MLB: ***Official 2023 St. Louis Cardinals Thread ***

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
The winter meetings in general were very boring. Biggest thing was Soto but everybody is waiting for Yamamoto and Ohtani to decide. Imagine the outrage if the Cardinals hadn’t signed Lynn, Gibson, and Gray already and came out of WM with nothing

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
That is definitely a big part of it. The entire bullpen was overworked last year. Starters couldn’t throw a quality start to save their lives. Right now I’d say you have 3 guys that are good to really good relievers. Helsley, Gallegos, and Romero. Libby and Thompson are gonna be swing men. Still would like us to get 2 more guys. Been linked to Phil Maton and some international guys. Thought we might go after Joe Kelly but he just resigned with LA
Agree with what you've said. But our 3 main guys are each a bit risky.

Helsley has issues when asked to throw multiple days in a row, Gallegos had a down year giving up HRs and perhaps the new rules continue to impact him as he was one of the slowest workers in baseball, and Romero had a good run for half a season.

So in agreement with your point I do think two more are needed. Maton and one of Hicks/Go would seem to do the trick based on the guy you quoted noting we have options in these guys. Then you could have Maton and Gallegos as your 7th inning options, Romero and Hicks/Go as 8th inning, and Helsley closing. And have plenty of options to rest Helsley and slot someone up a peg.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was a (more than a) bit frustrated with the Cards winding up picking 7th in the draft lottery, rather than a top 5 pick.

Then the latest MLB Pipeline top 100 came out, and shows it isn’t quite that bad—from a pitching standpoint, anyway.

They say that Chase Burns’ fastball doesn’t have enough movement, and he’s only rated 16th. The best bet for a college pitcher would probably be if Brody Brecht shows improved control…but not so much improvement that he goes #1, because then I’d be justifiably frustrated. :D

Of course, the list will change by July, but the way it stands now, I think I’d be happy with a high school kid like toolsy OF Konnor Griffin currently at #8. Or maybe a HS pitcher like LHP Cam Caminiti—assuming he also ramps up.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019

This was rumored all off season. Was with the rays and was a huge part of why Tampa Bay is successful in their market. Knows how to stock a farm system, especially pitchers. Was the chief baseball operator of the Red Sox the past 4 years but was fired. He was kind of the scapegoat because ownership restricted him. I’m happy about this.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I think Chaim Bloom is director of baseball operations in waiting

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
There’s the missing piece! It’s World Series or bust now!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why bring him back when we are already struggling to get enough at-bats for our young hitters? I get if he wants to sign with the Cardinals then retire, but anything more than that and its foolish.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I mean…. It’s of zero risk for the cardinals to bring him in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron