MLB: ***Official 2023 St. Louis Cardinals Thread ***

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Cards sign Lance Lynn for a return trip to St. Louis, 1 year deal for $10 million. Now if that is only the start its great, if Lynn is the center piece of the rotation next year, we are in trouble. Lance at best is a #2 starter, we need an ace.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Cards sign Lance Lynn for a return trip to St. Louis, 1 year deal for $10 million. Now if that is only the start its great, if Lynn is the center piece of the rotation next year, we are in trouble. Lance at best is a #2 starter, we need an ace.
I like it if he's a back end of the rotation, if he's your 1 or 2 then they're in trouble.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

There it is, that is the big signing.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There it is, that is the big signing.
If so, then like I said, we will be in trouble. Lynn is a nice piece to the starting rotation, but not anymore than that. For too long the Cards have relied on and hoped pitchers like Lynn would be their #1 starter and then they fill in after that, just like they did with Wano last year.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
You guys are so negative about the front office and we aren't even close to the start of a new season. Curious here: do you watch or listen to sports talk on TV or radio?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You guys are so negative about the front office and we aren't even close to the start of a new season. Curious here: do you watch or listen to sports talk on TV or radio?
Very little. Less than an hour a month if I had to take a guess. I'm more of a reader when it comes how I consume info about the rosters.

Reactions: matclone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Lance is an inning eater that saves the bullpen. He has bounced around and hung around while basically being a fastball pitcher. Not a bad signing for a #4 or #5 in the rotation with possibly a #3 if he regains his form of several years ago. I assumed he is guaranteed $10M for one year so congrats to him. They really need to go after some legit #1 and #2 starters with the age of our starting 1st and 3rd stalwarts.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I cannot speak for everyone on the board, but I am negative to the front office because for years the Red Birds have been at the top of the attendance rankings, but this past year we were 15/16 in spending on the team. It's not like they do not have the money to spend. They are printing money at Ball Park Village, the have built part of the second ballpark village and they own the stadium. How about instead of enriching the owners we actually spend money on the team, they will get their money back if and when they sell the team, which has increased in value over 10 times what they paid for it.

Last edited:

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Too many Cardinals fans on Twitter today don’t get that he’s a solid 4th or 5th guy. He still strikes a ton of guys out and still eats innings for breakfast, lunch, second lunch, and dinner. It doesn’t help the optics that he’s the first move of the offseason. If he was a 4th pitcher added people wouldn’t be b!tchng.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Too many Cardinals fans on Twitter today don’t get that he’s a solid 4th or 5th guy. He still strikes a ton of guys out and still eats innings for breakfast, lunch, second lunch, and dinner. It doesn’t help the optics that he’s the first move of the offseason. If he was a 4th pitcher added people wouldn’t be b!tchng.

The problem is, is we more than likely won’t sign more than 1 more pitcher. Lynn has a good chance of being our #2 or 3 starter going into the season.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I see that Mike Shildt is now the Padres' manager. Best wishes to him. I thought he did a great job with the Cardinals.

Also, Daniel DeScalso is now the Cardinals bench coach. McEwing has been promoted (if that's the word) to a special assistant in the front office.

Also, another starter, Kyle Gibson, has been signed.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I see that Mike Shildt is now the Padres' manager. Best wishes to him. I thought he did a great job with the Cardinals.

Also, Daniel DeScalso is now the Cardinals bench coach. McEwing has been promoted (if that's the word) to a special assistant in the front office.

Also, another starter, Kyle Gibson, has been signed.

Agree about Shildt, we should have done him better than what we did. Gibson is more dumpster diving, where is the ace we are all waiting for? Hell even a strong number 2 starter would be nice.

Another off-season of bold talk and little action from the front office I fear.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Agree about Shildt, we should have done him better than what we did. Gibson is more dumpster diving, where is the ace we are all waiting for? Hell even a strong number 2 starter would be nice.

Another off-season of bold talk and little action from the front office I fear.
Free agency is just starting. None of the big name pitchers have gone anywhere except Nola staying in Philly. But so far Cards are dumpster diving again

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Finally got one that wasn't in the dumpster.

Had a sub 3 era and a WHIP of 1.15 last year. That's not Cy Young numbers but he's automatically the best pitcher in the starting rotation as it looks right now. They're still meeting with Yoshinobu Yamamoto and he would be the number 1 if they sign him in my opinion.

Last edited:

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Sounds like the cardinals are also working on Shota Imanaga
To this point, Imanaga has been linked to several MLB clubs — most recently the Cubs but also the Dodgers and Red Sox. It stands to reason that virtually every mid- or large-market club with a need for pitching will have some degree of interest. Imanaga has been one of the steadiest performers in Japan for the better part of a half decade and has thus been heavily scouted by MLB teams for quite some time now. He’ll likely be on the radar for other bigger-spending teams like the Mets, Yankees, Cardinals, Giants, Angels and Blue Jays (to name a few) over the next six-plus weeks.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Sounds like the cardinals are also working on Shota Imanaga
He would be icing on the cake to a great off season, then take the depth of the outfielders and package them together to get one great young outfielder or stud bullpen pitchers.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
So, we have five starters at this point: Gray (age 34), Lynn (36), K. Gibson (36), Mikolas (35) and Matz (32). Despite their ages, the three new ones have mostly injury-free careers. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron