MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Tell me you haven’t watched a game on marquee the last two seasons without telling me you haven’t watched a game on marquee the past two seasons
No, maybe if I could actually watch their games? Watched them for 35 years now I can't anymore due to this stupid Marquee bull****.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Correa got 13 years and Boegarts/Turner got 11…I’m fine not signing these guys to ridiculous contracts (even if they are front loaded). We just released a guy with 1 year left on his 8 year deal because he was unplayable.
Agree. A $350M contract for almost any player is crazy money, even if front-end loaded.

The market seems crazy this year and maybe that is an off-shoot of the Judge signing. But as GM, I would think 6-8 years would be max I would offer a player. And then fix an annual value based on ability.

For Correa at 28 an 8 year makes sense. And I don't feel he is worth more than $30M per. So any contract over $240M seems like a bad deal for a team.

Makes little sense to hobble an organization after a player is washed up.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
A little harsh, but I really don't get the love for Kasper. Never did.
Yep, I never loved Kasper's voice. A little too Kermit the Frog like for me.

That being said I thought I would like Boog with the Cubs more than I do. Wish he was a bit more enthusiastic/homer. When he does the Cubs he broadcasts too much like he is doing a national ESPN game for my taste. With that and I also think Jim DeShaies is a bit too dry so I think it makes for a boring Cubs broadcast at times.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I have news for you people. The market is always going to be crazy. You're not going to find an elite player in the damn bargain bin.
dont tell us this. we already knew that. some reason mgmt thinks they can get gems from the bargain bin

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Or they're not really looking. Don't rule out how little this owner group cares about winning right now.
Im sure they dont. its basically packed all year. season tickets are basically sold out every year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just gonna stay on the lookout for that young all-star infielder or corner outfielder who will take a 4 year contract. Surely it'll come. In the meantime, be sure to hit one of the 172 Cub's Stores on your way out of the stadium. Don't want to miss out on a Christopher Morel jersey.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
No, maybe if I could actually watch their games? Watched them for 35 years now I can't anymore due to this stupid Marquee bull****.
This doesn’t match up with the original post I quoted. Which one is it?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
People are getting way too hung up on the contract length. That's the 'team friendly' part of this. No one expects Correa to be a great player at 41. It's so that the AAV for luxury tax purposes is $27M instead of $40M. Rumors are the Twins wanted to go 15 years with him at the same value.

It's a just a way to defer money, more or less.

The Cubs, shockingly, don't seem to understand this. All these shortstops and player in general were looking at the guaranteed money and didn't give a **** how long the contract was for.

Every passing year makes not even bidding on Bryce Harper look ever worse than it was at the time.

Reactions: CycloneErik

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have news for you people. The market is always going to be crazy. You're not going to find an elite player in the damn bargain bin.
Agree for the generational or hot guys.

Seems to me the basket approach is best and get 2-3 above average players instead of overspending on one hot name. Which I would put Correa in that group. Judge & Bogaerts are generational guys in this year's FA class, every other guy will have a comparable in next year's class.

Maybe the Cubs could approach the Padres about Tatis. But the question is where his head is.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I feel like there's a middle ground between signing generational talent and being ok with trotting out frank schwindel and Patrick wisdom for a ton of games and a string of often injured AAAA pitchers who aren't young enough to be prospects.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
People are getting way too hung up on the contract length. That's the 'team friendly' part of this. No one expects Correa to be a great player at 41. It's so that the AAV for luxury tax purposes is $27M instead of $40M. Rumors are the Twins wanted to go 15 years with him at the same value.

It's a just a way to defer money, more or less.

The Cubs, shockingly, don't seem to understand this. All these shortstops and player in general were looking at the guaranteed money and didn't give a **** how long the contract was for.

Every passing year makes not even bidding on Bryce Harper look ever worse than it was at the time.
What if Harper is never the same player after his upcoming TJ surgery? I think people understand that the luxury tax implications.

But it's still a risk to potentially impact a future GM with a decent size contract in years 9-13. In my mind the Correa contract is the equivalent of a $50M+ per year deal because pretty good chance he'll be out of baseball or mediocre player in 6 years or less.

