MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
1) Putting Justin Grimm in is Maddons way of giving up

2) if I were Lester I'd be walking into Maddons office post game and having a little conversation with him about putting in a trash relief pitcher to only hurt his ERA

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It will be a fun thing to see when we finally get both the rotation and the bullpen clicking at the same time. Early on the starters were solid and the bullpen shaky, now the starters are getting roughed up early and the bullpen has been solid the past few games plus some clutch late inning hitting. Davis sure has put to rest the worries about his poor spring training. The good thing is the minor league is still stocked with top shelf position players.

I'm not getting too attached to Happ because I think he's going to be used to get a solid young contract controllable pitcher in a trade at some point this year. He's the kind of player that if the Cubs were to call him up he needs to play nearly every day and where is that going to happen with this current roster other than an injury to someone. Already have log jams in the OF trying to get Almora starts and he's not going to be the every day 2B with Zobrist and Baez there. This team is trying to defend their championship which the last time a team went back to back was the Yankees won 3 in a row from 1998-2000. The Blue Jays did it in 92 and 93 then you have to go back to when the Yanks did it in 77 and 78. The last NL team to do it was the Reds in 75 and 76. So the odds are against this this team defending their title without a little luck and possibly a couple bold trades at the deadline to fill any holes they have. Considering how young this roster is with many of their top players under team control for several years and how it took 108 years between championships if you have to trade a guy like Happ to improve the chances of repeating you do it. I doubt they trade a talent like Happ for a rental like Chapman this time but there is not anything too promising for young starting pitching in the minors right now so Happ could bring back a really solid young middle of the rotation arm that they need with Arrieta and Lackey upcoming free agency.