Oakland @ Iowa

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
I agree, which is why I said tickets sold.

Unfortunately, butts in seats has been very low. I'm doing my part, I've already got tickets for three different games this year. But it's not only Iowa that's been having the problem of filling the arena. Attendance has been slightly better this year than last - at least it would appear so.

SouthernHawk, you'd find it much easier (and cheaper) to attend your beloved Hawkeye games if you'd just transfer from ISU to Iowa......PLEASE.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Iowa doesnt have a BB practice facality, wow. I figured they would have a great one. I guess they just spend their money of FB. When Alford said Iowa is a FB school he was correct I guess. If they have to practice in a dump good luck keeping Lick IF he wins at Iowa. I wonder if their practice gym has those extra out of bounds lines on the court. State gym or wherever our team practices now sounds great compaired to Iowa's.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Iowa doesnt have a BB practice facality, wow. I figured they would have a great one. I guess they just spend their money of FB. When Alford said Iowa is a FB school he was correct I guess. If they have to practice in a dump good luck keeping Lick IF he wins at Iowa. I wonder if their practice gym has those extra out of bounds lines on the court. State gym or wherever our team practices now sounds great compaired to Iowa's.

Here ya go - to be completed in a few years.

Regents approve Carver-Hawkeye Arena $47 million revitalization project

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Just FWIW, Iowa hasn't averaged below 50,000 at Kinnick in 30+ years (1974), and that includes some of Iowa's worst teams in history. Even during the 60s and 70s, Iowa averaged 42,000+ fans.

As for basketball, up until last year, Iowa was in the top 25 nationally for attendance for 20 straight years. Even last year, during Iowa's worst season ever, Carver averaged 9,000+ tickets sold.

And, you can't tell me that ISU fans have been turning out in droves for the ISU basketball games thus far this season. I've had the chance to watch one of the games, and Hilton was very empty.

And did you see JTS during the ISU vs. Mizzou game this year?

Anyways, my point is, hello pot, meet kettle.

And Iowa probably has devoted an entire college or at least a major at the university to inventive ticket counting.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Just FWIW, Iowa hasn't averaged below 50,000 at Kinnick in 30+ years (1974), and that includes some of Iowa's worst teams in history. Even during the 60s and 70s, Iowa averaged 42,000+ fans.

As for basketball, up until last year, Iowa was in the top 25 nationally for attendance for 20 straight years. Even last year, during Iowa's worst season ever, Carver averaged 9,000+ tickets sold.

And, you can't tell me that ISU fans have been turning out in droves for the ISU basketball games thus far this season. I've had the chance to watch one of the games, and Hilton was very empty.

So you can use the "tickets sold" claim but ISU can't? The attendance at the ISU/Mizzou game this year was 46,000+. Which is just slightly less than the average for the year. With a horrible team, we are still filling our stadium to 90% capacity.

Same goes for basketball. While Iowa is announcing crowds of 9,000 which is ~58% of capacity. You guys can beat your football "sellout" drum but its pretty sad you are drawing 30-40% capacity actual crowds and just over 50% announced for men's basketball games.

So my point still stands...

Iowa fans support their team when they win. Prove to me that I'm wrong.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
So you can use the "tickets sold" claim but ISU can't? The attendance at the ISU/Mizzou game this year was 46,000+. Which is just slightly less than the average for the year. With a horrible team, we are still filling our stadium to 90% capacity.

Same goes for basketball. While Iowa is announcing crowds of 9,000 which is ~58% of capacity. You guys can beat your football "sellout" drum but its pretty sad you are drawing 30-40% capacity actual crowds and just over 50% announced for men's basketball games.

So my point still stands...

Iowa fans support their team when they win. Prove to me that I'm wrong.

Actually, that was exactly my point. That the exact same thing is happening at ISU.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Except we aren't advertising a sellout streak.:skeptical:

-keep.

Even so, that's not the point of this convo. Somebody said that Iowa fans don't show up when the teams are losing, and I proved with numbers that that's not the case. Even last year, when Iowa played decent teams, CHA had a good 12,000 fans there (MSU, PSU, Purdue, and OSU for sure).

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
And Iowa probably has devoted an entire college or at least a major at the university to inventive ticket counting.

Anyone notice that the ISU women started out outdrawing even a possible bogus count for the IOWA men's games?

Over 10,000 for the ISU womens game last Sunday and just over 8,000 for the Iowa men's game on Monday or yesterdays Iowa men's game. Looks like last yr.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Even so, that's not the point of this convo. Somebody said that Iowa fans don't show up when the teams are losing, and I proved with numbers that that's not the case. Even last year, when Iowa played decent teams, CHA had a good 12,000 fans there (MSU, PSU, Purdue, and OSU for sure).

Must be that they want to see the visiting team's game, not OWA's

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Anyone notice that the ISU women started out outdrawing even a possible bogus count for the IOWA men's games?

Over 10,000 for the ISU womens game last Sunday and just over 8,000 for the Iowa men's game on Monday or yesterdays Iowa men's game. Looks like last yr.

So there were more ISU fans there for the WBB game than there were for the football game two weeks ago?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Oh baby, attendance smack talk. It's on now!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
nice try.... the crowd was decent for that FB game. Even the announcers gave props to the fans of Iowa State.

Besides... it was a sell out... we had more than 8 ppl there.

-keep

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

I'm not sure I believe any numbers that come out from EIU. Apparently your definition of sold out is not what sold out really means.