MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Seems like he is the left handed version of Wisdom. High exit velocity and high strikeout rate and nothing special with the glove. Just another 1 year reclamation project for the Cubs hoping 1 or 2 of these guys pan out and have a big season and if not they aren't committing long term money that they have options to cut their loss if needed.

On another post I still think there is a good chance Wesneski is in the rotation to start the season as I doubt Hendricks will be ready to go. Tallon Stroman Steele and Smyly surely will be the top 4 and a mix of guys will battle it out for that last spot.
I like Assad to start the year. He's older and can adjust better to getting skipped a few times over the first month with the weird schedule.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I like Assad to start the year. He's older and can adjust better to getting skipped a few times over the first month with the weird schedule.
If I had to guess if it's not Wesneski it probably will be Sampson. Assad is an interesting option too hut Sampsongot a lot more starts and was pretty consistent. Probably comes down to who looks best in spring training. I just love what I saw out of Wesneski late in the year and his slider is just filthy. If he does start the season in Iowa don't see how he is down there long if he pitches as well as he did after they acquired him.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just my gut feeling with the moves that have been made, the front office is going to be really slow, intentional, and deliberate about developing our prospects.

I think Wesneski, Mervis, and Morel could all handle their own right now at the Major League level, but our signings this year indicate we want to make sure they’re perfect before we call them up.

I don’t think the organization will want to have Wesneski start the year on the roster if they think there is a chance that he won’t start when Hendricks is ready

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Similar sentiments as many posters. 2023 is a year to just have guys who can compete. Vegas has us at 77.5 wins and I think the current roster is much better than 77.5 wins. I’d be pretty disappointed with anything below .500 but then it hit me, I wonder if the thought in Vegas is the Cubs will be trading everyone with expiring contracts at the deadline for 2024 ready guys.

Belly, Happ, Hendricks, Stroman (maybe)Hosmer, Ríos all qualify as those types of players.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I know it's a pipe dream but all these one year contracts and Hayward coming off the books puts us in position to make a serious run at Ohtani next year.
Hope so. Only other team I can think of that has set themselves up this offseason for Ohtani is the Dodgers. Granted, the Padres and Mets may end up doing whatever the **** they want.

Spotrac says we have $128 million tied to next year with the CBT set at $237 million.

Roughly $100 million and you probably most need to address an Ace, 3B, and an OF with Belly and Happ leaving.

I'd probably go with Ohtani, Chapman, and beg Happ to come back.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hope so. Only other team I can think of that has set themselves up this offseason for Ohtani is the Dodgers. Granted, the Padres and Mets may end up doing whatever the **** they want.

Spotrac says we have $128 million tied to next year with the CBT set at $237 million.

Roughly $100 million and you probably most need to address an Ace, 3B, and an OF with Belly and Happ leaving.
Should try to bring Strohman back.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Should try to bring Strohman back.
I'd love him another year. He has a $21 million player option for next year so it's possible he doesn't decline the player option.

Hendricks has a $16 million club option. My guess is the Stroman decision will play a factor in what the Cubs do. Obviously if he is lights out this year or struggles, it makes the decision easy. But if we view him as a $16 million pitcher and Stroman stays around, I could see us cutting bait to spend that $16 elsewhere.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think both of the former Yankees will be staples in the rotation which will phase Hendricks out of the rotation.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think Rios could be a fun addition assuming his hamstring and labrum issues are in the past. Between him, wisdom, and madrigal hopefully someone figures out our 3rd base issues.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Will be interesting to see how much Madrigal plays at 3rd this year:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Will be interesting to see how much Madrigal plays at 3rd this year:

He doesn't look natural making that throw for some reason. Feels like he's having to put everything he has behind the throw just to get it to 1B where most guys that play 3B their throws look somewhat effortless. 3B is also a position you expect to get some power production from too and well he is anything but a power hitter...

Not a good sign that Seiya is already having an oblique issue: Cubs Evaluating Imaging on Seiya Suzuki's Oblique, Justin Steele Should Make Next Start - Cubs Insider That's one of those injuries that seems to linger for awhile so maybe they shut him down until he gets it right? Steele already with arm fatigue, good think they have some depth for SP options

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah I have a bad feeling he either is going to start the season on the injured list or this may be a thing that lingers and lands him there at some point anyways. Opens the door up for the possibility of Davis getting a shot at an opening day roster spot if he has a strong spring training. PCA and Alcantara haven't moved up far enough in the minors yet to take that chance at skipping that many levels. I think Canario would have been an option had he not got hurt last year as now he will be hoping to get healthy enough to get some work in at Iowa at some point and maybe be a late season call up if he keeps hitting like he was last year.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Guessing it will be about a month before we see Suzuki again:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Guessing it will be about a month before we see Suzuki again:

Heard this story way too many times from the Cubs over the years. I'm betting it is closer to May before we see him. Let's say optimistically he is out 4-6 weeks to heal it that already puts him on the IL to start the season and probably means he won't start ramping things back up till early to mid April then extended spring training and rehab assignment after that which means if he is back before May it would be a surprise to me.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cubs pitching has done pretty well so far in spring training and I think once the dust settles and they get the rotation and bullpen roles figured out it probably will be the strength of the roster. How the position roles shake out and what happens when these guys have to face regular season pitching and not as Lou Brown once said in Major League 2 "off a guy who'll be bagging groceries in a couple of weeks."

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Sampson has probably pitched himself out of the rotation and will be headed to Iowa to start the season. Wesneski has just looked too good and Sampson has not so far in spring training. Sampson Assad and Killian getting work in Iowa going to give some good depth options when the envitable injury happens and hopefully Hendricks can get healthy and show enough to eventually get back into the mix too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RoseClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron