***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Serious question. Do you think the staff has an automatic info line that gets them these transfer happenings and they watch them daily waiting to see who we could still possibly pursue, or they have already designated their targets and its about putting the all-in efforts on them?

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
6-10. 11.3 ppg 6.3 rpg. Shot 35% from 3.

6'10"? Check
Post moves? Check
Free Throws? Check
Decent Athlete? Check
Lefty? Check

Sounds like our guy, Plus he's already in the midwest so we wouldn't have to try and drag him away from either coast and the big time bball schools out there.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Serious question. Do you think the staff has an automatic info line that gets them these transfer happenings and they watch them daily waiting to see who we could still possibly pursue, or they have already designated their targets and its about putting the all-in efforts on them?

They get a heads up on most of the guys they have a shot at. A lot of these things are done deals before they announce they're leaving too

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
6'10"? Check
Post moves? Check
Free Throws? Check
Decent Athlete? Check
Lefty? Check

Sounds like our guy, Plus he's already in the midwest so we wouldn't have to try and drag him away from either coast and the big time bball schools out there.

Someone let Prohm know. He has to get on this, baby or not. Kinda kidding, but I assume our best bet it to get a grad transfer like this from a smaller school that may want to 'up' his game/competition/exposure/etc. Not that it worked with Holden, but I feel it did with Bowie, especially if he could have played his more natural position or the light would have came on sooner.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
They get a heads up on most of the guys they have a shot at. A lot of these things are done deals before they announce they're leaving too

Curious...how is it determined that its a "guy they have a shot at"? Also, the 'done deal' thing is kinda frustrating. I mean, don't some of them announce first because they want to be recruited again and have choices?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Curious...how is it determined that its a "guy they have a shot at"? Also, the 'done deal' thing is kinda frustrating. I mean, don't some of them announce first because they want to be recruited again and have choices?

The whole thing is real shady. A lot of these guys have people put out feelers to see who's interested before they decide if they want to transfer or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
There's a lot of back channels coaches can use. The players AAU or HS coach are a common means of communication before anything is official or NCAA legal.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Previous connections

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
There's a lot of back channels coaches can use. The players AAU or HS coach are a common means of communication before anything is official or NCAA legal.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. I should have known that, Matt A. was right on it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Last year when we were preparing to play UVA, I studied them a little bit and he jumped out big time. I would have thought this was a breakout year for him, the guy is very skilled. He'll redshirt right? That year could be huge for him. He's from Ontario, I wonder if he has any times to our other Canadian players.

I don't.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Once again, we already have an elite level athlete that isn't exactly great at basketball. Do we really need another? They are different positions though.
We already have an elite athlete that isn't exactly great at basketball? Of course he's not great at basketball. Lanning wrestled in HS.

• Funny
Reactions: mdk2isu

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
6'10"? Check
Post moves? Check
Free Throws? Check
Decent Athlete? Check
Lefty? Check

Not just the Midwest, he's in Wisconsin. That's like our home state for recruiting purposes.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
7-2 and doesn't seem to be very athletic. Fran has a leg up on us with this one.

Please don't take it personally, but some of these type jokes don't cause me to even chuckle anymore. All I heard was how Bohannon and Pemsl weren't athletic enough. Bull. They are going to challenge for all-big 10 status some year and have good careers. Dislike the Hawks (mostly their put-down fans and how they treat us) as much as the next guy, but I think Fran has proven he can recruit well enough and coach them.