***OFFICIAL BIG12 EXPANSION THREAD***

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Rutgers = AAU and access to good New Jersey recruiting grounds.

I think this is very important. They love their football there is New Jersey. If you play on the road at WVU one year and Rutgers the next you can sell that to east coast/Mid Atlantic type recruits, the potential is huge. You would need to make sure ALL games are shown out there for the parents and families to watch.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think this is very important. They love their football there is New Jersey. If you play on the road at WVU one year and Rutgers the next you can sell that to east coast/Mid Atlantic type recruits, the potential is huge. You would need to make sure ALL games are shown out there for the parents and families to watch.

And Rhoads would already have connections there from his time at Pitt...ok, warming up to the idea.

XOVERX

Nov 2, 2011
To me, at least, a 16 team conference, correctly set up, is superior to a 12-team conference, because a 16-team conference gives you all the benefits of a 12-team conference, yet you get a much greater footprint, power, and revenue generating potential in a 16-team conference. Furthermore, in the old B12, we didn't get a cross-divisional protected rivalry game. What we did get in our 12-team conference was 4 OOC games.

Let's revisit the old B12. As ya'll know, we used to play the other 5 teams in our division, our "core rivals," plus 3 from the other division, totalling 8 conference games and 4 OOC games. There was also a 2-year gap between playing every team in the league because we played the three teams from the opposite division on a home-and-home 2 years in a row.

In a 16-team league set up in 4 pods of 4 teams, you have tremendous flexiblity. You can either play full schedule of 7 conference games with 5 OOC games (which the Domers would love, what with their myriad rivalries). Or, you can have a full schedule of 8 conference games, consisting of a cross-pod "protected rivalry" game every year, a second "rivalry game" with another team every 2 out of 3 years, and still get 4 OOC games.

Properly set up, a 16-team conference gives you 4 annual rivalries, 1 other rival you play twice every 3 years, for a core of 5 conference rivals, and you can play every team in the league every 3 years. A correct setup with 16 teams gives you virtually the same 5-core rivalry you get in a 12-team league, along with the same 8 conference games, 4 OOC, and the same 2-year gap required to play every team in the league. Thus, you get the much greater footprint, power, and revenue production of a 16-team league, but with all the benefits of a 12-team league.

A freshman enters college and his school has played every team in the league by the end of his junior year, with the cycle repeating in his senior year. A 16-team league does not necessarily have to be some unwieldy, impersonal conglomeration if it is well-structured.

Last edited:

XOVERX

Nov 2, 2011
There is something to be said for camradery. There is also something to be said for paying the bills.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Rutgers can't even fill a 50k seat stadium for a bowl game that is one hour from their campus, yet somehow they are going to bring the New York market to the Big XII?

There is a reason the Big Ten looked the other way. I'm not saying we shouldn't add Rutgers, but don't give me the New York TV set justification.

The Big XII has shown their plan for expansion: quality football programs.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If I were in charge, I'd probably add Louisville and USF. I wouldn't mind Rutgers and have went back and forth on it a little, but I think that USF adds more. That gets us into FL a little, which helps ISU, although it legitimizes USF a little, who we run into quite a bit in the recruiting wars. I don't know what kind of TV audiences they draw or what kind of attendance they have, but they do play decent football. Losing those two teams destabilizes the Big East a little and is a shot at the SEC, who pilfered two Big 12 teams this year. If they WERE to go to 16, I'd probably take Rutgers and either Cincy or UCONN. I don't know that going to 16 helps the conference that much though without ND.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Rutgers can't even fill a 50k seat stadium for a bowl game that is one hour from their campus, yet somehow they are going to bring the New York market to the Big XII?

There is a reason the Big Ten looked the other way. I'm not saying we shouldn't add Rutgers, but don't give me the New York TV set justification.

What Rutgers brings to the Big 12 isn't the mythical New York TV market, its AAU status. Which is something the Big 10 isn't exactly lacking.

I think a Rutgers addition would be as much about academics as anything. It's like the idea of adding Tulane, except Rutgers has a much bigger fanbase, and even though they aren't a top notch program, they've accomplished a lot more on the field and get better fan support than Tulane, all the while being an AAU school, which was one of the big perks of Tulane (as well as geography).

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
If the Big 12 is to expand why not go for the gold and go to 16
East
Miami,Fl
Florida St
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Rutgers
West Virginia
Lousiville / Pittsburgh
Iowa St

West
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas Christian
Baylor

The four southern ACC schools are more football schools than basketball.
The ACC is much more of a basketball conference, so those four schools
might be interested in a football first conference. I think this conference
would have the largest TV contract of any conference since it would
stretch from NYC,PA,WVA to SC,GA,FL to TX & OK (As we all know IA
& KS dont count in TV marketing). :smile:

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
East
Miami,Fl
Florida St
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Rutgers
West Virginia
Lousiville / Pittsburgh
Iowa St

West
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas Christian
Baylor

I like the thinking on this but ISU having to travel to Miami, Florida State, Clemson, etc... would not be good $$ wise. I for one would love to watch ISU play in Doak Campbell Stadium but I am not the entire fanbase.

Just a thought...

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

you would add Rutgers if you had a model setup like the big 10 has with their network. If they were not able to see the justification to add Rutgers, maybe it would not work. I personally think it would and the Big 10 would add them their next round of expansion but since the Big 12 does not follow a conference network and wants everyone to fend for themselves Rutgers does not make sense for the Big 12.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
East
Miami,Fl
Florida St
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Rutgers
West Virginia
Lousiville / Pittsburgh
Iowa St

West
Kansas
Kansas St
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas Christian
Baylor

I hate and loathe those divisions. If ISU ends up separated from our 8 southern friends, I will be ****** beyond all belief. Stay at 10.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
More interesting reading on the West Virginia Scout Board

Scout.com: I was told Louisville and Rutgers have been approached

That WVU board pretty much thinks the '11 Pinstripe Bowl is a new Big 12 conference game going forward.

Pretty much everyone thought Louisville was a certainty but I haven't seen anybody talking about Rutgers like that before.

I'm pretty much fine with that though. Go with that 12. If you can somehow get ND on board down the road go to 14 or 16 with schools like BYU, Tulane or ACC defectors. Otherwise 12 makes sense...for the Big 12.

Also wonder how much truth there is that BC is strong against UCONN in ACC.