MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Another example of why the Cubs should be in the market for another starter as you can't count on him and Mills to make it through a whole season without injury given their track record.

Unimpressed by the moves so far outside of the Stroman signing. This just smells like last few offseason where they Cubs were only interested in cheap short term deals and not actually making any moves of significance to compete. Hope I am wrong but so far there hasn't been much smoke to make me think a big signing or trade is coming to help this team compete this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker and ScottyP

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Another example of why the Cubs should be in the market for another starter as you can't count on him and Mills to make it through a whole season without injury given their track record.

Unimpressed by the moves so far outside of the Stroman signing. This just smells like last few offseason where they Cubs were only interested in cheap short term deals and not actually making any moves of significance to compete. Hope I am wrong but so far there hasn't been much smoke to make me think a big signing or trade is coming to help this team compete this year.
Adbert is also not good post grip aid crackdown

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Adbert is also not good post grip aid crackdown

I'm OK with him as a 4th or 5th starter for now as he has had some stretches of success when he's been able to stay healthy but that has been his problem throughout his career in the minors too that he just can't stay healthy to count on him. Mills can be the same way too which is why they need to bring in an innings eating veteran that can fill the 4th spot in the rotation and let Mills/Alzolay basically battle it out as the 5th starter and long reliever. Cubs have had this problem more than once lately where they only have 2 or 3 guys you can count on in the rotation then the 4 and 5 spots are basically a revolving door of injury prone guys, cheap washed up guys, or whoever they can plug and play from the minors for awhile. Its fine if you do that with the 5th spot on a team that isn't competing for a division and hope you get lucky with someone but to do that with 2 spots in the rotation is going to wear the bullpen out as the season goes on.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
My boys got Fukodome's signature on their caps spring training one year. It was a celebration in my house that summer anytime he did something.

Saw a game in Wrigley during the air show. A jet flew low and fast over the field.

Fukodome appeared to about **** himself

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My boys got Fukodome's signature on their caps spring training one year. It was a celebration in my house that summer anytime he did something.
His first game at wrigley he had me seeing japanese barry bonds.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I would take Suzuki but I view our glaring hole at third and pitching more valuable than adding a Japanese star to our already 7 average or less outfielders

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Rizzo to stay with the Yankees

1B Anthony Rizzo agrees to two-year, $32 million contract with New York Yankees, source says (espn.com)

I'm OK with that, Cubs can use $16 mil better elsewhere hopefully.
The Cubs supposedly offered Rizzo a 5 year $70 mil contract last spring that he turned down and looking back now he probably should have taken that since I don't see him getting $14 mil a year 5 years from now with his back problems and inevitable decline he will have as he gets into his mid 30's.

• Agree
Reactions: TClone99

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Rizzo to stay with the Yankees

1B Anthony Rizzo agrees to two-year, $32 million contract with New York Yankees, source says (espn.com)

I'm OK with that, Cubs can use $16 mil better elsewhere hopefully.
The Cubs supposedly offered Rizzo a 5 year $70 mil contract last spring that he turned down and looking back now he probably should have taken that since I don't see him getting $14 mil a year 5 years from now with his back problems and inevitable decline he will have as he gets into his mid 30's.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

There is some truth to this. These are the rumored deals they were offered and what they took this offseason

Rizzo: 5yrs/$70 mil took 2 years $32 mil with an option after year 1
Baez: reports vary but he apparently was offered a deal between $160-180 mil before the 2020 season but the length of that offer is unknown. He took a 6 year $140 mil deal with the Tigers
Bryant: lot of varying reports here too, varying offers up to 8 years at $200-250 mil or more. The guess I have seen is he is going to get offers in the $150-200 mil range for a 6 or 7 year deal.

Cubs basically gave Suzuki the same deal they offered Rizzo a year ago and he's 5 years younger. Granted we still have to see what Suzuki can do in MLB as he's no sure thing but the upside is greater than than with Rizzo at this point in his career. All 3 likely left more longer term money on the table by turning down the Cubs offers than they will get this offseason. Bryant maybe comes the closest to what he supposedly got offered at one point with the Cubs but its a far cry from the hopes he and Boras had not long ago that he would command more than Bryce Harper's deal they thought he would eventually top. I hope all 3 can have rebound years and finally show some consistency they never could achieve with the Cubs. I'm fine with them moving on as they weren't winning together with the Cubs so it was time to change direction and build a lineup that isn't so reliant on a bunch of inconsistent home run hitters.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Bryant 7 years/$182 mil has to be a disappointment for him and Boras after waiting all this time for his free agency to cash in a huge deal. Plus the Rockies are a mess which is why Arenado and Story wanted out so bad. It may be fun for a year or 2 hitting dingers in that elevation but eventually the losing wears on any stars they have had. This contract reeks of "had to take the best offer" because the Rockies are going no where with the Dodgers, Giants, and Padres in the same division who are all in win now modes and spending money. Little surprised he did not seek out a 1 or 2 year prove it deal in hopes to land a bigger deal next but given his age of 30, his inconsistency, and even a little bit of injury prone at times too guessing he opted to take the longer term deal and not risk another bad or injury marred season and have even less value next time around.

As for the other Cubs signings so far looks like they added some bullpen arms to the mix but other than adding Stroman, Miley, Suzuki, Simmons, Gomes, and Frazier they still need to get another arm for the rotation and another bat or 2 for the lineup if they want to have any chance of competing. My guess at opening day lineup right now as it currently stands:

C: Contreras
1B: Schwindel
2B: Madrigal
SS: Simmons
3B: Wisdom
OF: Suzuki, Happ, Ortega? with Heyward and others in the mix as platoon guys
DH: Frazier

I'm leery about Wisdom at 3B as I don't think he can sustain what he did for a stretch last year over a full season but I dunno who is out there that could be an upgrade? Simmons bat is not great either but his glove will be needed. OF while better now with Suzuki I think you can still go out and get a big bat and move on from someone currently on the roster. I've never been much of a fan of Happ, he gets hot once in awhile when the Cubs suck but when they've been in the thick of things he has not been good. With the DH now you can really just about target any big bat on the market even if you have someone slated to start at their position and just use that spot now to have both in the lineup.

Help Support Us

Become a patron