***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Regarding the Taillon discussion earlier - I was optimistic on him after the end of last year. But bottom line, the contract itself has been atrocious. He was an automatic loss the first half last season and is injured during probably our toughest month of the season.

Unless he’s ace material when he’s back, if any team comes sniffing, I’d give him up for nothing and pocket that $17 so I can get even more next year.
When you look at our pre arbitration options not to mention Imanaga it's crazy to be paying that much for average.

Steele
Assad
Wicks
Brown
Horton
Thompson
Wesneski
Little
Alzolay (I think) nope but team control thru 26

Basically it's crazy not to add an ace and possibly a second closer and go for it.

Side note. CC loves Wesneski's potential.

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
When you look at our pre arbitration options not to mention Imanaga it's crazy to be paying that much for average.

Steele
Assad
Wicks
Brown
Horton
Thompson
Wesneski
Little
Alzolay (I think) nope but team control thru 26

Basically it's crazy not to add an ace and possibly a second closer and go for it.

Side note. CC loves Wesneski's potential.
I was thinking the same thing. For how much we preach smart spending, I’m not sure why a farm-rich would want to spend mid-tier money on a certified mid-tier at best pitcher.

I’d argue you really should only ever spend on a 1 or 2 if you don’t already have them in your system. And if a high-upside guy like Imanaga comes around, sniff.

But we have so many 3-4-5 floor guys in our farm right now. Why waste $17 MM on one when you don’t really have to

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Hindsight is 20/20. There is a particular context that Taillon was signed in. Heading into the offseason before last year the rotation was Stroman going into a year where he could opt out, Steele coming off of one good season where he only pitched 119IP and Hendricks coming off two bad seasons and a shoulder injury in 2022. At the time Wicks/Brown were at Double-A, Assad had less than 40IP in the bigs, Horton hadn't throw a pitch in the Cubs system yet. Taillon was a top 20-30 free agent. It didnt go well the first half of last year and his injury this year was bad timing for a guy who's historically been very durable (other than tommy john which seems like is inevitable for everyone these days). Not going to hold any injury against him, not going to hate on Steele for being hurt right now too would you?

I'm not advocating that he's great, but you need starting depth in spades right now given the way pitching injuries are wracking up around the league and the management of arms and bullpens. His contract doesn't even scratch the surface of the worst contracts out there in baseball right now.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Good game. Nice to “steal” one tonight because Kyle is going to be throwing BP tomorrow. Michael Busch is on pace for a 60 homer season. While I don’t think he’ll hit that, when was the last time the Cubbies had a 40 homer guy?
Bryant had 39 in 2016 and I'm guessing you have to go back to Derrek Lee to find a 40 homer year. He had like 46 in '05.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Bryant had 39 in 2016 and I'm guessing you have to go back to Derrek Lee to find a 40 homer year. He had like 46 in '05.

Kyle has historically started slow, but you have to wonder how long they'll let this go for. He's just getting shelled out there.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hindsight is 20/20. There is a particular context that Taillon was signed in. Heading into the offseason before last year the rotation was Stroman going into a year where he could opt out, Steele coming off of one good season where he only pitched 119IP and Hendricks coming off two bad seasons and a shoulder injury in 2022. At the time Wicks/Brown were at Double-A, Assad had less than 40IP in the bigs, Horton hadn't throw a pitch in the Cubs system yet. Taillon was a top 20-30 free agent. It didnt go well the first half of last year and his injury this year was bad timing for a guy who's historically been very durable (other than tommy john which seems like is inevitable for everyone these days). Not going to hold any injury against him, not going to hate on Steele for being hurt right now too would you?

I'm not advocating that he's great, but you need starting depth in spades right now given the way pitching injuries are wracking up around the league and the management of arms and bullpens. His contract doesn't even scratch the surface of the worst contracts out there in baseball right now.
Nobody's saying it was a bad signing. But now we have better options at a much discounted price. Thankfully he's still at a price that we can deal off at the deadline provided he can be league average or better.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
That was kind of my thought too. Would be crazy to see Busch get to that level. Certainly believe he is capable

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That was kind of my thought too. Would be crazy to see Busch get to that level. Certainly believe he is capable
While Seya is out i wouldn't mind seeing this as the top of the order.
Happ S
Busch L
Morel R
Bellinger L
Swanson R

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Most impressive to me with Busch is his general approach. I think all of his homers have been with two strikes? It's pretty rare to find a guy who's that comfortable working a deep count and still getting to his power in those situations. Seems to just be a super complete hitter who obviously just need his shot somewhere outside of LA given the star power that was blocking him there.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Good discussion with Tommy Birch with the Cub's Baseball Channel's Mick Gillispie on prospects at Iowa. Love what Mick does on this podcast. It's usually all big Cubs but talked AAA today.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
PCA is going to be the starter in CF for a long time regardless of what he does with the bat but the fact that he hasn't been able to fix that hole at the top of the zone is concerning when you hear all the stories about how hard he works. It might just be a thing and his ceiling becomes a lot closer to Kevin Kiermeier, very valuable player that sticks for a decade but never more than a fringe all star in his prime.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
PCA is going to be the starter in CF for a long time regardless of what he does with the bat but the fact that he hasn't been able to fix that hole at the top of the zone is concerning when you hear all the stories about how hard he works. It might just be a thing and his ceiling becomes a lot closer to Kevin Kiermeier, very valuable player that sticks for a decade but never more than a fringe all star in his prime.
We have too many really good OF prospects to give an.out away at the bottom of the order
He's going to need to hit.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Alright. Time to IL Hendricks. Can’t have a guy on the mound who is going to automatically keep you from winning.
One of my favorite all time Cubs. Just a heckuva guy.
Tonight should he his last start and game ever for Chicago.
Heck of a career. Enjoy retirement.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They've got to keep running him out there until Taillon is back and it's almost cruel.

Treat him right and he's a guy that can hang around with the Cubs legends for the next 40 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron