MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
Also- I love David Ross but I can't see him managing next year. Can he really manage Rizzo, Lester, etc? Seems weird. And personally I would rather keep Maddon over bringin in Girardi like some want.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not too worried about the Cubs bullpen as long as the starting rotation holds up and Maddon doesn't overwork them like he has in recent years. On paper if the rotation is healthy and productive as they can be getting 6-7 innings consistently from the starters will go a long ways towards keeping the pen fresh and sharp. Last year with Darvish being hurt, Chatwood sucking, and even Lester and Q having problems getting 5+ innings in at times really put a lot of usage on the bullpen and the guys you need fresh and sharp down the stretch were probably overworked and tired out from all the innings they had to eat up from short starts. Monty started a career high 19 games so that took the 1 guy that usually could eat up multiple innings out of the pen out of the mix too.

Maddon's use of the bullpen has been questionable for years too. Sometimes pulls starters too soon or lets someone like Edwards pitch to a few too many batters on days when it's obvious he doesn't have good command of his pitches. It's been mentioned before that he nearly cost the Cubs the World Series with how he used Chapman too.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
CHICAGO--(AP): Head athletics trainer for the Chicago Cubs, PJ Mainville, reported today that it is believed that the injury to the hand of starting pitcher Yu Darvish that caused him to leave the game after 4.2 innings on Tuesday was sustained due to the fact that he is composed primarily of glass.

• Funny
Reactions: CloneFan4

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Welcome to Des Moines Ian Happ. He wasn't that good last season and from what I've read has been bad in Spring Training as well. Both at-bat and in the field.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He never really stayed in the minors long enough to develop then they wound up using him as a platoon player in Chicago. Hopefully some time in Iowa with regular playing time helps him get it figured out at the plate. I thought when he first got called up.he was being showcased for a trade and looking back they should have traded him then as hes probably lost some trade value now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron