*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I hate to be "that guy" again, but K-States D is up to 19th now. It's just a battle every night on the road in this league.

I thought that was the 2nd worst game we've played the entire season and still had a chance at the end. There are definitely offensive struggles lately, but then when we finally get a chance to play a bad defensive team like BYU they have an elite offense so we are expending just as much trying to stop their offense.

There's just no easy outs in this league and 13-5 us way beyond expectations. I think I predicted 8-10 before the Big 12 started. Figured they'd go 6-3 at home and win a couple road games.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Saying Sweet 16 is a ceiling is ridiculous.
I don’t know how that’s ridiculous given our offensive performance the last 5-6 games. Assuming we’re a 3 seed (could see us dropping to 4 depending on how conference tourneys go) you’re talking about beating one of the top 8 teams in the country right now on a neutral site to get to the elite 8.

Is that impossible? No. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous for someone to say we’re not going past Sweet 16.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I hate to be "that guy" again, but K-States D is up to 19th now. It's just a battle every night on the road in this league.

While this is true, two things can be true at the same time. They have a good defense and we played a terrible game. And the teamcast on torvik backs up your thought that it was the 2nd worst game of the season (virginia tech being the worst)

Even adjusted for our competition, our offense has been way off the last 5 games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s perplexing that our offense fell off, but we’re winning mostly and a 2-3 seed!

I think the talent is more limited offensively than what those peak adjO numbers suggested and there's not much room to do a ton of adjusting.

That goes for the realistic level of athleticism/talent/skillsets.

It's better than the last two years and still more capable but it can go south if they get away from their game.

To push through and have this kind of season is really impressive.

Any win is good and any win from here on out is great.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I don’t know how that’s ridiculous given our offensive performance the last 5-6 games. Assuming we’re a 3 seed (could see us dropping to 4 depending on how conference tourneys go) you’re talking about beating one of the top 8 teams in the country right now on a neutral site to get to the elite 8.

Is that impossible? No. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous for someone to say we’re not going past Sweet 16.
Correct, if our offense stays on this trend, we are not beating a good team on a neutral court. We should’ve lost to BYU, but Hilton made that win happen.
We haven’t seen anything to say otherwise about our offense for the past 3 weeks. So until they prove they can get their mojo back on offense, sweet 16 ceiling.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I figured it was the BYU game in Provo. I guess the Virginia Tech game was so long ago now I forgot about it.

2fqhZ8N.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I thought that was the 2nd worst game we've played the entire season and still had a chance at the end. There are definitely offensive struggles lately, but then when we finally get a chance to play a bad defensive team like BYU they have an elite offense so we are expending just as much trying to stop their offense.

There's just no easy outs in this league and 13-5 us way beyond expectations. I think I predicted 8-10 before the Big 12 started. Figured they'd go 6-3 at home and win a couple road games.

And size wise they seemed to be a real problem like in rebounding etc.

ISU held them at bay in that area in Ames but it was still a tight game until Tang got T'd up.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013

twincyties must be isuno1fan

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Correct, if our offense stays on this trend, we are not beating a good team on a neutral court. We should’ve lost to BYU, but Hilton made that win happen.
We haven’t seen anything to say otherwise about our offense for the past 3 weeks. So until they prove they can get their mojo back on offense, sweet 16 ceiling.
If you want to play could have/should have, then you must play both way. We should have won at Baylor and Oklahoma.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I take offense to this. I was pissed. I went out to the garage, turned on the heater, poured myself two fingers of Blanton’s and had a cigar while watching Kansas get destroyed. I was over our game by 10 minutes in. Losses happen. Even if we don’t win another game, it has been a fun season. Life always goes on.
I’m told this isn’t the way you’re supposed to think about this season.

Reactions: Clonefan94

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
And in the last 3 weeks we are 4-2 with 2 quad 1 wins and 2 quad 1 losses. This team is far from perfect, but they are perfectly capable of beating any team on a neutral court and model outputs would even tell you that. Saying they can't get past the sweet 16 is on its face ridiculous.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I’m told this isn’t the way you’re supposed to think about this season.
What he did was fine. It's the whole embarrassing oneself on a message board part that gets a little silly. He didn't do that part.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Neither did I in my initial comment. It was exactly the same as this.

Also…why is being right embarrassing?
I wasn't really directing it at you, just the general panic on the board. I'll amend my post.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think the fact is this team has been very overachieving this season. While the ceiling offensively is higher than last 2 seasons I think the floor is just as low. Going to be tough to win multiple games in a tournament setting if we run into a teams hitting 3s which is still the way this game is won. Still think we can beat anyone in a one game setting if we bring out A game though.
The numbers would actually go the opposite way and say that the floor of this offense is higher than the previous two seasons, and the ceiling is similar or lower.

For example, the home OU game had the worst adjusted offensive rating for Iowa State this season at 95.5, per Barttorvik. Last season, that would have only been 6th worst, with the notable Pittsburgh game falling all the way down at 68.2. In Otz's first season, the OU game would have only been 13th worst! Plus, I doubt that any team would dare to defend this ISU team like Pitt did with last year's team--more or less not defending the perimeter at all.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
And in the last 3 weeks we are 4-2 with 2 quad 1 wins and 2 quad 1 losses. This team is far from perfect, but they are perfectly capable of beating any team on a neutral court and model outputs would even tell you that. Saying they can't get past the sweet 16 is on its face ridiculous.
And in the last 3 weeks we have the 227th ranked offense.
And our performance in the past 3 weeks says that we’re the 30th best team in the country. That is not going to fly in the tournament unless something changes.
I’ll eat crow if they change things up, but if this current trend continues, I don’t think there’s anyway we could get to the elite 8.

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE