***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

CycloneT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 14, 2017
Hopefully they send him to the IL with Taillon coming back, but they'll probably just do something stupid and option Brown and just keep everything else the same.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
- Hendricks ERA is over 12 so it’s funny thst we learned scoring 11 runs literally isn’t enough when he pitches

- 3 of our 7 losses come off of Alzolays blown saves. Tough thing is I’m not sure what you can really do about it. Not like there’s any other options.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
After how our bullpen blew up/wore down at the end of the season last year can't believe Hoyer didn't do more to fix the issue for this season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I believe the bullpen will eventually fix itself but that’s largely on the assumption we’ll eventually be a bit more healthy.

Might not be a bad idea to call the Marlins or A’s and see if we can get a guy who isn’t a complete pile of ****

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
After how our bullpen blew up/wore down at the end of the season last year can't believe Hoyer didn't do more to fix the issue for this season.
This has been my knock on the guy and why I’d push for him to be fired if we miss the playoffs this year.

I would say he gets an A+ for trades he’s made.

But if it weren’t for Belli and Shota, I’d say he’s an F in free agency/extensions and in addressing weak areas on the roster.

The scary thing is I think 2025 is the year we can have a World Series roster, but I’m not sure he has the capability to actually build the whole thing

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I believe the bullpen will eventually fix itself but that’s largely on the assumption we’ll eventually be a bit more healthy.

Might not be a bad idea to call the Marlins or A’s and see if we can get a guy who isn’t a complete pile of ****

Personally I think Brown should stay in the rotation even after both starters return but giving him a shot as the closer or late inning high leverage guy should at minimum be warranted.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thought JD had a good point on Kyle last night. It's not like his stuff has left him. He's never thrown hard and the movement seems there. His command just needs fine-tuned a bit.

To my eye, the problem is he's getting behind in counts. With him not having swing-and-miss stuff, he's having to leave too much in the zone to get back in counts.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Lot of innings pitched already and mediocre to poor results for the bullpen:

Last edited:
  • Puke
Reactions: cyguy9320

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I thought JD had a good point on Kyle last night. It's not like his stuff has left him. He's never thrown hard and the movement seems there. His command just needs fine-tuned a bit.

To my eye, the problem is he's getting behind in counts. With him not having swing-and-miss stuff, he's having to leave too much in the zone to get back in counts.
Maybe Angel Hernandez behind the plate for his starts could help, LOL. Angel will call balls 6 inches off the plate strikes sometimes

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My god robo umps can't get here fast enough. Two horrific strike 3 calls already.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Curious if there’s going to be any movement regarding Mastroboni. Dude is absolutely useless on our bench. If we have no interest in him being the future at 1B, maybe bring up Mervis.

My guess is he’s going to be sent to Iowa tonight and Wisdom will come up to Chicago since he’s been getting some OF time in Iowa.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Curious if there’s going to be any movement regarding Mastroboni. Dude is absolutely useless on our bench. If we have no interest in him being the future at 1B, maybe bring up Mervis.

My guess is he’s going to be sent to Iowa tonight and Wisdom will come up to Chicago since he’s been getting some OF time in Iowa.
Wisdom got pulled in the 4th inning today and immediately went to the clubhouse with all his gear. He's coming up tomorrow.

Mastrobuoni doesn't give you anything that you don't already have other than a left handed bat. I don't see how he's a part of your plans at all in Chicago anymore barring injury.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Wesneskis last 24 hours as he just explained on Marquee

- Win on a late night walkoff in Des Moines
- Mervis, his roommate, wakes him up at 1:00 AM because Marty Pevey wanted to talk to him
- Checks phone and sees he missed a ton of phone calls
- 4:00 AM he flies out of Des Moines for Chicago because there are no direct flights to Arizona
- Arrived to stadium 1 hour before first pitch

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

- Mervis, his roommate, wakes him up at 1:00 AM because Marty Pevey wanted to talk to him
- 4:00 AM he flies out of Des Moines for Chicago because there are no direct flights to Arizona
Why wouldn't someone from the organization go knock on his door?

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

And then he pitched four innings without giving up a run. Refreshing after last night's game.

Reactions: CYdTracked