***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think Beverly has more upside do to him only playing one year in D1. Plus the other guy is injury prone coming off an ACL tear. So I would go with Beverly. He might not be as skilled but seems to be a high motor guy. However, the other guy will bring up our team GPA. So there is always that.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think Beverly has more upside do to him only playing one year in D1. Plus the other guy is injury prone coming off an ACL tear. So I would go with Beverly. He might not be as skilled but seems to be a high motor guy. However, the other guy will bring up our team GPA. So there is always that.
Pretty sure he played more than one year D1. I think maybe his freshman year he played d1

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Good question. They're very similar players. Brase is a better shooter but also has injury history, tearing his ACL last season. Brase would seem to be the better prospect based off of other schools interested compared to Beverly. I'd be happy with either one, or both!
Can Brase handle the academic work at ISU? :)

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

6-5 200 lb guard

11.8 ppg 3.9 rpg 0.7 apg

Sit 1 play 3

Didn't someone say Mount St Mary's blocked Elijah Long from ISU? Would imagine that'd be the same for Wilson.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Pretty sure he played more than one year D1. I think maybe his freshman year he played d1

I think you are right. I was meaning at this current school. However, he stepped his game up and was there leading scorer in his first year as a walk on. I think he comes and plays for us and does a great job. Not every kid is a star. Need the down and dirty type guys also. I think it also free's up Solomon Young to do some more things as well.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think you are right. I was meaning at this current school. However, he stepped his game up and was there leading scorer in his first year as a walk on. I think he comes and plays for us and does a great job. Not every kid is a star. Need the down and dirty type guys also. I think it also free's up Solomon Young to do some more things as well.
Yeah seems like a hard worker. Not a great rebounder but ok

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
People can keep sugar coating the backup to the backup to the backup plan. I'm not biting. Aside from Marrow, it seems we are only getting either a small contributor or a bench warmer at this point. Overall, I am happy with the class, but I would rather not fill the roster with Carters and Holdens if we can help it. Miles Wilson might be pretty decent with a year on scouts team but if we land Marrow, we would be looking at 3 sit out transfers. That puts a ton of pressure not only on a young team with a short bench, but will cost us multiple games. We would have to get a good immediately eligible transfer for the fourth scholarship

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
People can keep sugar coating the backup to the backup to the backup plan. I'm not biting. Aside from Marrow, it seems we are only getting either a small contributor or a bench warmer at this point. Overall, I am happy with the class, but I would rather not fill the roster with Carters and Holdens if we can help it. Miles Wilson might be pretty decent with a year on scouts team but if we land Marrow, we would be looking at 3 sit out transfers. That puts a ton of pressure not only on a young team with a short bench, but will cost us multiple games. We would have to get a good immediately eligible transfer for the fourth scholarship

I'll trust the staff will only offer a grad transfer if they think they have a defined role and contribute minutes. Just because Holden didn't work out doesn't mean the staff should ignore the market past the top 10 guys. After all Holden had many other high major offers and at the time we praised the signing. Sometimes the fit may look good and not work out or sometimes it works out the opposite way. Not everyone was on Kane when he was linked to Kane meanwhile everyone was on board with BDJ. Even older grad transfer players may or may now work out but that doesn't mean just don't use the resource.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good question. They're very similar players. Brase is a better shooter but also has injury history, tearing his ACL last season. Brase would seem to be the better prospect based off of other schools interested compared to Beverly. I'd be happy with either one, or both!

I want Beverly on the roster, so I'd say both. If Morrow is also an option, that would fill us up, making us awfully young in the back court for sure this year, but we'd have:

Jackson/Wigginton/Weiler-Babb/Long//McNeill/Lewis for spots 1-3 and Young/Lard/Beverly/Kasongo/Brase for spots 4-5 with Morrow and Shayok sitting out.

I'd take that.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'll trust the staff will only offer a grad transfer if they think they have a defined role and contribute minutes. Just because Holden didn't work out doesn't mean the staff should ignore the market past the top 10 guys. After all Holden had many other high major offers and at the time we praised the signing. Sometimes the fit may look good and not work out or sometimes it works out the opposite way. Not everyone was on Kane when he was linked to Kane meanwhile everyone was on board with BDJ. Even older grad transfer players may or may now work out but that doesn't mean just don't use the resource.
It's not about trusting the staff. To me it's about trying to spin getting a very questionable player after missing on all your other no brainer targets. I am mostly just bummed we missed out on a few guys I thought would have moved us up quite a bit in future conference rankings. If we end up with Marrow and Beverly (probably our best case scenario) and lets just say a questionable juco/sit out transfer, this team is going to struggle big time next season and probably miss the tournament. End of the world? No, but as a fan, just like cheering for them to win, you cheer for them to get the best talent and are critical on the other end.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I want Beverly on the roster, so I'd say both. If Morrow is also an option, that would fill us up, making us awfully young in the back court for sure this year, but we'd have:

Jackson/Wigginton/Weiler-Babb/Long//McNeill/Lewis for spots 1-3 and Young/Lard/Beverly/Kasongo/Brase for spots 4-5 with Morrow and Shayok sitting out.

I'd take that.
A lot of faith considering only the bolded names have any kind of certainty for next season. I bolded Wiggington only because I'm giving a 5star the benefit of the doubt. Less certain about Brase based on ACL sugery. You say young, I say they get their heads kicked in for the majority of the season till they can adjust not only to each other but the speed and talent of the game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

I'd take that.

Also, with the versatility of Babb and Beverly, we'd have a lot of options for going big or small.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It's not about trusting the staff. To me it's about trying to spin getting a very questionable player after missing on all your other no brainer targets. I am mostly just bummed we missed out on a few guys I thought would have moved us up quite a bit in future conference rankings. If we end up with Marrow and Beverly (probably our best case scenario) and lets just say a questionable juco/sit out transfer, this team is going to struggle big time next season and probably miss the tournament. End of the world? No, but as a fan, just like cheering for them to win, you cheer for them to get the best talent and are critical on the other end.

I understand your a passionate fan and want them to succeed. I do too, and agree ISU should only take players to make the team better, but we aren't scouts and what may seem as an underwhelming player may just prove to be a quality contributor for next year and beyond. In the end Prohm is on record as looking for a guard/wing and post to play next year to balance the scholarships and ease the young guys into the big 12. I don't think his plan has changed yet.

• Optimistic
Reactions: State43

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
A lot of faith considering only the bolded names have any kind of certainty for next season. I bolded Wiggington only because I'm giving a 5star the benefit of the doubt. Less certain about Brase based on ACL sugery. You say young, I say they get their heads kicked in for the majority of the season till they can adjust not only to each other but the speed and talent of the game.

I'd didn't say they'd be contenders, but if they found a way to mesh, I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you assert.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

I don't think many people are sugar coating it and most people said if they don't land Juiston and a Brown level grad transfer they aren't going to the tournament. If the best players they can get are sit out guys, I have no problem with that. I would rather land that than a grad transfer who doesn't provide anything for this year.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: ComCY and CY88CE11

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I also think it is too early to say what they will be next year. There are so many unknowns. You don't know how Jackson, Long, Babb, Kasongo and Young will progress and you don't know how ready Lard, Wigginton, Lewis, and Mcneill are. Odds are that they are an NIT team but they could be worse than that or they could be better. They could also still add 1-2 pieces for next year that we don't know how good they will be. Beverly could be a good role player or he could be terrible.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I understand your a passionate fan and want them to succeed. I do too, and agree ISU should only take players to make the team better, but we aren't scouts and what may seem as an underwhelming player may just prove to be a quality contributor for next year and beyond. In the end Prohm is on record as looking for a guard/wing and post to play next year to balance the scholarships and ease the young guys into the big 12. I don't think his plan has changed yet.

We will offer a grad transfer regardless. Prohm HAS to get the schollys balanced.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron