NBA: ***Official 2017-2018 Playoffs Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If it was the Cubs game you got to see a more dramatic sporting event.

Really too bad what happened with Game 1 officiating because it makes all the difference in the world for game 4 being pivotal or a potential sweep now.

Yep. I knew all along that my priority would go 1) Stanley Cup 2) Cubs 3) NBA. And that's held true.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
LeBron needs to find a team where he has the luxury to take possessions/games off like Curry last night. Take away the two free throws at the end of the game and he scored less than ten points last night and GS still won. Can you imagine the Cavs if LeBron only scored 9 points? Houston may be the spot to go. I can’t see him going to Philly.

Yeah, I don't think LA is that place unless they add another top 10-20 caliber player like you were saying. It could be pretty soon but it's not the automatic winning situation right away.

It would be pretty fun to see LBJ become a supercharged Magic Johnson passer/ball handler/rebounder playing next to Harden. I imagine his other numbers would be ridiculous.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Houston is never going to work- no way they can get money to work with Paul looking for max salary.
I think thats the only spot where supporting cast does anything to help him get over edge.
LA would be hilarious - another set of 10 role players, might as well stay in Cleveland.
Philly would just be essentially replacing Ben Simmons.
I think if he teams up w/ AD somehow - thats the one piece that could actually upend GS - but no way he's going to NOLA.
He needs to go to a team with assets that can land LeBron in free agency and trade for an elite side kick with an expiring contract that a team is willing to give up if they fear he’ll leave them anyways. Think how Indiana traded PG13 away for assets for he could leave them high and dry. Maybe someone like Kemba Walker.

There are potentially some major free agents this summer. LeBron, Durant, Chris Paul, Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, Trevor Ariza, Avery Bradley, JJ Redick, Danny Green.
Elite guys and great 3/D guys.

If you’re the Lakers you add LeBron, PG13, Ariza. Trade Lonzo and whatever assets for Kemba. Keep Ingram and Kuzma. Convince 3/D guys to come for the cheap. Boom.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Yeah, I don't think LA is that place unless they add another top 10-20 caliber player like you were saying. It could be pretty soon but it's not the automatic winning situation right away.

It would be pretty fun to see LBJ become a supercharged Magic Johnson passer/ball handler/rebounder playing next to Harden. I imagine his other numbers would be ridiculous.
Daryl Morey, the Houston GM, said on (I think) ESPN the other day that he’s obsessed with beating Golden State. If you’re Houston and you convince Capela, Paul and Ariza to stay at pay cuts and add LeBron with a minor pay cut that’s a good team.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Kyle Korver has been a huge disappointment this series.

4 points in 44 minutes on 1-10 shooting, 1-6 from 3. That's three games combined.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Daryl Morey, the Houston GM, said on (I think) ESPN the other day that he’s obsessed with beating Golden State. If you’re Houston and you convince Capela, Paul and Ariza to stay at pay cuts and add LeBron with a minor pay cut that’s a good team.

Capela was really playing tough in the playoffs. They definitely have a well constructed team already and LeBron can fill any need in any area on a given night. They could have beat them this year because GSW was wildly inconsistent in that series.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Did you know all along there would be a walk off grand slam in the bottom of the 9th with two outs? I knew it too :)

Yes, I even recall saying to myself "Sweet, Heyward is up, we've got this in the bag" and definitely not "Oh **** Heyward is up. We're screwed."

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kyle Korver has been a huge disappointment this series.

4 points in 44 minutes on 1-10 shooting, 1-6 from 3. That's three games combined.

He was really bad around the rim too. Lots of times the ball just bounce to him and couldn't get the bunny or even get fouled.

Crazy because I'd say in the majority of games until this series he was their 2nd or 3rd best player.

Not to completely derail but is Kyle Korver the best Iowan NBA career? I'm talking people from Iowa who played HS basketball in Iowa. I'd need to look it up but I think his career stats have likely bested Kirk Hinrich and Ricky Davis, Harrison Barnes would have a long way to go.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yes, I even recall saying to myself "Sweet, Heyward is up, we've got this in the bag" and definitely not "Oh **** Heyward is up. We're screwed."

If there was only one out I'd have said 99% chance we've got a double play ball here.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
He was really bad around the rim too. Lots of times the ball just bounce to him and couldn't get the bunny or even get fouled.

Crazy because I'd say in the majority of games until this series he was their 2nd or 3rd best player.

Not to completely derail but is Kyle Korver the best Iowan NBA career? I'm talking people from Iowa who played HS basketball in Iowa. I'd need to look it up but I think his career stats have likely bested Kirk Hinrich and Ricky Davis, Harrison Barnes would have a long way to go.
Korver has had a really good career and a really long one too.

He's led the league in 3pt% 4 times and FT% once. Right now he has the 6th highest career 3pt%. That's impressive without looking at anything else.

