Obesity in the US (and Iowa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've gotten really fat over the years. Used to be 136 lbs, partially because my resting heart rate was 120-130 so my metabolism was sky high. Once I took medicine that corrected that, my metabolism basically shut off. Thankfully, both my kids are very healthy and a proper weight (maybe too skinny).

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
A lot of it is the food companies and misguiding the public to drink "diet" coke or reduced fat and so on. They need sales to keep increasing into the future for shareholders. It really just means more sugar. There is also fast food on every corner and placement of candies around the cash register.
Stay away from the sugar folks, alcohol, and reduce carbs.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Not surprising. Seems like processed food, alcohol, stress, and lack of healthy hobbies and habits are the issues I see. I am fortunate with good genetics, as that plays more and more into the issue.

Its funny, USA was the first and maybe one of the only countries where the poor people are fat. I laugh every time they ask me if i want to donate to some food bank or other charity giving away food. The only ones that really need it are kids of parents who are worthless it seems, which is another different issue.

From my regular travels, the south and the midwest seem to be the worst, but even the west coast seems to be in bad shape for this (before i looked at the OP's link confirming this). I live in an area where an active lifestyle is easy and rewarding (mountains, woods, rivers, coast, etc) but people in general are lazy, stressed out from life, and such.

How much of all of this is a mental health issue? All the morbidly obese people I have learned about are all mentally ill. Thoughts?

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Another unpopular one... but simply eating less, and continuing to eat less, was the key to my weight loss and sustained weight control.

I found that you just cannot out exercise a bad diet or too much food (especially in my 40's). For a long time I thought I could.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just read an article about how the cigarette companies in the '80s were heavily involved in the production/advertising etc. for processed foods. They knew how to tap into addictions. And food companies have funded both political party campaigns for a long time.

It's a societal failure to not value food as medicine and we've convinced ourselves that cooking is too hard or expensive and it doesn't have to be.

Healthy food on average does cost more, but I'd like to see if people still spend more on bad food in mass quantities than they would for healthier food in what's needed.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06 and 0u812

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Another unpopular one... but simply eating less, and continuing to eat less, was the key to my weight loss and sustained weight control.

I found that you just cannot out exercise a bad diet or too much food (especially in my 40's). For a long time I thought I could.

That's really what it comes down to. Likely unpopular because it's not a quick fix and it takes a lot of effort to reduce food intake.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and 0u812

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I wouldn't bet the majority on mental health. I would go as far to say it is 99% what we eat and what we perceive as good food versus bad food. Again it is all brain wash from food companies and partially the government for allowing it to unfold this way knowing that nothing has changed and just getting worse.

Reactions: 0u812

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

But in my struggles I’ve found that exercise actually curbs my appetite. It’s when I sit around that I over consume, especially with the carbs. So for me, diet alone doesn’t do it because I can’t stick to it unless I’m exercising regularly.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
We ultimately need a cultural shift as to how we view nutrition, similar to how we turned against smoking.

For exercise, any sort of fitness program is fine if you’re starting out; find a way to incorporate weights or resistance training a couple days a week. More muscle mass requires more calories, increasing your metabolism.

Pair it with a cardio exercise you enjoy (walking, running, biking, swimming, and you’ve got a good base.

But ultimately it won’t get you far if you don’t take your diet seriously.

Last edited:

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Pretty simple (outside of extenuating health circumstances); if you're not active, you absolutely do not need the majority of the food/calories you think you do.

I don't disagree. But it's also becoming more complicated I think. There's a lot about our lifestyles that is messing up a lot of how our bodies are intended to function.

Seed oils... sitting.... screens... plastics... etc. Our hormones, sleep habits, and caloric intakes are jacked up.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I wouldn't bet the majority on mental health. I would go as far to say it is 99% what we eat and what we perceive as good food versus bad food. Again it is all brain wash from food companies and partially the government for allowing it to unfold this way knowing that nothing has changed and just getting worse.

Agreed. I mean, Subway is healthy, right? Why do we consider a footlong loaf of highly sweetened bread to be a healthy option? What does that say about the other options that this is the healthy alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.