Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Trying to claim that "thug" isn't a racially charged term, especially within the context of black basketball players, is weird and kind of embarrassing, guys. It absolutely is. It doesn't matter if you can find some other definition, what matters is the context. And within the context of black players it is 100% racially charged.

https://irishthugco.com/

you may be correct but the legal system doesn't work like that. just one instance of him salling a non-AA a thug completely takes away the legal aspect of this claim.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Well, I think of a thug as a bully. I asked my son the other day his definition of a thug and he said rather quickly, a black person. Good luck proving it unless he only used it toward Nikki and or other black players on the team.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Well, I think of a thug as a bully. I asked my son the other day his definition of a thug and he said rather quickly, a black person. Good luck proving it unless he only used it toward Nikki and or other black players on the team.

Like I said, when Bleacher Report has a White Guy on their All-NBA Thug Team, the attempt to claim that "thug" has to be a racial term which refers only to blacks goes out the window.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
https://irishthugco.com/

you may be correct but the legal system doesn't work like that. just one instance of him salling a non-AA a thug completely takes away the legal aspect of this claim.

Like I said, when Bleacher Report has a White Guy on their All-NBA Thug Team, the attempt to claim that "thug" has to be a racial term which refers only to blacks goes out the window.

lol, now I remember why I wasn't posting in this thread. Have fun guys.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
When I'm looking for sources to reinforce my arguments I know I always go to Bleacher Report first.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When I'm looking for sources to reinforce my arguments I know I always go to Bleacher Report first.

The argument was made that Thug is a racial term, especially amongst basketball players. I cited the Bleacher Report article that white basketball players are called thugs as well. Thug is a term about behavior.....not really race.
It is not solely a name only called blacks. And that completely undermines Nikki Moody's claim. Anyway, this case sounds like it revolves somewhat around Nikki Moody's choosing of a major at Iowa State and the advice she was given. It sounds like Moody is trying to claim she was advised against taking Pre-Vet because she was black. More likely that she was advised against it because of the difficulty of the major and the time required for basketball along with her academics.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We can try to explain thug a million different ways. It is standardly accepted in discrimination cases that thug is can be considered a racially charged word, especially if only used to describe people of color. Again intent is not the litmus test. And ignorance is not an excuse either. Any coach who works with urban blacks should know that.

Trying to claim that "thug" isn't a racially charged term, especially within the context of black basketball players, is weird and kind of embarrassing, guys. It absolutely is. It doesn't matter if you can find some other definition, what matters is the context. And within the context of black players it is 100% racially charged.

These, 100%. What Webster's says and what we might have learned growing up is not how it is perceived to be today. You can't argue that "my" understanding is how other people should perceive and except it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
These, 100%. What Webster's says and what we might have learned growing up is not how it is perceived to be today. You can't argue that "my" understanding is how other people should perceive and except it.

It is perceived by some to be a racial term and perceived by some to be a term describing behavior. Totally ambiguous. When mainstream articles of today use the term describing white basketball players as well as black basketball players, it completely undermines the argument that the term must be racial.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It is perceived by some to be a racial term and perceived by some to be a term describing behavior. Totally ambiguous. When mainstream articles of today use the term describing white basketball players as well as black basketball players, it completely undermines the argument that the term must be racial.
"Mainstream" articles of six years ago.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

But this is the problem today. Every person now decides what a word or statement means (in their mind) and if you do not agree with them YOU are wrong. Some see it as a racial term and others see it as meaning people who are causing harm. So to argue it at length is a waste of time as those who have made up their mind about the meaning are not likely to change their mind.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014

You're doing nothing to support your argument here.

Ambiguity is subjective in the world of race. You're most likely white which means you have no concept of black perspective. The FACT is that some people BELIEVE the word thug to be a racially charged word. It's been used against/at them in that context. You can't strip them of that belief, even if it's perceived to be false in your mind. Remember, PERCEPTION is REALITY...so you're arguing against yourself.

And never use the phrase "when mainstream articles of today" again. For the love of God, any blogger with a pulse can be considered mainstream.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You're doing nothing to support your argument here.

Ambiguity is subjective in the world of race. You're most likely white which means you have no concept of black perspective. The FACT is that some people BELIEVE the word thug to be a racially charged word. It's been used against/at them in that context. You can't strip them of that belief, even if it's perceived to be false in your mind. Remember, PERCEPTION is REALITY...so you're arguing against yourself.

And never use the phrase "when mainstream articles of today" again. For the love of God, any blogger with a pulse can be considered mainstream.

We are really setting the bar low with your standards. Everything is racism......or reverse racism.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
We are really setting the bar low with your standards. Everything is racism......or reverse racism.

Stormin, I've read enough of your posts to know that having an intelligent conversation with you is next to impossible.

If that's what you read from what I wrote, I feel bad for you in a society like the one you live in. You'll struggle while others advance.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Stormin, I've read enough of your posts to know that having an intelligent conversation with you is next to impossible.

If that's what you read from what I wrote, I feel bad for you in a society like the one you live in. You'll struggle while others advance.

I believe that are showing racism towards me. That is my belief. So it must be true.:swoon:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
"Thug" means criminal, or hoodlum. Plain and simple. If an instructor here used the word "thug" to describe a student, they would be ushered out of ISU...

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
[/B]

But this is the problem today. Every person now decides what a word or statement means (in their mind) and if you do not agree with them YOU are wrong. Some see it as a racial term and others see it as meaning people who are causing harm. So to argue it at length is a waste of time as those who have made up their mind about the meaning are not likely to change their mind.

Don't give up so easily. Education, historical context and experience have a lot to do with how people perceive words. Unfortunately though, you are right to a large degree...people are easily offended these days. I think it's because it's easier to be offended and lash out than it is to have an intelligent conversation and admit you may be wrong or settle differences. Likewise, it's easier to offend and then accuse people of being too sensitive.

But let me ask you, if you had a good friend who was black and grew up in The Pink Houses, wouldn't you believe that their interpretation of certain words and phrases could be different than a black friend who grew up in Ames, Ia.?

IDK...it's a great topic and will be interesting to see how the courts feels about what was said. I'd hate to be part of that case...on either side.