*** Official #25 Washington State vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024
They have the size but I'm not sure they're athletic enough to hang, especially if we run them a lot.
Jones is their tallest guy in the starting lineup. They have a few taller guys that come off the bench. Their perimeter guys are big but they don't have much size in the interior.

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024
For sure. Height is one thing, and maybe the size that NYCBFan was talking about was our probable advantage when it comes to how our big guys get after it. Wazzu has a slower pace than we do. And they also turn the ball over more.
Yeah, I was talking about their inside height. Jones is really their only post player and he's 6'9". Their height is on the perimeter. Rice is a good sized PG, Wells and Jakimovski are tall but they're perimeter guys. They have some height off the bench but those guys aren't overly athletic while the Cyclones frontcourt guys are very bouncy.

Reactions: exCYtable

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Pretty sure on average, Wazzu is like the 2nd tallest team in the tournament. Maybe someone who can spy the kenpom stat can confirm.
On kenpom Washington State's average height is 79.3" (a little over 6'7") which is #2 in the country, and their "Effective Height" is +1.5, which is #28. Those numbers for Iowa State are 77.6" (a little under 6'6") and +0.4.

"Effective Height" is evidently the average of the center and power forward positions. I would guess the number is inches above or below the Division 1 average but I'm not sure of that.

WSU's shooting guards are particularly tall, +3.2, #1 in the country by far.

These numbers all exclude players who have played less than 10% of the minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: NENick

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jones is their tallest guy in the starting lineup. They have a few taller guys that come off the bench. Their perimeter guys are big but they don't have much size in the interior.
They have two posts that start 6'9'' and 6'11''. Their bench isn't huge, that's true.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
On kenpom Washington State's average height is 79.3" (a little over 6'7") which is #2 in the country, and their "Effective Height" is +1.5, which is #28. Those numbers for Iowa State are 77.6" (a little under 6'6") and +0.4.

"Effective Height" is evidently the average of the center and power forward positions. I would guess the number is inches above or below the Division 1 average but I'm not sure of that.

Athleticism, energy, and positioning can negate a couple of inches.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

Idk… they don’t seem like they have much guard skill. Imagine ISU starting a lineup of Ward, Bob, King, Watson, and Curtis. That lineup would be tall, and it would cause problems for opposing offenses, but it would also struggle to do a lot of things on the other end.

CloneGrad'16

Mar 21, 2024
Noticed 4/5 of the Wash State starters all played 34-39 tough minutes against Drake, now have to put up with our defense having 1 day to prepare. I think with how the Drake game played out and WSU late rally they were grateful to win that game, meanwhile we felt confident of the win our entire game. I could see this being close and low scoring to start if the guys can't hit some shots, but feel like we pull away getting the big men plenty of buckets. Crowd should be stacked with ISU fans, guys should feed off the energy. I have faith!
73-57 good guys

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Everyone is mentioning that Wazzu beat Arizona twice. But I watched highlights of their Pac-12 losses to poor Arizona State and Washington squads and their loss to CU in the conference tournament. They are long but not quick. They repeatedly got burned by ball screens at the top of the key leading to drives to the hoop. If you get in the lane they will leave their man to help leaving the kickout 3 wide open. Did not look like a top 25 defense to me. Offensively, they do want to grind the game down. They appeared to have decent shooting in those losses even though the numbers say they don't make a lot of three pointers. They go hard after offensive rebounds. Watching the highlights, they reminded me of Cincy this year, who ISU beat in the only matchup in Hilton by 9. Should be a good game, first to 60 wins it.
Didn't ISU play at Cincy?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Is it 5:10 yet?

giphy.gif

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Spanky

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Everyone is mentioning that Wazzu beat Arizona twice. But I watched highlights of their Pac-12 losses to poor Arizona State and Washington squads and their loss to CU in the conference tournament. They are long but not quick. They repeatedly got burned by ball screens at the top of the key leading to drives to the hoop. If you get in the lane they will leave their man to help leaving the kickout 3 wide open. Did not look like a top 25 defense to me. Offensively, they do want to grind the game down. They appeared to have decent shooting in those losses even though the numbers say they don't make a lot of three pointers. They go hard after offensive rebounds. Watching the highlights, they reminded me of Cincy this year, who ISU beat in the only matchup in Hilton by 9. Should be a good game, first to 60 wins it.
That's actually a pretty good comparison. Except we played then in Cincinnati, not Hilton.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
WSU has some height inside but their 5 doesn’t look that athletic: do not see Rob having trouble with him.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
WSU has some height inside but their 5 doesn’t look that athletic: do not see Rob having trouble with him.
Yeah it's not a big suprise to see a team full of low major transfers (or worse) be pretty stiff and awkward. They have height, they play hard, they are pretty fearless given their limitations, and they do have some sneaky good shot making ability based on what I've seen...but they aren't overwhelming anybody in D1 with foot speed or athleticism.