***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Status
Not open for further replies.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
do we have a chance at landing in the big ten in your opinion?

Can't speak for Al but I'd say no.

The only way I can imagine is as a tag-along. The B1G presidents could hold their nose and take us but I agree with Al, KSU is beyond the pale.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Just like Texas and A&M.

If you think KSU has a chance in hell of being in the Big 10, you're out of your mind.

Iirc UT & aTm are different than UI/ISU, OU/oSu or KU/KSU. Isn't it separate regent systems? I could be wrong but I thought our linkage was closer than theirs?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
So who is more screwed if **** goes down us or the purple kitties?

Well KSU at least has success in football behind them, we really dont have a ton of success at any sport. Basketball has been good not great, football obviously has no history.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Well KSU at least has success in football behind them, we really dont have a ton of success at any sport. Basketball has been good not great, football obviously has no history.

ISU is an AAU institution with expertise in certain areas that would be seen as valuable in partnership with other institutions. Even with KSUs recent football success they don't move the needle any more than ISU with regard to realignment. To other conference commissioners and university presidents the state of Kansas = KU in terms of eyeballs academics.

Imo KSU is more likely to ultimately suffer P5 exclusion than ISU but we are at great risk.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
do we have a chance at landing in the big ten in your opinion?

If the Big 12 blew up with UT and OU going to the Pac or SEC, then yes.

Notre Dame isn't joining any time soon, and us and KU are the only schools in the Big 12 that meet their criteria. If they can't reel in OU and UT (and they can't/won't) ISU and KU would be the only unaffiliated AAU schools. KU isn't going to be in a position to demand KSU's inclusion, and with KU in the fold, ISU would be a strong geographical fit.

As much as I don't like the idea of the Big 10 and not having Texas recruiting, having a division with 5 opponents within 3-4 hours of Ames would be cool for fans.

Last edited:

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
If the Big 12 blew up with UT and OU going to the Pac or SEC, then yes.

Notre Dame isn't joining any time soon, and us and KU are the only schools in the Big 12 that meet their criteria. If they can't reel in OU and UT (and they can't/won't) ISU and KU would be the only unaffiliated AAU schools. KU isn't going to be in a position to demand KSU's inclusion, and with KU in the fold, ISU would be a strong geographical fit.

As much as I don't like the idea of the Big 10 and not having Texas recruiting, having a division with 5 opponents within 3-4 hours of Ames would be cool for fans.

You don't daydream much at all do you?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You don't daydream much at all do you?

If the Big 12 blows up (I don't think it will happen) and Notre Dame refuses to join, what do you expect the Big 10 to do?

My statement is contingent on both of those things happening. If Notre Dame decides to join the Big 10, we'd have no chance unless they wanted to go past 16.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
ND will likely never join the Big10, unless they can work out a deal to not give money to the CIC. If the ACC explodes, I can't see them going to the AAC or SEC, Big12 is about their last option.

Who knows if they still want independence in 2025...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If the Big 12 blows up (I don't think it will happen) and Notre Dame refuses to join, what do you expect the Big 10 to do?

My statement is contingent on both of those things happening. If Notre Dame decides to join the Big 10, we'd have no chance unless they wanted to go past 16.

It all depends on if bigger is viewed as better. In your scenario we assume that conferences all like the idea of 16-20 teams.

I agree it's most likely if the biggest $ pieces of the Big 12 go to Pac and SEC rather than Big 10, then the Big 10 continues with the poaching of the ACC it already started and maybe Kansas, if the ACC truly remained strong taking away the B10s desired expansion route (which I doubt they would the way Maryland bolted) only then ISU could potentially go along with KU if the Pac and SEC have another round of expansion adding significant B12 programs.

Certain power brokers want 4 conferences but the natural selection untamed nature of it seems like we're destined for 5 or 3, the non-marquee ACC and Big 12 teams absolutely need at least one of the conferences to stay fully intact. If both get poached again it'll be 3 big conferences, not 4 or 5. For the to end up 4 huge mega conferences, there needs to be some sort of cooperation in dividing the map. If it went natural you'd have the B1G, SEC and PAC being gigantic and top leftover remnants of the ACC/B12/American being the 4th but lesser conference, not the nice and neat 64 team playoff the Pac commissioner publicly stated he wanted.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I think we could land in the big ten newly renevated stadium, basketball is rolling, high student enrollment, aau member. I think we offer enough to get picked up by them. I know I know tv's, eyeballs, football ( lack there of right now) population and all the other bullshitt, but I think we could do it if, BIG IF our conference splits.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think we could land in the big ten newly renevated stadium, basketball is rolling, high student enrollment, aau member. I think we offer enough to get picked up by them. I know I know tv's, eyeballs, football ( lack there of right now) population and all the other bullshitt, but I think we could do it if, BIG IF our conference splits.

As I said, as a tag-along we make a lot of sense...we'd be way down the list of options, though.

We're as good as KU academically and are smack dab in the middle of Lincoln, IC, Minneapolis & Lawrence...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

It's not necessarily about eyeballs (although you're right). If you're the B1G and you want a truly national brand you wouldn't add a school from a state you're in already.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010

The BIG10 already has a presence in Iowa so it would cost them $ to add us. I think they would take KU and then approach Missouri. If Mizzou could get passed the butt-hurt from being previously passed on they would jump at the change to join the BIG10. They could leave the SEC since there are no penalties of GOR and then revive their rivalries with KU and Illinois as well as former conference-mate Neb.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Just like Texas and A&M.

If you think KSU has a chance in hell of being in the Big 10, you're out of your mind.
UT and A&M are completely different. There is a huge divide in the state of Texas at very high levels over these 2 schools.

With that said, even with the huge divide between the 2, the only reason they left each other was because of the LHN. I don't see something that big coming between KU and KSU.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
yes I would think we have a better shot at the Big 10 than K-State, we have a .0000002% chance and they have .0000001% chance

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
UT and A&M are completely different. There is a huge divide in the state of Texas at very high levels over these 2 schools.

With that said, even with the huge divide between the 2, the only reason they left each other was because of the LHN. I don't see something that big coming between KU and KSU.

And people think I'm the crazy one in this thread...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

That's what I'm getting at.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I'd sooner not be in a power conference if the only choice is the Big Ten.

Puke.
Pretty happy you are not our AD. If we ever turned down even remote interest from the B10, JP should be fired (and maybe prosecuted).

Status
Not open for further replies.