MLB: ***Official 2023 St. Louis Cardinals Thread ***

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Except they have a good chance of making the playoffs and we don't.

I was actually hoping they would trade DeJong. But all we got was another minor league pitcher.
Well considering DeJong had absolutely no trade value at the beginning of the year. The fact that we got anything for him is amazing

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Except they have a good chance of making the playoffs and we don't.

I was actually hoping they would trade DeJong. But all we got was another minor league pitcher.

A 24 year old AA pitcher. So probably won’t be a major piece in the future.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Our only hope is the checkbook opens up in the off season. Given the potential monetary risk of back to back losing seasons if they don't, then I'd lean hard on it happening. And if they want MO to stay (I don't) then they'll have to spend, spend, spend to protect him. Some think folks will support the club even if they turn into the Cubs. Because we are the Cards. I don't think that's the case. Not at $56 for two regular beers and three waters that I paid the other night.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Our only hope is the checkbook opens up in the off season. Given the potential monetary risk of back to back losing seasons if they don't, then I'd lean hard on it happening. And if they want MO to stay (I don't) then they'll have to spend, spend, spend to protect him. Some think folks will support the club even if they turn into the Cubs. Because we are the Cards. I don't think that's the case. Not at $56 for two regular beers and three waters that I paid the other night.
I think they will have to open the checkbook just to fill the rotation spots.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, not crazy on the return for DeJong, but didn't expect anything crazy either. Without knowing how much money we sent, I wonder if it was just to pay him now rather than paying $2M next year to buy him out??

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
DeJong has power and defense but can go cold at the plate for long periods. Considering he was sent down to AAA last year, he made the best of the situation and with Edman on the shelf he has had a good month at the right time. He may benefit in another league against new teams and pitchers. Wasn't expecting to get much for him.

I expect Flaherty and an outfielder package to produce a serviceable starter in the next few hours. Flaherty is one of the few decent starters available to a contender.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
DeJong has power and defense but can go cold at the plate for long periods. Considering he was sent down to AAA last year, he made the best of the situation and with Edman on the shelf he has had a good month at the right time. He may benefit in another league against new teams and pitchers. Wasn't expecting to get much for him.

I expect Flaherty and an outfielder package to produce a serviceable starter in the next few hours. Flaherty is one of the few decent starters available to a contender.

They’ve got about 25 minutes to get a deal done.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Considering many people probably would have been okay just eating DeJong's contract and cutting him at points in the past 4 seasons, I don't really think any return (including this one) should be seen as a disappointment.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I’m a little surprised they didn’t get more for Flaherty. Thought for sure he’d bring some top 5 prospects. However, the lack of return might be a sign of how he’s viewed by others. While he’s had flashes of being a No 1 starter (like 2019), he’s otherwise performed as a No 2-4.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Good points.

I’ll simply observe:

A. The Cards did not get any of the Rangers’ top four or Blue Jays’ top three pitching prospects…all of whom are very, very good.

B. I have to point out that those “compensation picks” are what gave the Cardinals the signing pool and flexibility for what looks like a legendary ‘20 draft class—topped by Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn and Tink Hence.

The last couple of years, they’ve had both limited signing pools and picks…and the drafts have been mediocre (at best) because of it.

And I’m not sure anyone traded for thus far—or who will yet be—comes close to the ceiling of (at the least) Walker and Winn.

C. Once they figured out they need more swing-and-miss pitchers because of the ban on shifts, the last couple of pitching drafts (McGreevy and Hjerpe, etc) look next to worthless.
Masyn Winn is your starting shortstop in 2024, that kid might end up being better than Jordan Walker. I would be really surprised if he didn't get a callup in a couple weeks to let him see some big league pitching.

Tink Hence isn't making the show before 2025 but will be a stud when he gets there I think.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I honestly feel bad for Waino. Nobody likes to go out like this. The season is lost so it’s fine. But they keep trotting him out there to basically throw BP for a few innings in the hopes they can win a 10-8 game to get him to 200.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Has anybody figured out what O’Neill was doing when he overran 2nd base last night? That lost run would have been very valuable!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It will be an interesting Hot Stove season for the Cards if they plan to improve for 2024. Bring Winn up on Sept. 1st and throw him out there as much as possible for the last month. See if the guy is going to hit at all and get him used to being the everyday SS next season.

Start looking to package O'Neill, Burleson and a few others not named Walker, Noot and Carlson to either get pitching or another quality outfielder that has some power. No more dumpster diving on starting pitching, go sign 2 if not 3 starters that can give you quality starts with the ability to strike people out, if that is a #1 and a #3 starter or three #2's whatever, but spend the damn money and get some pitching.
Decide what you are going to do with the catching problem and if you want Contreras to be the full time DH, then trade the softball players for someone that can hit. Keep either Edman or Donavon and move the other. Move Gorman fulltime into second, and let him and Winn be the up the middle convo for the next decade.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
It will be an interesting Hot Stove season for the Cards if they plan to improve for 2024. Bring Winn up on Sept. 1st and throw him out there as much as possible for the last month. See if the guy is going to hit at all and get him used to being the everyday SS next season.

Start looking to package O'Neill, Burleson and a few others not named Walker, Noot and Carlson to either get pitching or another quality outfielder that has some power. No more dumpster diving on starting pitching, go sign 2 if not 3 starters that can give you quality starts with the ability to strike people out, if that is a #1 and a #3 starter or three #2's whatever, but spend the damn money and get some pitching.
Decide what you are going to do with the catching problem and if you want Contreras to be the full time DH, then trade the softball players for someone that can hit. Keep either Edman or Donavon and move the other. Move Gorman fulltime into second, and let him and Winn be the up the middle convo for the next decade.
One more year of Goldschmidt on contract and don't want to have a second bad year in a row with Arenado starting to leave his prime. This offseason will tell us how serious ownership is in winning vs turning a profit. It shouldn't be overly difficult sign a $20-$25M per year starter such as Nola, Giolito, Snell, Urias, or S Gray.

Then, and this will hurt a bit, but you're going to have to trade Donovan and O'Neill/Burleson/Herrera for someone like Logan Gilbert or more realistically Bryce Miller or Bryan Woo. Could also try a lesser trade such as O'Neill/Carlson and Edman for a year of Shane Bieber but his contract and recent trend makes him less likely to help as much.

Commit to better defense by rotating Gorman and Walker at DH when Contreras is catching. Catch Contreras 80 games or so with the idea that if you make the playoffs he catches then to lengthen the lineup.

Can make some minor trades or signings to shore up an additional arm in the bullpen but the below should be able to compete in the Central no problem:

Nola
Mikolas
Gilbert/Miller/Woo
Matz
Liberatore/Z Thompson/Hudson/Graceffo

CF Nootbaar
1B Goldy
3B Nado
DH Gorman
C Contreras
RF Walker
LF O'Neill
2B Edman
SS Winn

Reactions: bozclone

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Has anybody figured out what O’Neill was doing when he overran 2nd base last night? That lost run would have been very valuable!
It's a play that they've done before, it just didn't work quite right last night.

If he had slid, he probably would have slowed down some and been out by force, guaranteeing no run. You can score a run by running through since they have to make a tag after the base runner reaches 2nd base. The issue last night was that Goldschmidt was too slow getting home, plus the way the 2nd baseman was positioned made O'Neill slow down a bit anyway and set up the 2nd baseman to quickly make the tag instead of O'Neill forcing a rundown.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
It's a play that they've done before, it just didn't work quite right last night.

If he had slid, he probably would have slowed down some and been out by force, guaranteeing no run. You can score a run by running through since they have to make a tag after the base runner reaches 2nd base. The issue last night was that Goldschmidt was too slow getting home, plus the way the 2nd baseman was positioned made O'Neill slow down a bit anyway and set up the 2nd baseman to quickly make the tag instead of O'Neill forcing a rundown.
Thank you for this explanation!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's being reported the Cards called up Winn today and will be issued #0, before the game tonight.