****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good grief, not directly ISU related but Mr. One-n-Done top recruit dude Michael Porter is bailing on Washington and maybe going to Missouri. I get that Washington has fired it's coach but Missouri has offered his dad a coaching position. Of course wasn't it the same thing with Washington to land Porter's first LOI, hire dad? JFC.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Same reason he went to Washington to begin with.

Yeah, I forgot to add that...edited it. Whar Danny Mannings dad? At least dad Porter was involved in young coaching but it still sucks as buying your recruit. Wasn't he hired earlier at Mizzu by his wife's sister when she was coaching there? Family business.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, I forgot to add that...edited it. Whar Danny Mannings dad? At least dad Porter was involved in young coaching but it still sucks as buying your recruit. Wasn't he hired earlier at Mizzu by his wife's sister when she was coaching there? Family business.
Yeah this is nowhere near as bad as crooked KU. Porter grew up in Columbia and part of his family never left. His Dad has been and will be an actual bench coach. This isn't crooked as much as it is common sense. Hundreds of assistants are hired due to their relationship to recruits. In fact, that's what they're paid to do- develop relationships with players.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah this is nowhere near as bad as crooked KU. Porter grew up in Columbia and part of his family never left. His Dad has been and will be an actual bench coach. This isn't crooked as much as it is common sense. Hundreds of assistants are hired due to their relationship to recruits. In fact, that's what they're paid to do- develop relationships with players.
I believe ISU lost a recruit because his handler was hired as an assistant at a prep school (Yes. A prep school, not a college) in Las Vegas. This prep school is essentially a school for basketball players that is primarily funded by one prominent UNLV booster. Are my facts about this correct or are there alternate facts?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I believe ISU lost a recruit because his handler was hired as an assistant at a prep school (Yes. A prep school, not a college) in Las Vegas. This prep school is essentially a school for basketball players that is primarily funded by one prominent UNLV booster. Are my facts about this correct or are there alternate facts?

Your facts are correct

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't understand why you would want to play for a crappy team just because your dad coaches there. The dad is basically using the son to get into D1 men's basketball coaching. If I had one year to play in college I would pick the team I thought I could win a championship with. But to each his own.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Yep. Prep school hired handler. Recruit attended prep school and then UNLV. Handler stayed on staff at prep school which was created by massive UNLV booster. UNLV could pay handler's prep school salary and handler could pay recruit because of his pre-existing relationship before he was eligible for the NCAA.

What a world.

And it looks like handler isn't on the Findlay staff anymore now that the recruit has moved on to the NBA.
http://www.findlayprep.com/pilotcoachingstaff

But look who is on staff: Ed O'Bannon! F*** that guy. He pretty much ruined EA Sports NCAA games.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't understand why you would want to play for a crappy team just because your dad coaches there. The dad is basically using the son to get into D1 men's basketball coaching. If I had one year to play in college I would pick the team I thought I could win a championship with. But to each his own.
Never question the influence of easy money. Did Danny Manning really think a team starting Jeff Gueldner and Chris Piper would be an easy way to win a national championship? More credit to Danny Manning and Larry Brown, I guess.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yep. Prep school hired handler. Recruit attended prep school and then UNLV. Handler stayed on staff at prep school which was created by massive UNLV booster. UNLV could pay handler's prep school salary and handler could pay recruit because of his pre-existing relationship before he was eligible for the NCAA.

What a world.

And it looks like handler isn't on the Findlay staff anymore now that the recruit has moved on to the NBA.

But look who is on staff: Ed O'Bannon! F*** that guy. He pretty much ruined EA Sports NCAA games.
Now that his highly recruited nephew signed with a different school, I wonder how much longer Mr. O'Bannon will be on the staff.

At least Ed O'Bannon has a basketball background. The other handler mentioned, prior to being hired by the prep school, was best known for pistol-whipping some guy at a park.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

A lot of recruits pick a school based on the relationships they have with a coach on staff. The whole reason Ben Simmons went to LSU was their coach was his godfather. Same at UW, Porter's godfather is Romar and his Dad was hired on staff. With the Romar firing he and his dad will no longer be coaching thus severing his relationship with the school. Once a coach is fired a lot of players open their recruitment and choose a different school that they have a good relationship with.
It may seem slimy but Mizzou hiring his Porter's dad is a relationship that will help his recruitment. In the end it is one year, as opposed to a lifetime with his Dad. It would be a persuasive argument.

Not sure anyone will be happy where he ends up many people will be angry if he chose to go to UCLA or UK over his local team because of the one-n-done narrative as opposed to his home town Mizzou.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

What a world.

Also, I see one member of the coaching staff has a degree in "multi-disciplanary studies". W-T-F is that?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
A lot of recruits pick a school based on the relationships they have with a coach on staff. The whole reason Ben Simmons went to LSU was their coach was his godfather. Same at UW, Porter's godfather is Romar and his Dad was hired on staff. With the Romar firing he and his dad will no longer be coaching thus severing his relationship with the school. Once a coach is fired a lot of players open their recruitment and choose a different school that they have a good relationship with.
It may seem slimy but Mizzou hiring his Porter's dad is a relationship that will help his recruitment. In the end it is one year, as opposed to a lifetime with his Dad. It would be a persuasive argument.

Not sure anyone will be happy where he ends up many people will be angry if he chose to go to UCLA or UK over his local team because of the one-n-done narrative as opposed to his home town Mizzou.
I am aware of the history.
It isn't a one year deal. There are I believe 4 Porter kids
I only think it is slimy on the dad's part. Using his kids to get ahead. The schools are free to hire whomever they want as a coach to get a recruit.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I look at it this way if the kid truly is a one and done he may look at college as a waiting period before he can live his dream. He's going to get unlimited PT and will have an offense set up to facilitate his game. Why not give your Dad a shot at his dream as well? Worst case family gets to see all his games best case Dad has a career and wont be a sponge.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am aware of the history.
It isn't a one year deal. There are I believe 4 Porter kids
I only think it is slimy on the dad's part. Using his kids to get ahead. The schools are free to hire whomever they want as a coach to get a recruit.
No different than a majority of coaches. Better, actually.

CF is so naive sometimes.

• Disagree
Reactions: bawbie

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006