***Official Big 12 Expansion Thread '16***

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
WVU will ultimately end up in the ACC IMO so I personally would like to see us add BYU and Houston now, then maybe Boise State and either Memphis or Cinci later if no P5 teams are available

WVU will never end up in the ACC because their academics do not stack up. If the Big 12 crumbles, WVU's only hope of staying in a P4 conference would be the SEC - but if the SEC actually wanted WVU they'd already be there.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
WVU will never end up in the ACC because their academics do not stack up. If the Big 12 crumbles, WVU's only hope of staying in a P4 conference would be the SEC - but if the SEC actually wanted WVU they'd already be there.

The ACC just took Louisville so I doubt they would pass on WVU because of academics

Reactions: HoopsTournament

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Here is the on thing I have never figured out about expansion. As the leagues grow, the teams are only more likely to not be as elite as they once were. Lets say we get to the 4x16 model that has been talked about.

I want a 4x 20 model not a 4 x 16. That way there is 9 game full round robin for winner of division and doesn't matter what your non-conference record is.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
for **** sakes if the acc had wanted wvu they would already be there. they passed.

Calm down, this could actually be a good thing... let me explain..... Lots of stuff has happened since last time the ACC had to think about inviting WVU.

And it would likely mean that the B1G and/or SEC raided the ACC. That is much more preferable to them raiding our conference. If say UVA and UNC went to the B1G or NC State/Va Tech went to the SEC (or both), then it would likely open up the path for WVU to the ACC and that would be a good thing, IMO.

WVU has ZERO impact on the B12's stability, IMO. Texas, OU and KU are the only three that matter in the B12's future. If they are committed, then WVU is just a replaceable piece.

Geographically, it may make sense for the B12 to invite teams that would help us dominate the Central and Mountain time zones. It would possibly make WVU a little mad, but I can live with them in the ACC.

Reactions: Buster28

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I want a 4x 20 model not a 4 x 16. That way there is 9 game full round robin for winner of division and doesn't matter what your non-conference record is.

While I would agree 10 team divisions is the best set-up. A 4x20 set-up (80 teams) would dilute the TV rights revenue currently earned by the 65 current P5 teams. I could see 6x11 divisions with 10 division games and 2 non-division games. The 6 winners would automatically get playoff berths plus 2 at large. The extra round of playoffs would replace conference championship games.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

That might have been the case 4 years ago, but options are a lot more limited today. UConn is a natural for the Big10 or ACC, but WVU makes sense for the ACC as a new market and a rival for Pitt. Also, as we have seen, colleges have made academic compromises in expansion choices in order to maximize revenue.

Heck 4 years ago, would you have thought the Big12 would consider Houston, Cincy or Memphis for Big12 membership?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

While I would agree 10 team divisions is the best set-up. A 4x20 set-up (80 teams) would dilute the TV rights revenue currently earned by the 65 current P5 teams. I could see 6x11 divisions with 10 division games and 2 non-division games. The 6 winners would automatically get playoff berths plus 2 at large. The extra round of playoffs would replace conference championship games.

If they were to go 4x20 why have four conferences and why consolidate the way they have. You had 6 conferences previously. 8x10 or 6x12 would have made sense 10 years ago now it doesn't.

Ultimately we are moving toward a consolidation of power. Maybe 40 teams get in. That is my guess. UT, OU, tOSU, MI, Bama, FL USC Stanford will eventually figure out they can make more money cutting the weight of the ISU, Iowa , Vanderbilt, ect... Of the worlds. This happens after they lose tax exempt status. Maybe 15 years from now. ISU should want to get while the getting is good.

I have a lot of hopes/dreams about what might happen but ultimately I think that above is what happens. That is why I am all for adding 4 teams maxing revenue from the current deals. It could be the last grab at the apple. Might as well ride the money train while it is here.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Love Huggins attitude.

Mike Gundy said the exact same thing on the Jim Rome show. He said we were perfect the way we are but also stated even though he's one of the B12's longest tenured FB coaches, his opinion probably doesn't matter.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If they were to go 4x20 why have four conferences and why consolidate the way they have. You had 6 conferences previously. 8x10 or 6x12 would have made sense 10 years ago now it doesn't.

Ultimately we are moving toward a consolidation of power. Maybe 40 teams get in. That is my guess. UT, OU, tOSU, MI, Bama, FL USC Stanford will eventually figure out they can make more money cutting the weight of the ISU, Iowa , Vanderbilt, ect... Of the worlds. This happens after they lose tax exempt status. Maybe 15 years from now. ISU should want to get while the getting is good.

I have a lot of hopes/dreams about what might happen but ultimately I think that above is what happens. That is why I am all for adding 4 teams maxing revenue from the current deals. It could be the last grab at the apple. Might as well ride the money train while it is here.

I don't see this happening purely because if you trim off all the non premier teams that means that some of those premier teams are going to end up bottom dwellers. And they aren't going to sign up for that. Look at how much schools like Michigan and Texas have freaked out recently due to a bad season or two. Do you think they'd risk that becoming the norm by having to play other heavyweights every week?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I don't see this happening purely because if you trim off all the non premier teams that means that some of those premier teams are going to end up bottom dwellers. And they aren't going to sign up for that. Look at how much schools like Michigan and Texas have freaked out recently due to a bad season or two. Do you think they'd risk that becoming the norm by having to play other heavyweights every week?

They have already risked by expanding their conferences, and removing competing conferences. We all say this is all about money. Which is worth more. UT in the current big 12 or them in a 10 team division of the 40 biggest schools around the country. Think about it, currently the networks pay considerable money to 65 schools. If they can trim that to 40 schools the payout go up, and when you have 40 schools that are all considered the cream of the crop, that is worth even more. Because they aren't going to pay the teams that are left behind anything like what they are getting paid now. We have seen this with what they have done with the AAC. ESPN got pissed at the Big East and basically told the ACC to raid what they wanted, and they blew it up. It became worthless, and the teams that were left invited conference USA, and now they make like $3m at the most.

I want there to be more teams involved. But my gut tells me that the UTs and OUs of the world will eventually get tired of giving up $s so that the ISUs of the world can keep pace. If each school was responsible for their own rights how far behind would we be from OU and UT? If they go to a 40 team league, sure they are more likely to also rans, but they will be making crazy bank. And to this point nothing about realignment has shown me that it is about anything other than making bank.

Hell what if Mark Cuban offered $3 billion a year for the 40 best football programs to play in a league he creates. They leave their other teams in the conferences as they are now. You don't think the big boys would jump at that.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Houston and Memphis would not be in consideration if I was A.D. at either of our schools. Houston would be another nail in Texas recruiting. Memphis offers nothing. A bad academic school. A nasty city. No fan base. Not even their own stadium. I'd take CSU, BYU, UCONN, New Mexico or even Cincinnati before considering those two city commuter schools.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
They have already risked by expanding their conferences, and removing competing conferences. .

Yeah, those heavyweights of Maryland and Rutgers. Expansion so far has diluted competition, not expanded it. Think of it the other way around. The Big Ten went to 14 schools. What if they'd trimmed down and gone to 8 instead, which is basically what going to the top 32 or 40 P5 schools would be. Say you have a conference of just Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Somebody is getting last place.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, those heavyweights of Maryland and Rutgers. Expansion so far has diluted competition, not expanded it. Think of it the other way around. The Big Ten went to 14 schools. What if they'd trimmed down and gone to 8 instead, which is basically what going to the top 32 or 40 P5 schools would be. Say you have a conference of just Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Somebody is getting last place.

upload_2016-8-25_11-27-35.png

Look at the Big 12 North representatives. Guess which of those 4 former Big 12 North schools has had the best record since conference realignment began in 2011?

Regular Season Record from 2011 Season through 2015 Season:

Kansas State: 43-17
Nebraska: 41-19
Missouri: 38-22
Colorado: 14-48* (Played @ Hawaii twice, which gave them two extra non-con games)

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'm pretty sure WVU has better academics than Louisville does now.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
View attachment 43825

Look at the Big 12 North representatives. Guess which of those 4 former Big 12 North schools has had the best record since conference realignment began in 2011?

Regular Season Record from 2011 Season through 2015 Season:

Kansas State: 43-17
Nebraska: 41-19
Missouri: 38-22
Colorado: 14-48* (Played @ Hawaii twice, which gave them two extra non-con games)

I'm legitimately confused as to what your point is there.

Reactions: SoapyCy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I see that. Guess things have changed since I was a student. That was like the jokiest college back then.

I even remember Doug's wife (on King of Queens) was accepted to FSU.

Wasn't it a women's college not terribly long ago?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron