MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Looks like the strike will start this week if i heard the radio right

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Nobody is talking about the Clint Frazier deal. I think he is an All-Star caliber player if he can stay healthy. If he can’t and is a bust, he costs virtually nothing.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cubs just signed Hermosillo back to an MLB contract, which is great because I love Hermosillo’s potential, but I question it because our MLB outfielders consist now of Heyward, Happ, Ortega, Frazier, and Hermosillo.

With Hoerner having OF ability, makes me wonder if we are planning on either moving Happ to 3B or trading someone. Otherwise, we don’t have a very talented outfield.

Doug Piranha

Oct 13, 2021
Cubs just signed Hermosillo back to an MLB contract, which is great because I love Hermosillo’s potential, but I question it because our MLB outfielders consist now of Heyward, Happ, Ortega, Frazier, and Hermosillo.

With Hoerner having OF ability, makes me wonder if we are planning on either moving Happ to 3B or trading someone. Otherwise, we don’t have a very talented outfield.
A full year of a healthy Hermosillo is very intriguing. I think Happ gets dealt along with Wilson (If they are unable to lock him up this winter).
I still am under the misguided opinion that we will sign one of either Correa or Castellanos this offseason, but I'm an eternal cubs optimist (And I've been wrong many times before). I think Ricketts understands he has to make a splash to reengage the engaged fanbase.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nobody is talking about the Clint Frazier deal. I think he is an All-Star caliber player if he can stay healthy. If he can’t and is a bust, he costs virtually nothing.

All-Star caliber? Nothing in his 5 MLB seasons screams that to me: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/frazicl01.shtml

228 games and 807 career plate appearances and he has just 29 HR and 97 RBI while hitting .239. Last year he has a -1.4 WAR. He's 27 and had plenty of hype as a Yankees prospect but he's had far more career strikeouts 235 than hits 169. Maybe a change of scenery allows him to relax and realize his potential but I'm not expecting much out of him and it's only a cheap 1 year deal so doesn't sound like there was much of a market for him.

I see the Cubs also signed catcher Yan Gomes to a 2 year deal at $6 mil a year with a club option for a 3rd year. Gomes is a solid veteran backup catcher with a decent bat. I like the Stroman signing but rotation could use another middle to top end type of pitcher as he and Hendricks really aren't #1 type of guys so if you aren't going after an ace the middle to back end of the rotation needs another guy that isn't just an OK option as a #4 or 5 like most of the guys they have left already are.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
All-Star caliber? Nothing in his 5 MLB seasons screams that to me: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/frazicl01.shtml

228 games and 807 career plate appearances and he has just 29 HR and 97 RBI while hitting .239. Last year he has a -1.4 WAR. He's 27 and had plenty of hype as a Yankees prospect but he's had far more career strikeouts 235 than hits 169. Maybe a change of scenery allows him to relax and realize his potential but I'm not expecting much out of him and it's only a cheap 1 year deal so doesn't sound like there was much of a market for him.

I see the Cubs also signed catcher Yan Gomes to a 2 year deal at $6 mil a year with a club option for a 3rd year. Gomes is a solid veteran backup catcher with a decent bat. I like the Stroman signing but rotation could use another middle to top end type of pitcher as he and Hendricks really aren't #1 type of guys so if you aren't going after an ace the middle to back end of the rotation needs another guy that isn't just an OK option as a #4 or 5 like most of the guys they have left already are.

He battled serious long term effects from concussions and probably needed to be cleared before returning to action. The guy hits a lot of doubles and the LC gap at Yankee Stadium is one of the longest in baseball. Wrigley’s LC gap is only 368 which is why Castellanos saw a power surge with the Cubs and Reds. It would not shock me if Frazier hit 25 HR and batted in the 5/6 hole all year.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It would not surprise me in the least if they signed Correa after the lockout.

Stroman was publicly recruiting him last night and it's not like the Cubs wouldn't have shared some of their plans with him while they were negotiating.

Only going 3 years on Stroman is a GREAT deal.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It would not surprise me in the least if they signed Correa after the lockout.

Stroman was publicly recruiting him last night and it's not like the Cubs wouldn't have shared some of their plans with him while they were negotiating.

Only going 3 years on Stroman is a GREAT deal.

I'd have to eat quite a bit of crow but I'd do it happily of they signed him