Obesity in the US (and Iowa)

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Every time I travel outside the US it's a grim reminder about how freaking unhealthy most Americans are.
Also, when you dine in at a restaurant in Europe, you'll quickly notice the portion sizes are much different. Many times the US restaurant will give enough for two full meals. Which is why I will usually eat half and bring the other half home

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Agreed. I mean, Subway is healthy, right? Why do we consider a footlong loaf of highly sweetened bread to be a healthy option? What does that say about the other options that this is the healthy alternative?
Ahh Subway.......2 grams of meat, iceberg lettuce, and 70 grams of bread.

• Winner
Reactions: BoxsterCy

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
losing weight is as simple as calories in/calories out. it’s nearly impossible to outrun a diet.

being healthy and having good nutrition is a whole other story. specific diets and trying to eat better/healthier foods can have a huge benefit, not just in terms of weight.

personally, I’ve lost the 25 pounds I gained during Covid. I don’t think I am the healthiest person in the world- I basically just decided to eat a little smaller portion and cut out sugary drinks. if you don’t drink calories, it’s MUCH easier to lose weight.

I am happy enough (for now) with how I look and feel. I don’t worry too much about exactly what I eat, so long as I don’t eat too much of it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not surprising. Seems like processed food, alcohol, stress, and lack of healthy hobbies and habits are the issues I see. I am fortunate with good genetics, as that plays more and more into the issue.

Its funny, USA was the first and maybe one of the only countries where the poor people are fat. I laugh every time they ask me if i want to donate to some food bank or other charity giving away food. The only ones that really need it are kids of parents who are worthless it seems, which is another different issue.

From my regular travels, the south and the midwest seem to be the worst, but even the west coast seems to be in bad shape for this (before i looked at the OP's link confirming this). I live in an area where an active lifestyle is easy and rewarding (mountains, woods, rivers, coast, etc) but people in general are lazy, stressed out from life, and such.

How much of all of this is a mental health issue? All the morbidly obese people I have learned about are all mentally ill. Thoughts?

It can affect brain function along with sedentary behavior.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think people focus too much on carbs/sugars vs fat or calorie counting when the real culprit in American culture is processed/frozen/fried vs fresh/unprocessed foods. Don’t stress about the natural sugar in an apple when choosing a snack, just be happy with a simple natural nutrient and fiber rich snack.

Our addiction to soda is a pretty uniquely American thing too. People getting specialty “coffee” that’s mostly cream and sugar is just as bad as soda if not worse. Compare what a person in France or Italy orders at a cafe in their historic coffee traditions to what the avg Starbucks customer orders here.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
losing weight is as simple as calories in/calories out. it’s nearly impossible to outrun a diet.

being healthy and having good nutrition is a whole other story. specific diets and trying to eat better/healthier foods can have a huge benefit, not just in terms of weight.

personally, I’ve lost the 25 pounds I gained during Covid. I don’t think I am the healthiest person in the world- I basically just decided to eat a little smaller portion and cut out sugary drinks. if you don’t drink calories, it’s MUCH easier to lose weight.

I am happy enough (for now) with how I look and feel. I don’t worry too much about exactly what I eat, so long as I don’t eat too much of it.

It sounds easy, but as I’m sure you have seen from your weight loss that it’s actually really hard. That first week of a new diet is excruciating. Quitting carbs is no different than quitting nicotine cold turkey. It takes a high level of discipline and mental With 4K Plus, you get unlimited streams while watching on your home Wi-Fi network, and 3 streams outside your home. Learn how to set your current Wi-Fi as your home network. toughness that many don’t possess.

But, get past that first week or two and then you question why you let it get this far.

Rather than spending billions on weight loss drugs, we need to spend that money on health spa type getaways for those starting diets. Spend two weeks in a place with healthy foods to get past those first weeks of temptation. Then, while you’re there, take classes on how to cook healthy. Cause I think one piece that is missing in this country is cooking skills. We don’t know how to make food at home, so we lean on processed foods instead. Cause you just pop it in the oven, simple.

