MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, my kids are getting old enough where they might enjoy a trip to Wrigley soon and I hate to think what that is going to cost when we do take them. Not concerned about hotel/parking because that's just part of vacation and we'll do other things while in Chicago but between the ticket prices and concessions for a few hours of entertainment it is getting ridiculously expensive. Definitely going to wait till the Cubs get good again before we plan a trip because I'm not paying good money to see the crap they have put out there recently.

My wife and I probably saw one of the worst games I have seen at Wrigley when Rich Mills couldn't even record an out in the first inning against the Cardinals in a game in 2010. Got yanked after just 6 batters giving up 6 hits and 5 runs on just 16 pitches. Down 5-0 before the Cubs even got to bat and they wound up losing 7-1. The roster that year wasn't terrible but they finished 75-87 and I just remember sitting there after the top of the 1st was over feeling deflated and knowing the next 3 hours could be a rough one after how brutal that inning was.

I'm the only one here that would enjoy it, although I tried to price out a season ticket suite when I pretended to spend Powerball money.

My last time was right before the young guys that won it started to show up, and at the end of Soriano's good Cub years. Great trip, but we were not good.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm the only one here that would enjoy it, although I tried to price out a season ticket suite when I pretended to spend Powerball money.

My last time was right before the young guys that won it started to show up, and at the end of Soriano's good Cub years. Great trip, but we were not good.

lol I got to see them get no hit the last time I was in Wrigley (Cole Hamels in 2015)

Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It wasn't just Baty. They also had Escobar, a proven, $10M per year player, at 3B. I know they aren't acting rationally, but surely Baty has more value to them as a trade chip than as a rarely used backup. (Correa and Alonso are both going to start every game they are physically able to start, so Baty would get minimal ABs at the MLB level.)
It's all about losing PCA.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's all about losing PCA.
If that is the case then they are just butthurt they made a bad deal and are limiting their trade options. Every team has made their fair share of bad trades including the Cubs. The Cubs royally missed on Quintana and sent probably their best prospect at the time in Jimenez and what turned out to be a pretty good pitcher in Cease. They still continue to make trades despite being in the same town most notable the Kimbrel trade in 2021. Cubs also blundered in 1998 when they traded for reliever Matt Karchner and gave up what turned out to be a pretty solid pitching prospect in Jon Garland. When a team in win now mode sometimes you are going to give up a guy you later regret. The Cubs gave up a lot to get Chapman from the Yankees and I still would do that trade again today knowing it was probably the one that put that team over the top to win the WS. Mets had aspirations that Javy would be the missing piece that might get them to the WS and gave up a then injured prospect.

Cubs have lost a lot of trades like this over their history but have not seen that deter them from doing business again with teams. Some guys they traded away more recently that turned into pretty good players are Josh Donaldson, DJ LeMahieu and if you want to really go back to one that hurt how about Lou Brock to the Cardinals in 1964 that may be one of the worst trades in MLB history.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If that is the case then they are just butthurt they made a bad deal and are limiting their trade options. Every team has made their fair share of bad trades including the Cubs. The Cubs royally missed on Quintana and sent probably their best prospect at the time in Jimenez and what turned out to be a pretty good pitcher in Cease. They still continue to make trades despite being in the same town most notable the Kimbrel trade in 2021. Cubs also blundered in 1998 when they traded for reliever Matt Karchner and gave up what turned out to be a pretty solid pitching prospect in Jon Garland. When a team in win now mode sometimes you are going to give up a guy you later regret. The Cubs gave up a lot to get Chapman from the Yankees and I still would do that trade again today knowing it was probably the one that put that team over the top to win the WS. Mets had aspirations that Javy would be the missing piece that might get them to the WS and gave up a then injured prospect.

Cubs have lost a lot of trades like this over their history but have not seen that deter them from doing business again with teams. Some guys they traded away more recently that turned into pretty good players are Josh Donaldson, DJ LeMahieu and if you want to really go back to one that hurt how about Lou Brock to the Cardinals in 1964 that may be one of the worst trades in MLB history.
Not telling me anything most of us don't already know. It was widely known the Mutts were butthurt and gun shy to deal with the Cubs this previous trade deadline because of the PCA deals.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’ve seen rumors of Mancini AND Conforto and I didn’t think there would be any shot in hell the Cubs would be able to make that happen

HOWEVER

Swansons deal includes a $7 million signing bonus and $13 million 2023 salary, which tells me the Cubs are “saving” $5 million this year, which also tells me the Cubs are going to still be looking at a Mancini and Conforto and not have a luxury tax to worry about

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cubs signing Trey Mancini. With the Hosmer signing would seem that Mervis likely starts the year at AAA Iowa and comes up if one gets hurt or is not hitting. Probably done with any notable signings unless they are looking at veteran bullpen options.

Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Cubs signing Trey Mancini. With the Hosmer signing would seem that Mervis likely starts the year at AAA Iowa and comes up if one gets hurt or is not hitting. Probably done with any notable signings unless they are looking at veteran bullpen options.
I think Mervis time frame is going to be based on Mervis. Hosmer can go without any issue. Mancini can get time in the OF and DH.

Really like what they've done. Improved without losing any prospects.

Between Heyward going off the books and the 17 mil for a one year stop gap in center we'll have 40 mil open next year also. Maybe it buys us an ace?

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Mervis time frame is going to be based on Mervis. Hosmer can go without any issue. Mancini can get time in the OF and DH.

Really like what they've done. Improved without losing any prospects.

Between Heyward going off the books and the 17 mil for a one year stop gap in center we'll have 40 mil open next year also. Maybe it buys us an ace?
If they wanted to add a bullpen arm Chafin is still out there. Lot of arms for rotation right now but no ace in the group so either they trade for one if they are in the hunt or wait till next offseason.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Far from sounding the alarm news but I like the Edwin Rios signing to clean up 3rd base. Let Wisdom mash against lefties and Rios puts up similar numbers against righties. Allows for Morel to focus on being the 4th outfielder.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Far from sounding the alarm news but I like the Edwin Rios signing to clean up 3rd base. Let Wisdom mash against lefties and Rios puts up similar numbers against righties. Allows for Morel to focus on being the 4th outfielder.
Allows Morel to get consistent at bats in Des Moines. He also needs the defensive work.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I know it's a pipe dream but all these one year contracts and Hayward coming off the books puts us in position to make a serious run at Ohtani next year.

Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Allows Morel to get consistent at bats in Des Moines. He also needs the defensive work.
I realize it isn’t as exciting for what’s going on in Chicago, but we may have the most talented team ever assembled in Des Moines this year.

The starting pitching staff is looking to be Wesneski, Wicks, Brown, Herz, and Killian.

Then you're looking to have Amaya, Mervis, Bote, Strumpf, Davis, Hill, Canario when he's healed, and possibly PCA by the end of the season.

Really just lacking a high-end shortstop, but with Hernandez, Howard, Made, and Preciado maybe someone will be pulled up.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Seems like he is the left handed version of Wisdom. High exit velocity and high strikeout rate and nothing special with the glove. Just another 1 year reclamation project for the Cubs hoping 1 or 2 of these guys pan out and have a big season and if not they aren't committing long term money that they have options to cut their loss if needed.

On another post I still think there is a good chance Wesneski is in the rotation to start the season as I doubt Hendricks will be ready to go. Tallon Stroman Steele and Smyly surely will be the top 4 and a mix of guys will battle it out for that last spot.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I realize it isn’t as exciting for what’s going on in Chicago, but we may have the most talented team ever assembled in Des Moines this year.

The starting pitching staff is looking to be Wesneski, Wicks, Brown, Herz, and Killian.

Then you're looking to have Amaya, Mervis, Bote, Strumpf, Davis, Hill, Canario when he's healed, and possibly PCA by the end of the season.

Really just lacking a high-end shortstop, but with Hernandez, Howard, Made, and Preciado maybe someone will be pulled up.
I think they'll end up moving Howard up pretty quickly, assuming he's healthy. The bat is never even going to get to below average but the defense is already Major League ready. He's got value as a defense first, utility guy that can pinch run and what not.

Help Support Us

Become a patron