MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm disappointed they didnt make any kind of moves to improve the offense that was just awful and inconsistent for stretches last year. I didn't expect to sign Harper or Machado but I thought they might deal from some of their position depth to get a guy that could leadoff or hit in the top half of the order. The way this roster is built is flawed because there are too many free swingers who chase bad pitches at times. Need a guy or 2 to work counts and get on base consistently so teams have to pitch to our best power hitters.

Not worried about pitching, the rotation is deep and they always seem to have a better bullpen than people think lately. Lost too many game last year because if lack of offense not because the pitching was bad.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I'm disappointed they didnt make any kind of moves to improve the offense that was just awful and inconsistent for stretches last year. I didn't expect to sign Harper or Machado but I thought they might deal from some of their position depth to get a guy that could leadoff or hit in the top half of the order. The way this roster is built is flawed because there are too many free swingers who chase bad pitches at times. Need a guy or 2 to work counts and get on base consistently so teams have to pitch to our best power hitters.

Not worried about pitching, the rotation is deep and they always seem to have a better bullpen than people think lately. Lost too many game last year because if lack of offense not because the pitching was bad.

Firing the crappy hitting coach and having a healthy Kris Bryant should increase offensive production.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I don't know what it is, but this team is just blah right now. I know I'll be excited once real games start up, but between the team keeping Addison Russell and the Rickets' political/racist crap, it's hard to get excited.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: CloneFan4

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Idk what this is, but whoever wins the division is gonna have a hell of a lot more wins than 88.
I disagree. I think this will be the best Division in baseball, and the top 4 (minus Pittsburgh) are going to be pretty balanced. I think the winner of the Division is probably at 90 games, give or take a few.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Just helping out.

giphy.gif

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I don't know what it is, but this team is just blah right now. I know I'll be excited once real games start up, but between the team keeping Addison Russell and the Rickets' political/racist crap, it hard to get excited.

There's been a few articles in the local papers about jumping off of the Cubs bandwagon. I don't think your point is isolated

I packed up my Cubs gear because I really don't like the city of Chicago. It makes it hard to cheer for any Chicago team.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Cool. You can cheer for Addison Russell all you want then

The Cubs elected to help Addison through therapy and rehabilitation rather than give up on the guy. I'm strongly cheering for Addison to become a better member of society, father, and ex-husband and if that means he plays good baseball for us, all the better.

Reactions: chuckd4735

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
The Cubs elected to help Addison through therapy and rehabilitation rather than give up on the guy. I'm strongly cheering for Addison to become a better member of society, father, and ex-husband and if that means he plays good baseball for us, all the better.

I'm all for rehabilitation and second chances, but personally, I'm not going to cheer him on. That's why I said this offseason is just "blah"

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Just went through the 40 man roster for the first time and I sorta get why Theo isn’t spending. So much money comes off the books next year.

Hamels - $20 million
Zobrist - $14 million
Cishek - $6.5 million
Strop - $5.86 million
Kintzler - $5 million
Duensing - $3.5 million
Cedeno - 900k

That’s $55.76 million coming off the books. Plus the team options below that the Cubs can drop.

Morrow - $10.5 million
Rizzo - $6.3 million
Quintana - $6.2 million
Brach - $4.35 million
Barnette - 750k

Rizzo and Quintana are going nowhere, but the other 3 seem likely candidates to be waved. Especially Morrow.

That’s another $15 million in dropped salary. So the Cubs could have upwards of $70 million next year to spend.