***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm trying to see the good through the bad. We've had a tough schedule to start the season and have dealt with alot of injuries. To be 13-9 is probably a good result.

The next two weeks seem huge. Astros aren't what they used to be, you hope for a split with the Red Sox and have a good chance to take 2 from the Mets. With that said:

A) Brown should have Hendricks spot. They wont do it, but the writing has been on the wall for Hendo for the last few years. If his command isn't elite, he's going to get shelled. And right now his command is baaaaad.

B) I can't believe I'm saying this but give me Madrigal for Morel for a while until he can improve his approach.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm trying to see the good through the bad. We've had a tough schedule to start the season and have dealt with alot of injuries. To be 13-9 is probably a good result.

The next two weeks seem huge. Astros aren't what they used to be, you hope for a split with the Red Sox and have a good chance to take 2 from the Mets. With that said:

A) Brown should have Hendricks spot. They wont do it, but the writing has been on the wall for Hendo for the last few years. If his command isn't elite, he's going to get shelled. And right now his command is baaaaad.

B) I can't believe I'm saying this but give me Madrigal for Morel for a while until he can improve his approach.

Never turn up your nose at 13-9 in any case. That's a 95-96 win pace.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Yep. IL-Arm Fatigue.

You don't cut him and you make it as graceful as you can because he's going to be one of those 'legends' that they keep around the club for a ling time.

Yes. Keep him on the pitching staff if possible.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Never turn up your nose at 13-9 in any case. That's a 95-96 win pace.
13-9 consisting of an opening schedule that included the defending World Series champs, the Dodgers, and a 9 game west coast road trip, without your best pitcher, another starting pitcher for most of it, and arguably your best hitter for the last week should be considered a MASSIVE win.

Would it be nice for Adbert to have not blown those saves and to do better than 2-2 against the Marlins? Of course, but that’s baseball.

I don’t see the Brewers holding up over the course of the season. Peralta is a stud but other than that their rotation leaves a lot to be desired. And of their 14 wins so far, 5 have come from the weak NL Central and the Cubs have yet to play anyone in the division yet

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yep. IL-Arm Fatigue.

You don't cut him and you make it as graceful as you can because he's going to be one of those 'legends' that they keep around the club for a ling time.

And I do think Kyle is a guy that could get right if he had some time. It's not like his stuff has left him. He just can't command his pitches now. Keep Brown in as a place holder, give Kyle 3 weeks off and see what happens when he comes back.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Apparently Wesneski is also being called up. No corresponding moves announced yet, but at least one needs to be an IL stint to allow Wesneski to come back up this soon after being sent down.

• Agree
Reactions: RoseClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Apparently Wesneski is also being called up. No corresponding moves announced yet, but at least one needs to be an IL stint to allow Wesneski to come back up this soon after being sent down.
Hopefully that's Hendricks and he can figure some stuff out.

Other IDK but with Cooper and Wisdom we'll have 4 firstbasemen.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Really like this. Ive always been a Mervis fan. Hoping its not injury related, however if there is a way to have Wisdom, Busch, and Mervis in a lineup at the same time, that could be fun to watch.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Mervis definitely is deserving of another crack at it after his very rough go in the bigs last year. Looks like the opportunity has presented itself and hope he proves me wrong. He seems like the classic way too good for Triple-A but can’t get it done in the show type of player

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Mervis definitely is deserving of another crack at it after his very rough go in the bigs last year. Looks like the opportunity has presented itself and hope he proves me wrong. He seems like the classic way too good for Triple-A but can’t get it done in the show type of player
His contact quality was pretty good when he was up last year.

This is kind of it for him with the Cubs. If he doesn't hit, they've got the very similar McGeary right behind him and I think Mervis is a throw in on a trade somewhere and you're exactly right that he might just be a AAAA player.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
His contact quality was pretty good when he was up last year.

This is kind of it for him with the Cubs. If he doesn't hit, they've got the very similar McGeary right behind him and I think Mervis is a throw in on a trade somewhere and you're exactly right that he might just be a AAAA player.
Plus McGeary bats right so a better fit with Busch.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

But stay tuned, because there are a lot of roster moves coming, and the Cubs haven’t announced any of them yet. Jesse Rogers indicated that not only are Wesneski and Mervis on the way and that Cooper was being DFA’d, but also that Luke Little might be involved as well (and he, too, could only come up for an injured pitcher, so … we’ll see).

Help Support Us

Become a patron