MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
So how quick will everyone be ******** about whatever contract he got? Almost like all the whining about spending etc. should wait until after the off-season is done.

That said still need more moves! Need another bat or two (Conforto? Turner?), a catcher and a starter

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So how quick will everyone be ******** about whatever contract he got? Almost like all the whining about spending etc. should wait until after the off-season is done.

That said still need more moves! Need another bat or two (Conforto? Turner?), a catcher and a starter
Yeah, I think there are lesser names that could be effective every day players. Trey Mancini might be a good 1st/dh option. I saw where Hosmer was DFA'd by the Red Sox. A bit of hoping to guess right and find a 25 HR guy for 1-2 years.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Get Turner. Take McCann's money from the Mets. Sign Smyly and another arm.

That gives you a team that competes for both the division a wild card.
At Turner's age it would have to be something like a 1 year with an option or something. He'd be an upgrade over Wisdom. All for making a deal with the Mets too if they Cubs can take on a decent prospect in the deal for eating McCanns contract. Heck throw in Carrasco too, read something where the Mets are so far into the luxury tax that just trading those 2 would save them something like 90 mil when you factor in the luxury tax. Cubs have so little committed in payroll after this season and next besides a few players so why not take on some money in a trade if it can help in the short term as well as possibly bring in a prospect or 2 too.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Swanson & Hoerner should be fun to watch in the middle of that defense. Especially with no more shift. Guys have to cover more ground.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Swanson & Hoerner should be fun to watch in the middle of that defense. Especially with no more shift. Guys have to cover more ground.
Without taking any sort of time to think about anyone else, I’d say that has to be one of the best defensive middle infield’s in the league

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My not unreasonable asks to finish the offseason

- Trade for Jensen (Blue Jays Catcher)
- Call Angels, see if they will give you Rendon and cover half his contract
- If Angels hang up on you, grab Turner or Longoria to fix 3B
- If neither happen, grab Mancini
- Grab Conforto as a 4th outfielder/DH until Davis is ready

Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Like it, but I'm ok with Morel as the 4th OF.

CyState85

May 8, 2019

My wish list is to:

-trade Wisdom to a small market team for a bullpen arm.

-Sign Brandon Drury to a 3 year deal to be the super-utility player. He has played every position except catcher in his career.

-Sign Smyly to a 3 year deal.

-if Hosmer makes it to FA, might as well see if he has any good baseball left on a team friendly deal.

-Bargain Bin Catcher

-take a flyer on Danny Duffy on a prove it deal.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My wish list is to:

-trade Wisdom to a small market team for a bullpen arm.

-Sign Brandon Drury to a 3 year deal to be the super-utility player. He has played every position except catcher in his career.

-Sign Smyly to a 3 year deal.

-if Hosmer makes it to FA, might as well see if he has any good baseball left on a team friendly deal.

-Bargain Bin Catcher

-take a flyer on Danny Duffy on a prove it deal.
The biggest question mark on the roster right now is definitely Wisdom. In 2022, he had a .191 BA, OBP of .285 against righties. He had a .250 BA with a .336 OBP against lefties. His career numbers are in line with that. Trade him, start him, platoon him?

My personal preference would be find an every day third basemen and have Wisdom platoon at first until Mervis proves he can be productive against lefty pitchers.

I'd be very content heading into the season with Bote, Morel, and Wisdom as your infield backups.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I could live with it. I just like Conforto because the one thing it feels like we lack is pop. You add him, you got 6 legit players at the top of your order
Agree, adding Swanson makes me feel comfortable with 6 positions future. 8 if Amaya ( catcher) and Canon (DH) didn't get hurt.

If Morel could find a way to reel in the 100+ mph arm he'd be great for us at 3rd putting us in the market for a 4th OF foreshore.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So what do the Cubs do with Madrigal? Not sure he can be a utility infielder. Does he fill in at 2nd on days Cubs sit Swanson and play Horner at short? If the Cubs have enough power in lineup, can Madrigal play some DH? Or is he traded to help fill another need?

I like Wisdom. Decent speed, solid defender at 3rd. If he hits 30ish HR's, I can live with his .225 BA & high swing/miss. The key is he is 8th/9th batter.

Depending on willingness to spend, IMO the biggest needs are slugging 1B, DH and starting pitcher. I like Conforto, but would prefer to give a young guy like Morel, Davis, Canario, Valazquez at-bats as 4th OF.

I'd like to see a SP added. Guys like Wacha or Bundy might be solid 3/4 guys who can eat innings.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The biggest question mark on the roster right now is definitely Wisdom. In 2022, he had a .191 BA, OBP of .285 against righties. He had a .250 BA with a .336 OBP against lefties. His career numbers are in line with that. Trade him, start him, platoon him?

My personal preference would be find an every day third basemen and have Wisdom platoon at first until Mervis proves he can be productive against lefty pitchers.

I'd be very content heading into the season with Bote, Morel, and Wisdom as your infield backups.
I think you hold on to him. He's cheap, has a bunch of pop and hits left handed pitching. He's also the guy you can use to protect Mervis from good LH pitching.

Plus he can play both corners and some outfield in a pinch.