ab91880a-05d4-11e6-884b-dfb472d1c73e.html

In one instance, the suit claims Fennelly told Cole that she "will end up in prison, just like her mother." Cole said that never happened.The suit also claims Fennelly called Cole a "thug" and that she was "ungrateful" for what Fennelly did for her.
“I’ve never been treated with racism, and I’ve never seen any of his players be treated with racism," Cole said.
Cole said the staff hardly talked about her mother being in prison, and if the coaches brought it up, it was mostly positive.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I have not given up on people just pointing out a fact. To your question, I have lived in 12 different towns/cities here in Iowa and 5 outside of the state in my life. I have friends from a number of different races and you are very correct that they all look at words/actions differently. And while I agree we should be able to discuss the subject openly there are those who no matter what facts are given they will not change their mind.

I don't agree with it being fact but I appreciate your response and agree with you regarding those who are unwilling to change their minds. I'd add that the same argument goes for those who refuse to accept that verbiage can change meaning as time goes on.

Thug yesterday = neerdowell

Thug today = negative black stereotype

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Trying to claim that "thug" isn't a racially charged term, especially within the context of black basketball players, is weird and kind of embarrassing, guys. It absolutely is. It doesn't matter if you can find some other definition, what matters is the context. And within the context of black players it is 100% racially charged.

Sorry, but when it is someone like Tupac that defines it in non racial terms then we have to accept that it can be used in non racial terms

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Nikki's problem is that the allegations about other players and Fennelly are being refuted by those players. Not a good thing when your allegations are not backed up, but instead are denied. And those same players come out in support of Fennelly. And Kidd Blaskowsky claims that Nikki Moody was the problem. And those same players should have no fear about coming forward, since they are done with basketball and Iowa State. Moody's credibility is in question.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
Does anyone really care about a white man's opinion on racism or sexism? Only other white men do as far as I can tell. Not complaining, but this is my observation.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Jared Homan was a thug - but he was our thug!

Lol. While I understand your meaning, it didn't go over too well when Gmac reportedly called Homan a thug that almost led to a brawl between GMac and Morgan at UNI. But it shows how you use the word also makes a big difference. Dont' know if CBF used the word or not but if he said something like we need a thug on the boards thats' one thing. To call a player a thug in anger or critical manner is obvioulsly a lot different, especially a minority player imo. I'm old too and right or wrong, over the years I have come to associate the word thug as almost always something negative and often with inner city gangs. I don't think it makes CBF racist if it was used, but definitely a word any coach would have to be extremely careful on how it's used.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
too bad Kidd wasn't bold enough to say all of this while she was happily being one of Nikki's minions towards Emiah at Nikki's command!! Real easy to say these things now when Nikki wasn't around! She was almost as bad towards Emiah as Nikki was because she was afraid of Nikki!!

rbingley, you have to remember, these are 18 to 22 year olds. All kids may not have been raised as well as yours. KB maybe had a few more hurdles in life than EM had growin up. I think she eventually got it figured out. It's too bad NM had such a negative impact on ISU womens BB and your family.

rbingley

Jul 16, 2011
Moody and her band of minions were the sole reason for our departure! We had no issue with coach, other then the fact that a blind eye was turned on all that was going on!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron