MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
More like $70 million to not spend, IMO.

Just went through the 40 man roster for the first time and I sorta get why Theo isn’t spending. So much money comes off the books next year.

Hamels - $20 million
Zobrist - $14 million
Cishek - $6.5 million
Strop - $5.86 million
Kintzler - $5 million
Duensing - $3.5 million
Cedeno - 900k

That’s $55.76 million coming off the books. Plus the team options below that the Cubs can drop.

Morrow - $10.5 million
Rizzo - $6.3 million
Quintana - $6.2 million
Brach - $4.35 million
Barnette - 750k

Rizzo and Quintana are going nowhere, but the other 3 seem likely candidates to be waved. Especially Morrow.

That’s another $15 million in dropped salary. So the Cubs could have upwards of $70 million next year to spend.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just went through the 40 man roster for the first time and I sorta get why Theo isn’t spending. So much money comes off the books next year.

Hamels - $20 million
Zobrist - $14 million
Cishek - $6.5 million
Strop - $5.86 million
Kintzler - $5 million
Duensing - $3.5 million
Cedeno - 900k

That’s $55.76 million coming off the books. Plus the team options below that the Cubs can drop.

Morrow - $10.5 million
Rizzo - $6.3 million
Quintana - $6.2 million
Brach - $4.35 million
Barnette - 750k

Rizzo and Quintana are going nowhere, but the other 3 seem likely candidates to be waved. Especially Morrow.

That’s another $15 million in dropped salary. So the Cubs could have upwards of $70 million next year to spend.

Pretty interesting look at how the Cubs currently sit for salary going forward: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/yearly/payroll/

You have to think though that $70 mil number is a bit in the optimistic high side too when you factor in some other things. Guys under team control that will have to exchange arbitration figures if they are still with the Cubs include Bryant, Contreras, Baez, Russell, Schwarber, Almora, Hendricks, Montgomery, and Edwards and depending on the season they have all will likely get a pay bump from 2019 if they are tendered a contract. Bryant, Baez, and Contreras for sure could see considerable increases as Bryan got just over a 2 mil raise from last season, Contreras made nearly 605k last year and year and Almora 575k both will be getting significant pay bumps their first year of arbitration as Baez jumped from 657k last season to $5.2 mil in year 1 of arbitration so not out of the question with good seasons Contreras could be at least 4+ mil and Almora at least in the 2-3 mil range if he plays more as an everyday OF.

Still a lot of variables too out there with what happens with Joe and how some of those veterans perform if they Cubs have mutual interest trying to resign a few of them too. Heyward and Descalso both have contracts that go up $1 mil each next season. Darvish goes up $2 mil, Chatwood's goes up 500k and Lester's actually goes down by $7.5 mil mil but goes up $5 in 2021 if his option is picked up or he his enough innings to make it vested. So just on the guys that have guaranteed contracts they potentially save $2.5 mil because of Lester's contract but that's only temporary relief if his 2021 option is picked up. Never know if they may try to re-sign a few of those veteran guys too. It would be nice to get out from the Heyward and Chatwood contracts but that is unlikely without either taking a bad contract back or eating a good chunk of their contracts in a deal.

Reactions: CyForPresident

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Question from a non-Cubs fan: What's the temperature of Maddon's seat right now? Do you guys think it's cold, warm, or hot? Say the Cubs miss the playoffs this year, does he get another year or no?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
To be fair, the salary position isn't awful for the Cubs currently. Heyward is the only real albatross out there... This year money is tight, but within the next two season Hamels/Lester/Chatwood/Zobrist/Morrow/Quintana contracts all come off the books.

Will free up money for Bryant/Baez/Rizzo/Schwarber extensions as they all have 2-3 years of team control left.

If we can finally produce some useful arms out of the system plus the extra cash from the new TV deal going into effect means there should be some money free for other high profile FA chases in 2020/21 and beyond.

Obviously this is a frustrating offseason, but long term position isn't bad.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Question from a non-Cubs fan: What's the temperature of Maddon's seat right now? Do you guys think it's cold, warm, or hot? Say the Cubs miss the playoffs this year, does he get another year or no?
It's pretty hot. I subscribe to a podcast from NBC sports Chicago I believe and they've been on record saying that they have heard rumblings if he doesn't make it to the world series they won't renew his contract. I think that is pretty high standards, but yeah it is very warm.

Granted, the Cubs window seems to be about 3-4 more years so if they do not make it to another world series this year you could argue they need a new leader to try and capitalize on their young core.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Very warm to hot.

I think he has to make the World Series to be back in 2020. His track record with young teams is great. His track record with older teams is, um, not so great.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I think it's at least warm. Seems to be something going on with him and management right now as it's mind boggling how someone could put an end to a 108 year drought 2 seasons ago and not get extended. Hate to say it but I think he's done either way after this year. Either they can him if it's a disappointing year or he gives them the middle finger and walks.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's at least warm. Seems to be something going on with him and management right now as it's mind boggling how someone could put an end to a 108 year drought 2 seasons ago and not get extended. Hate to say it but I think he's done either way after this year. Either they can him if it's a disappointing year or he gives them the middle finger and walks.

This is what is amazing about sports (and our society, really). It's very much "what have you done for me lately." Joe was king of Chicago after the WS Title. There was probably talk of a statute of him somewhere in the city. How quickly things can turn.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
All you have to do is look at how Maddon handled Willson last season and you can understand why his seat is hot. Maddon ran him into the ground.

Personally, my expectations will continue to be to make the playoffs and I’m happy.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
This is what is amazing about sports (and our society, really). It's very much "what have you done for me lately." Joe was king of Chicago after the WS Title. There was probably talk of a statute of him somewhere in the city. How quickly things can turn.

I don't know about King. A lot of hardcore fans (me included) were shaking our heads at many of the in game decisions he made down the stretch that year, especially in the WS.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know about King. A lot of hardcore fans (me included) were shaking our heads at many of the in game decisions he made down the stretch that year, especially in the WS.

Agreed, and I recall those criticisms. He was a coin flip away from being run out of town with Steve Bartman if they had lost game 7. I would say the overwhelming majority of Cubs fans viewed him and Theo as the saviors of Chicago. Now just a few years later and it feels like its boom or bust for Joe.

• Agree
Reactions: Walden4Prez

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Very warm to hot.

I think he has to make the World Series to be back in 2020. His track record with young teams is great. His track record with older teams is, um, not so great.

Are you serious? Maybe I'm way out of the Chicago loop but I don't know what they would hope to accomplish setting that sort of standard for him. Who else would you get?

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
I don't see this team winning 90 games. I just don't think the pitching is good enough, especially in the pen. And the offense hasn't been good enough to overcome it.
The cubs had 3rd best ERA in all of baseball last year. Keep in mind that was with Chatwood having an all time bad season, No Darvish, little Morrow. The bullpen got a little worn down as the year went on from overuse but they were very solid all year long. This talk of the bullpen being weak is VERY exaggerated and stems from the 2017 playoffs honestly. The 2018 Cubs problem was hitting, point blank. Outside of Milwaukee and NYY, what team feels good about their bullpen? Fans of every team in baseball say the same thing every year about bullpens. Its so annoying. All bullpens are volatile from year to year and there's always the trade deadline.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Nothing to add but I'm so freakin pumped for baseball season to get here

• Agree
Reactions: cyLKUIF

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016

Hamels - $20 million
Zobrist - $14 million
Cishek - $6.5 million
Strop - $5.86 million
Kintzler - $5 million
Duensing - $3.5 million
Cedeno - 900k

Morrow - $10.5 million
Rizzo - $6.3 million
Quintana - $6.2 million
Brach - $4.35 million
Barnette - 750k

Thanks for this. The problem I see is the arbitration coming around the corner. Lots of guys salaries are going to jump big time. We have a ton of young guys who are finally going to get paid. I would expect around $25M to go towards players already on the roster. That doesn't leave a ton of money to fill the replacements in the pen and rotation. Luckily, every year that goes by makes Chatwood and Heyward easier to deal. You can already guarantee that Duensing and Kintzler are gone. Likely Zo, Morrow gone too. Possibility of bringing back Hamels, Strop, Cishek but on much smaller deals. I would only predict Strop comes back from that list though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron