Official ISU vs Toledo Autopsy Thread (Post-Game)

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
After this, I say we win 1 big 12 game this year...there is just no way we could be turned into immediate winners, not even Gene Chizik coulda helpt the team this year, we just need to build for the next few years and try as hard as possible to pull off a MAJOR upset.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, we went from probably the most impressive win in the Big 12 to the worst loss. Actually, only 2 losses in the Big 12 this week (only counting non-conference games).

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Snatching Defeat from the Clutches of Victory

I don't post here much anymore. Last week was as high as I've been in a long time.

This week cancels that out.

It's as if we try to lose.

New coach, new system, same old story.

DAMN!!!!!!!!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I wasn't able to listen to much of the game to night, and from the sounds of it, thank God for that. Sounds like a gut wrenching, dramatically horrible ending. With that said, this is the same team that showed the capability to beat Iowa last week, and the same team that came back to kick a last second field goal in that win, after losing the lead late. I'm sure everyone is discouraged, but Chizik has shown that he will have them fighting tooth and nail in every game.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
We mighf beat Colorado at season end.

I think this will be a winnable game especially since it's so late in the year and I expect the team to really show up.

But they really took care of business today against a poor Miami (OH) team, but still took care of business 42-0.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm a little tired of "the sky is falling" act that a lot of us continue to spout out after every single loss. Am I happy with losing - no. Not at all. I think this absolutely sucks what happened tonight. But to pin this on the offense, defense, or coaching staff is absolutely nuts. Anyone who thinks we should pull the running plays out of the playbook because they don't work just doesn't know football. If all we did was pass the football, the defense would key on that and Meyer would look horrible. Running the football, even when it's stuffed, is what keeps the defense honest.

As far as the offense goes, they put up 35 points, by far the most this season and in quite awhile. Yet the offense didn't do good enough of a job for all you whiners tonight?

The defense did give up 24 points tonight, but they didn't get the chance to defend the lead. Have you whiners forgotten about both the 2-point conversion attempts they stuffed after both special teams touchdowns? I haven't forgotten about that - that shows me that all 11 of the players on defense have grown a pair under Chizik. That situation last year and we lose 40-35.

All members of special teams need to line up on Sunday without their jock straps and each receive a swift kick to the jewels for their **** poor play in the final 5 minutes of this game. I have never seen special teams play that bad in my life and seen it swing a game that dramatically.

The coaching is getting much better. The playbook has been opened up more from the first couple of weeks. We're doing a lot more things on both sides of the ball and both sides continue to show improvement. I thought that's all anyone wanted to see out of this season. I guess a lot of you either lied or were the ones that unrealistically thought we were going to win 8-9 games this year.

The offense and defense have improved greatly from the Kent St game. I look for that to continue the rest of the season. After the performance of most of these guys tonight I have no doubt the program's going in the right direction.

pcyclonatrist

Aug 22, 2006
Forget practicing for Nebraska this week. Spend the next 7 days tackling, snapping, covering kickoffs, punting, covering punts, blocking schemes on field goals, etc.

I agree, except let's narrow it down to just tackling and snapping. If we could do those 2 things well we would be 4-0.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
The offense and defense have improved greatly from the Kent St game. I look for that to continue the rest of the season. After the performance of most of these guys tonight I have no doubt the program's going in the right direction

Totally agree. I've been really impressed with the strides we've made in 3 weeks. Nobody will ever convince me that there isn't a huge talent issue on this roster, but this staff is getting a lot out of these guys. I've liked what I've seen on the field the last two weeks over anything we put on the field last year. Last season those kids made the same mistakes week after week. Atleast this year they correct their mistakes and move forward. I'm assuming special teams will do the same.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
I seriously felt like I was at a highschool football game. Not only do we schedule pathetic games like this, we manage to lose them.

ATTENDANCE: 15,219

The one good thing... I estimate that about 20% of the fans I saw at the game were ISU fans.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
One of my major concerns was that there would be a letdown. While I think there was in the first half, we were clearly outplaying them in the second half. How we lost was a freak occurance.

H2OS4cy

Jan 12, 2007
Let's face it folks, we have the same players on special teams that were here last year and beyond. Why should we be surprised when they perform as they always have!! Tonights mistakes look very familar. Unfortunately, this time they made them back-to-back-to back!!! Different coaching may help, but I am afraid the real answer is recruiting.
History IS repeating it's self.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Why don't we kick off with a high boot for a fair catch? And maybe we need to put someone behind our punter.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Give Shaggy the chance, special people! We deserved to lose this if we can't hold an 11 point lead for 5 minutes. Sucks to say that, but lets focus on beating NU now.

Tulsa Cyclone

Nov 21, 2006
Tulsa, OK
I bought the annual memebership the Clone Zone so I could watch this game. There was about a 12-second delay between my SIRIUS Radio broadcast and the video. It was especially painful having to watch happen what I had just heard.

Regarding the kickoff returned for a touchdown...6 guys missed the tackle...three had Parmalee but didn't wrap him up.

I'll never understand why Brandtner didn't kick the botched punt out of the endzone and take the 2 pts. He wasn't thinking. Defense did the job in the 4th quarter...stopped two 2-pt conversions.

How do you lose a game with 5 minutes left and an 11-point lead? Saw it last night.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I was at the game, I accept the kickoff return for the touchdown, but the bad snap looked like he was bowling. Before the snap I thought if this is going to go bad, the ball is going to sail over his head, so I was surprised to see the ball shoot along the ground. The immediate first thing I thought as the ball went past him was kick it out of the end zone. Instead he kind of followed it and tried to fall on it too late. Maybe he tried to kick it, but I didn't see him attempt it. Poor thinking on his part.

There certainly wasn't a home field advantage. Besides the botched punt, I really knew we were in trouble when on the last drive we played it safe and didn't move much beyond the 30. I think a long 2nd down pass was out of bounds which is what we really needed. Once again, I thought the ball would hit the goal post since that seemed to be the distance that usually happens, but instead it didn't even make it that far... The most bizarre loss I've ever seen, losing on 2 special teams plays at the end. Unbelievable. Our offense shows good signs, but then sputters at bad times.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Iowa State v Toledo was 2 bad football teams getting together and ISU giving the game to Toledo, so the Rockets could win their first game.

I for one thought that once we got past the Mac era we would NO longer give games away late, like well...remember baylor.. oklahoma...and who could ever forget KState in JTS for crying out loud!!

Oh Well this is Iowa State and this ain't winning now is it!!!!

45 years of clone football collapses and still looking for my first conference championship!!!

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Did the coaches make a low snap? NO

Did the coaches miss tackles on that KO return? NO

Did the coaches let a guy get close enough to block the fieldgoal? NO

Anyone who blames the coaches for this loss is a MORON!!! The players didn't block, tackle or snap good enough in the last 5-6 minutes.

Same morons, different week!

Do the coaches work with the long snapper and teach him techniques? YES

Do the coaches teach the kickoff team proper containment on kick returns? YES

Do the coaches teach the line of the fieldgoal team how to block to protect the attempt? YES

What are the chances that THREE DIFFERENT FACETS of special teams would hemorage this bad at the end of the same game? I think coaches are fair game in this discussion by a long shot.