***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I feel that last year's NCAA results is proof that the B12 was a bit overrated. The preseason rankings for next season are the result of the metric manipulation that the B12 was doing last season.
I don't know why people think that NCAA Tourney results determine whether a conferences strength is over/under rated. Maybe if all games were best of five but one-off games mean little. Conference strength is determined before the tourney starts--the number of (or percentage) of teams and their respective seed line is more indicative.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't know why people think that NCAA Tourney results determine whether a conferences strength is over/under rated. Maybe if all games were best of five but one-off games mean little. Conference strength is determined before the tourney starts--the number of (or percentage) of teams and their respective seed line is more indicative.
The results shouldn't be completely thrown out, but basing the conference strength entirely on it shouldn't happen either. The Big 12 metrically was by far the strongest conference all year long. Towards the end of the year though, and it's been brought up, teams had injuries that plagued them and it showed in the tournament.

Matchups also play a huge factor into things. A depleted KU gets Gonzaga in the second round, Iowa State is playing on the toughest side of the bracket, a team like Texas Tech pulling in the first round a team who ends up being the hottest team in the country, etc.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Meh. I'm not going to hold a kid's feet to the fire over stuff like that. Sometimes you get an opportunity that you didn't even know you wanted until it's in front of you. And even if the only motivation was the size of the payday, so what? That's how the world works.
and the beach (and girls). That is the whole reason no one attends sporting events in Cali, don't you know.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Maybe a stupid question but here goes...

Otz says when looking at the portal “What we’re always looking for is guys who are hardworking, high character and self-aware"

Now how is he going to know all that about a player in such a short period of time? Unless he's looking at guys he's already gotten to know back in high school?

I mean you can get a feel for skill, effort and attitude from game film. But what he describes is personality traits.
He knows because he is the Wizard of Otz.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I feel that last year's NCAA results is proof that the B12 was a bit overrated. The preseason rankings for next season are the result of the metric manipulation that the B12 was doing last season.
The grind of playing in the best league where the teams beat each other up every week. Fans of teams in other leagues have been telling us that BS for years, so time we return the flavor.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I wonder how much having to fly across the country 2-3 times per month is going to hold back those West Coast schools in the Big Ten. Los Angeles to Newark-Liberty isn't a short haul.
Is an extra couple hours on a private plane really that much of a problem?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You had Houston with a rash of injuries and then the big one in Shead and Roberts wasn't 100%.
Kansas lost McCullar and read recently Dickinson wasn't 100% either the last month of the year.
Lipsey wasn't 100% for a long time.
Baylor- Langston Love was injured.
Those are your top 4 teams and if all were completely healthy there would have been different tournament results. Especially Houston. They were the one team if fully healthy I think could have taken UCONN.

It wasn't metric manipulation. 1) Kansas and Baylor played really good non-cons. 2) Even if you play a bad team at home it isn't going to help your metrics unless you completely dominate them and the teams that completely dominate them are usually good teams.

It is a stupid talking point brought up by people who didn't know what they were talking about.

There will always be something stupid about people discounting 3 months of basketball because of two weeks worth of games at the end of the year. But at the end of the day, there are alot of stupid people. So here we are.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Yes and no. They didn't perform to their seeds, but I don't think that takes away from how difficult the 18 game conference schedule was, especially compared to other conferences.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
There's no proof.

Reactions: Acer88

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Could we start talking about how next years team has a very legit shot at being a 30+ win team? Which (I believe) would be only the second time that has ever happened in school history
Predictions are going to be a little different this year. There is no "ceiling" number of wins.
They won't go undefeated on the season, and won't be undefeated in the Big 12, but I could certainly see them undefeated in the non con. And they will have a legit chance to win every game they play.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Predictions are going to be a little different this year. There is no "ceiling" number of wins.
They won't go undefeated on the season, and won't be undefeated in the Big 12, but I could certainly see them undefeated in the non con. And they will have a legit chance to win every game they play.
I'm going to ignore sentence number 3 and focus on sentence 2. Infinite wins!