IMO it's overspending on a hot FA name that year. No different than drafting a QB at the top of round 1. For every Mahomes, Allen or Hebert, there are 6 Trubisky's or Wilson's.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
What if Harper is never the same player after his upcoming TJ surgery? I think people understand that the luxury tax implications.

But it's still a risk to potentially impact a future GM with a decent size contract in years 9-13. In my mind the Correa contract is the equivalent of a $50M+ per year deal because pretty good chance he'll be out of baseball or mediocre player in 6 years or less.

IMO it's overspending on a hot FA name that year. No different than drafting a QB at the top of round 1. For every Mahomes, Allen or Hebert, there are 6 Trubisky's or Wilson's.
Even if Harper is a DH, he's worth every penny. Looking at today's market, you couldn't touch a player at 80% of Harper's caliber for $25M AAV. That deal looks better every single day.

Time value of money. The $27M cap hit isn't going to be anything by the time we get to 2030. The first luxury tax threshold is going to be over $300M by then and if he makes you consistently competitive for 6-8 years, you don't mind paying the last 3-4 years at all.

Long story short, the Cubs are a Top 5 revenue team and they need to start acting like it and quit pretending they're the Guardians, Royals or Pirates.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Even if Harper is a DH, he's worth every penny. Looking at today's market, you couldn't touch a player at 80% of Harper's caliber for $25M AAV. That deal looks better every single day.

Time value of money. The $27M cap hit isn't going to be anything by the time we get to 2030. The first luxury tax threshold is going to be over $300M by then and if he makes you consistently competitive for 6-8 years, you don't mind paying the last 3-4 years at all.

Long story short, the Cubs are a Top 5 revenue team and they need to start acting like it and quit pretending they're the Guardians, Royals or Pirates.
Time will tell on Harper. Would you say the same if Harper is a 20Hr & .245 hitter over the rest of his career?

The Correa deal at $350M seems very rich. Would you pay that for a player who likely has
6-8 years of high level baseball left? That's $44-$58M per. Even considering TV of $.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Time will tell on Harper. Would you say the same if Harper is a 20Hr & .245 hitter over the rest of his career?

The Correa deal at $350M seems very rich. Would you pay that for a player who likely has
6-8 years of high level baseball left? That's $44-$58M per. Even considering TV of $.
Assuming the Phillies continue to not be shy about spending, yeah. He's going to be an everyday player on a consistent winner.

You're right on Correa but the market is the market and the Cubs don't get to clutch their pearls like they're the Pirates. They can absolutely afford to pay the salaries that other big market clubs are paying. They don't have to all Cohen or even Yankees/Dodgers but they can certainly go Phillies, Braves, Padres. As the old saying goes, the market is never wrong.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Assuming the Phillies continue to not be shy about spending, yeah. He's going to be an everyday player on a consistent winner.

You're right on Correa but the market is the market and the Cubs don't get to clutch their pearls like they're the Pirates. They can absolutely afford to pay the salaries that other big market clubs are paying. They don't have to all Cohen or even Yankees/Dodgers but they can certainly go Phillies, Braves, Padres. As the old saying goes, the market is never wrong.
The market isn't wrong, but there are really good players below the top 8-10 guys. Now maybe the Cubs have missed out on some of those guys going big game hunting. But now they still have $ to address needs on a shorter term financial commitment.

They could also pivot and see if the Padres are interested in trading guys like Tatis or Machado. Or there will be a fresh crop of FA next fall.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I get the “lower AAV” argument for signing guys to long term deals but look at the disaster that is the LA Angels. They have $75 million per year locked up for the next 5 seasons for just Rendon and Trout!!! This coming after the disaster of the Pujols, Upton, and Vernon Wells contracts they either signed guys/traded for. That franchise is an absolute mess and they have their payroll locked up to two injured guys that are past their prime but hey, they got them for cheaper per year!

If the market is 11-13 years for “superstars” then I’m fine with the Cubs looking for value or additional trade pieces this year/next.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks and ScottyP