MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I don't see this team winning 90 games. I just don't think the pitching is good enough, especially in the pen. And the offense hasn't been good enough to overcome it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I don't see this team winning 90 games. I just don't think the pitching is good enough, especially in the pen. And the offense hasn't been good enough to overcome it.
You can complain about the bullpen all you want but the reality is the last few years they've consistently been one of the best in the league. And I definitely can't complain about a starting rotation of Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Q, Darvish. I'm expecting the pitching to take a slight step back this year (nothing major). The success of this season will depend on if they can become a little more consistent offense. I have been so sick of the boom or bust, score less than 2 or more than 7 runs every game offense.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I expect the offense to be more consistent this year but Hamels and Lester's age concern me a bit and who knows with Darvish. Obviously bullpen has some question marks at this point and the Division overall is also better.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Yup. 99-103 is more likely than under 90.
I hope you're right.

You can complain about the bullpen all you want but the reality is the last few years they've consistently been one of the best in the league. And I definitely can't complain about a starting rotation of Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Q, Darvish. I'm expecting the pitching to take a slight step back this year (nothing major). The success of this season will depend on if they can become a little more consistent offense. I have been so sick of the boom or bust, score less than 2 or more than 7 runs every game offense.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm happy with the rotation, especially top 4. Darvish - I'm hopeful but he's gotta show some success.

Totally agree with offensive consistency.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I think the cubbies are a great team, but the NL central is loaded. Going to be interesting

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I will be surprised if this team wins 90 games or more. Is that clear enough? I hope they win 100+. But, it seems to me the division has gotten better and the Cubs have stayed stagnant or gotten worse.

It was your pitching comment. We had one of the better pitching staffs last year in baseball, and should be even stronger this year if everyone is healthy. The offense was the issue last year, and its more mental than physical, IMO.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
It was your pitching comment. We had one of the better pitching staffs last year in baseball, and should be even stronger this year if everyone is healthy. The offense was the issue last year, and its more mental than physical, IMO.

My main fear is that the Maddon factor is wearing thin and the roster doesn't seem to have improved this year while the other teams in the division have seemed to make some nice moves.

I'm hoping some new position coaches are enough fresh blood to make a positive difference.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
By my count the Cubs went 15-3 in games where they gave up 1 run, 17-9 in games where they gave up 2 runs and 9-6 in games where they gave up 3 runs (including the game 163 loss). I think not having the Chili factor anymore could mean turning half of those winning pitching efforts into actual wins. 15 of those 18 losses were 1 run games. That kind of improvement could go a long way toward countering playing in a stronger division.