Reactions: BigCyFan

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It sounds easy, but as I’m sure you have seen from your weight loss that it’s actually really hard. That first week of a new diet is excruciating. Quitting carbs is no different than quitting nicotine cold turkey. It takes a high level of discipline and mental With 4K Plus, you get unlimited streams while watching on your home Wi-Fi network, and 3 streams outside your home. Learn how to set your current Wi-Fi as your home network. toughness that many don’t possess.

But, get past that first week or two and then you question why you let it get this far.

Rather than spending billions on weight loss drugs, we need to spend that money on health spa type getaways for those starting diets. Spend two weeks in a place with healthy foods to get past those first weeks of temptation. Then, while you’re there, take classes on how to cook healthy. Cause I think one piece that is missing in this country is cooking skills. We don’t know how to make food at home, so we lean on processed foods instead. Cause you just pop it in the oven, simple.

Big component of cooking is time and equipment access as well.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
But in my struggles I’ve found that exercise actually curbs my appetite. It’s when I sit around that I over consume, especially with the carbs. So for me, diet alone doesn’t do it because I can’t stick to it unless I’m exercising regularly.
Makes sense, they definitely work in tandem for me too. I just had to get over the "I can eat whatever I want because I run 1/2 marathons" ...type attitude. It just wasn't true (for me).

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

The wifi is making me fat!?

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012

I agree that the more we can devote to lifestyle changes, the better.

To be honest with you, I just forced myself to stop drinking soda (and for me, lemonade) cold turkey, and instead do water. I will do those flavored waters as well.

It DID kind of suck for a few weeks, but honestly after a month or two, if I even tried to drink lemonade it would just be too overwhelmingly sweet.

My wife and I stopped buying snacks and cut out sugary drinks. After a few weeks of cravings suddenly it became a lot easier (and honestly cheaper when it comes to grocery bills).

Reactions: CascadeClone

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
How much of all of this is a mental health issue? All the morbidly obese people I have learned about are all mentally ill. Thoughts?
I watched a clip of a doctor explaining how much of the obesity issue in the US stems from addiction to stimulation and dopamine release. It really hit me when he said, "why do people in the US eat just because they are bored?"

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That's really what it comes down to. Likely unpopular because it's not a quick fix and it takes a lot of effort to reduce food intake.
It really isn't hard to decrease food intake. Just don't buy it and cut portion size!

I love snack foods and sweets, and still eat them everyday. But I limit myself to 1 pop. I don't always have ice cream or cookies on hand. Just buy occasionally.

Also I make less or use smaller plates to limit what I eat.

I could be poster child for a bad diet and no exercise. But I eat less and drink water between meals.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Big component of cooking is time and equipment access as well.

This is where I want to change the way we think to using simple cooking methods. A good meal can be done in 20ish minutes including prep time.

It might mean folks eat similar meals in a week but imo we've also conditioned ourselves to be 'bored' if there's not a burst of flavor etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

My experience is the first week or phase is the easiest. It's not alipping up after a month or two that's the challenge.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I've always had the mindset that food is fuel, not purely for pleasure. If most people cut out booze, drink water, and eat whole foods they'll see results. Being scared of eating or carbs is setting yourself up for failure. If you're hungry there's a reason and it's not normal to be starving all of the time either.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
When I lost weight twenty years ago, I kept track in Excel of EVERYTHING I ate or drank and the calories, estimated calories burned exercising, weight, and total weight lost.
If my weight was not decreasing, I ate less. I tried to lost 1 to 2 pounds a week. It took a half a year to get to where I wanted to be.

Exercise helps, alone, will not result in weight loss.

I now eat healthy three meals a day, but snack at night. But I eat well during the day so I can snack.

Reactions: bos
Status
Not open for further replies.