But he's got basically no chance at the hall of fame.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Korver has had a really good career and a really long one too.

He's led the league in 3pt% 4 times and FT% once. Right now he has the 6th highest career 3pt%. That's impressive without looking at anything else.

But he's got basically no chance at the hall of fame.

Yeah he's definitely one of the great shooters of all time. I do tend to think he's probably the best Iowan ever in terms of an NBA career from someone who grew up playing in Iowa prior to college. As a Bulls fan from Sioux City I don't need to look up stats to compare him to Hinrich and give him a slight edge there, they are both guys that were fringe all stars in their best years but Korver's longevity and specialization gives him the edge. Also saw enough Ricky Davis to know he could score a lot but in a JR Smith way that doesn't necessarily help winning. Maybe Barnes can throw his name in at some point.

There's a chance I'm missing some player I didn't even know was from Iowa but otherwise I would say Korver is the best.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah he's definitely one of the great shooters of all time. I do tend to think he's probably the best Iowan ever in terms of an NBA career from someone who grew up playing in Iowa prior to college. As a Bulls fan from Sioux City I don't need to look up stats to compare him to Hinrich and give him a slight edge there, they are both guys that were fringe all stars in their best years but Korver's longevity and specialization gives him the edge. Also saw enough Ricky Davis to know he could score a lot but in a JR Smith way that doesn't necessarily help winning. Maybe Barnes can throw his name in at some point.

There's a chance I'm missing some player I didn't even know was from Iowa but otherwise I would say Korver is the best.

I guess the top tier of Iowans who played in the NBA would be (in no particular order) - Korver, Lafrentz, Barnes, and Hinrich. No All Star appearances or All-NBA teams for any of them but Barnes has a ring, so if that's the tiebreaker then Barnes has had the best career. At his current pace he'll pretty easily have the best career numbers of any of them.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So LeBron is obviously leaving Cleveland next month, right? Where would you choose? Philly, Lakers, Rockets, someone else? If I'm LeBron I call up Paul George to go to LA. Chris Paul is free agent. Tell him to leave Houston. Then tell LA to do literally everything in their power to get Anthony Davis. Forget the salary cap or luxury tax. You're the Lakers. If you bring out those four guys you'll be rolling in money so just make it work financially. You also have to get all four of those guys to take slight paycuts to make it work ie Durant in GS.

The problem with the Lakers is that even if he gets PG to come with him then that roster is still optimistically a year away. The timeline for their young guys doesn't line up with Lebron's. But how about the Clips? Jerry West is there as a consultant, they have the 12th and 13th overall picks in the draft, and they have some contracts that can be moved to clear cap space.

I don't know. I suspect that there's a darkhorse team that's going to make a run at Lebron, but we'll see. As the league stands right now there's no ideal situation for him.

What'll be interesting is how the Cavs approach the draft. No way Lebron gives them any kind of assurance that he'll stay, so if they deal the eighth pick for immediate help for him then what if he bails? And if they keep the pick and kickstart a youth movement doesn't that essentially nudge Lebron out the door? Rock and a hard place for Dan Gilbert.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Barnes is the best current player. His team sucks but he can be number 3 guy on a fringe playoff team

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Bryan Colangelo and 76ers “mutually parting ways.” Sixers need to hire former Cavs GM David Griffin to recruit LeBron next month.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Barnes is the best current player. His team sucks but he can be number 3 guy on a fridge playoff team

Agreed. He's a good-not-great scorer. His rep just took such a big hit after his 2016 Finals disappearing act. If he's your third option on offense you're in a pretty good spot. Right now he's just wasting time on a bad Mavericks team that refuses to commit to a full rebuild.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The problem with the Lakers is that even if he gets PG to come with him then that roster is still optimistically a year away. The timeline for their young guys doesn't line up with Lebron's. But how about the Clips? Jerry West is there as a consultant, they have the 12th and 13th overall picks in the draft, and they have some contracts that can be moved to clear cap space.

I don't know. I suspect that there's a darkhorse team that's going to make a run at Lebron, but we'll see. As the league stands right now there's no ideal situation for him.

What'll be interesting is how the Cavs approach the draft. No way Lebron gives them any kind of assurance that he'll stay, so if they deal the eighth pick for immediate help for him then what if he bails? And if they keep the pick and kickstart a youth movement doesn't that essentially nudge Lebron out the door? Rock and a hard place for Dan Gilbert.

What if they get Durant instead of PG?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What if they get Durant instead of PG?

If any team in the league adds the two best players on Earth they're immediately title contenders. Fun to think about it; I just don't think KD is interested in going anywhere. Even with their short bench and lack of depth creeping up on them the Warriors are still a juggernaut, and he's pretty deep into the Silicon Valley scene. Why walk away from that?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron