***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This pretty much assures they want Brown in the bullpen for now. Guessing Teheran gets at least one start in Des Moines before there is any movement. With Taillon taking his next start with the big club my guess ( based on speculation I read) they'll push everyone back a day after Taillon. He can piggyback with Smyly. After that Brown can slide to the pen giving us a little more quality relief.

Best case everyone stays healthy and we never see him or he dominates AAA and forces his way to the majors.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Gotta be, right? I think it's also a sign they're comfortable with Morel at 3B full time.

I like Cooper but he's pretty obviously headed for a DFA when Wisdom is finished up in Des Moines.
Hoping not a surprise injury in the OF. Hope Canario actually gets some some action and not just a good seat on the bench that Ross gave him.

As for Wisdom doesn't he still have a minor league options left? Would be perfectly fine leaving him in Iowa as long as possible. I wasn't a fan of bringing him back this year to begin with but it is what it is.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Not going to be popular move here.
If that happens, I dont think he is in Iowa long. I dont know if Wisdom is the long term option. Decent glove, and he has some pop in his bat, but he also likes to swing and miss a lot

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
As for Wisdom doesn't he still have a minor league options left? Would be perfectly fine leaving him in Iowa as long as possible. I wasn't a fan of bringing him back this year to begin with but it is what it is.
He has all three option years left, so the Cubs won't be shy about using one if they think it's the best thing to do, especially since he has over three years of service time already. Plus, he's 32. I don't think they're going to be stingy with the options just in case they want to send him down to Iowa when he's 36.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If that happens, I dont think he is in Iowa long. I dont know if Wisdom is the long term option. Decent glove, and he has some pop in his bat, but he also likes to swing and miss a lot
Just holding a spot for Shaw. Wouldn't be shocked if they tried to deal Wisdom, Taillon and possibly Hoerner at the deadline to make room for the future and add a key bullpen piece or two.

2025 position starters.
C Amaya
1b Busch
2b Morel or Shaw
3b Morel or Shaw
SS Swanson
LF Suzuki
CF Happ or PCA
Rf Caissie

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Too many people writing off Jameson Taillon. He's been a very solid pitcher his entire career. The 1st half of last year was a disaster for him, but he was actually really solid the 2nd half of the season. If he's healthy and back to his norm (which is more likely that repeating his 1st half of last season) then he's a very useful and valuable pitcher to have around.

1st 15 appearances 2023: 71.2 IP, 6.15 ERA
2nd 15 appearances 2023: 82.2 IP, 3.70 ERA

Reactions: RivClone23

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Too many people writing off Jameson Taillon. He's been a very solid pitcher his entire career. The 1st half of last year was a disaster for him, but he was actually really solid the 2nd half of the season. If he's healthy and back to his norm (which is more likely that repeating his 1st half of last season) then he's a very useful and valuable pitcher to have around.

1st 15 appearances 2023: 71.2 IP, 6.15 ERA
2nd 15 appearances 2023: 82.2 IP, 3.70 ERA
At his price I'd rather go with Horton, Brown, Assad or Wicks. Then spend on a star.

@ISUCubswin listed the money set to come off the books. I'd rather add a Cy Young candidate to the top of the rotation between Steele and Imanaga. We have cost effective options for the bottom of the rotation.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
From what I've seen, there's no big names (at least at Yoshi/Senga/Imanaga level) projected to leave next year. 2025 tier 1 is set at $241. Cubs are currently at $233.

With or without Cody, the Cubs will easily have the money to get whatever star they want and stay under the tax. Getting Hendricks ($14.5) Smyly ($7.5) Neris ($9) Mancini ($7) Gomes ($6) Bote ($6) and Barnhart ($3.5) relieves you $53.5.

So you're looking at roughly $61.5 MM in spending money next offseason. Subtract some that will go to arbitration guys and add some for guys that will be cut.

With our farm, my $$ is on Burnes and another Gomes-like catcher.
Here's the money set to come off.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just holding a spot for Shaw. Wouldn't be shocked if they tried to deal Wisdom, Taillon and possibly Hoerner at the deadline to make room for the future and add a key bullpen piece or two.

2025 position starters.
C Amaya
1b Busch
2b Morel or Shaw
3b Morel or Shaw
SS Swanson
LF Suzuki
CF Happ or PCA
Rf Caissie
I'd much rather they deal Morel than Horner. Nico has alot more value imo.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneman003

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If he's productive this year he'll opt out. If PCA isn't ready next year we'll see Happ in center and Caissie on a corner opposite of Suzuki.

With the money they save add another ace from Japan.
Happ in center would scare me.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
At his price I'd rather go with Horton, Brown, Assad or Wicks. Then spend on a star.

@ISUCubswin listed the money set to come off the books. I'd rather add a Cy Young candidate to the top of the rotation between Steele and Imanaga. We have cost effective options for the bottom of the rotation.
I get it, but there are going to a lot of innings to cover the next few years with Steele being the only other starter under contract who's logged a full season of starts. Even if it's a bit higher price tag than maybe they'd like, I think it's a good thing to have a guy around who you can pencil in for ~160IP at league average.

There should still be the cash to splash on a big name. Plus whatever ends up being Sasaki's plan to come over.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I'd much rather they deal Morel than Horner. Nico has alot more value imo.
Gold glover and ,despite a slow start, he's got track record of a good bat and great baserunner. He's much more valuable than Morel, even if you get Morel to a position where he can play at least average defense.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I get it, but there are going to a lot of innings to cover the next few years with Steele being the only other starter under contract who's logged a full season of starts. Even if it's a bit higher price tag than maybe they'd like, I think it's a good thing to have a guy around who you can pencil in for ~160IP at league average.

There should still be the cash to splash on a big name. Plus whatever ends up being Sasaki's plan to come over.
I look at Taillon as league average at best. He's really just a guy that's blocking our future.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron