Official ISU vs Toledo Autopsy Thread (Post-Game)

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
Didn't Utah State dominate a highly ranked UCLA? You can't play that game. Emotion, mistakes and execution decides every game in today's world. The only difference between USC and Drake are the athletes. But I bet that Drake could be USC at least once in a hundred tries.
It was Utah, not Utah State.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Last week we almost lost with a runback on the last play against Iowa when they ran it back to the 30. Our problem is our kickoffs may go to the 5 or the 20. The last several kickoffs have been the 20. We have poor coverage and no real headhunters. We need a change immediately. Let the special teams coach earn his money starting now.

Last edited:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Didn't Utah State dominate a highly ranked UCLA? You can't play that game. Emotion, mistakes and execution decides every game in today's world. The only difference between USC and Drake are the athletes. But I bet that Drake could be USC at least once in a hundred tries.

No they didn't...Utah dominated UCLA and there is a HUGE difference in talent between Utah and Utah State...and I also bet that Drake could not beat USC in 100 tries while we're at it.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
well, at least fan expectations will be in check for next week's game, and the rest of the season. Maybe the team will refocus for next week. It's so amazing that we can do damn everything right one week, and then collapse like this the next! We were lucky last week that Iowa didn't end the game with the kick-off return for a TD, (despite the holding penalty).

I'm getting pretty used to ISU football doing this to me. It's been 9 years since I switched my loyalty to ISU from the dark side, (I grew up in eastern iowa). At least with ISU, every game is interesting. A win here would have been nice, but I'll survive, and I'll still be tuned in for next week's game.

By the way, I'm picking Kansas as the dark horse to win the big 12 north. They can put up some serious pointage.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
BREATHE..............

Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now.................

Lets think positives...........All i asked for from this season, and i've seen a ton of you out there with the same thoughts, was for this team to progress....to be headed in the right direction.....it takes time for Chiz and his staff to get the right players in there to do what it is that he wants them to do.....But, our offensive line is kickin some ***....and they're young....and we have some studs being redshirted and getting in an additional year of pumping iron with Shep.....

Did our special teams play take a step back no doubt, but, out of the three disciplines, special teams is the easiest to correct - period!!!! If our offense and defense continue to make positive strides like they have the past three weeks, i feel very good about pulling an upset here or there.....But, i still think our coaching staff needs to realize that our playmakers are Bass, Blythe, Sumrall, Franklin - not meyer.... Take the harness off our race horses and ridem.......We get inside the thirty five yard line, first down go for the juggler, make them respect our deep threat capability....i've been begging for this since week one.....please please please........throw it deep and stretch that field, it will only deepen the drops of the linebackers and pull the safetys away from the line of scrimmage....didnt see that last series but i would bet my *** on it that they had 8 in the box knowing we would run the ball once we made it inside the 35 yard line....

Otherwise, i'm not down on the players, i think theyre making the progress we all could only of hoped in the first year.....if we pull a few upsets and end up with 4 wins, i'd be extremely happy with that because our road out is about as tough of a schedule as anyone in the nation has left.....even Kansas will be ranked when we play them....

Things are looking up, and our special teams coached better be rattling some kids asses this week or i suggest we pull a Ron Prince on their *** and have the special teams and their coaches runnin stairs.......

Go Clones - i got ur back!!!!!!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Last week we almost lost with a runback on the last play afainst Iowa when they ran it back to the 30. Our problem is our kickoffs may go to the 5 or the 20. The last several kickoffs have been the 20.

I agree...the kickoffs need to be consistently deep.

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
No they didn't...Utah dominated UCLA and there is a HUGE difference in talent between Utah and Utah State...and I also bet that Drake could not beat USC in 100 tries while we're at it.
Sure they could. But it would take 45 cases of food poisoning, 35 deaths in 35 families, and 25 cases of incarceration all happening on gameday of course.:wink:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Now that I've had more time to think about things, I am not entirely disappointed that we failed to execute the FG at the end of the game. Had Shaggy made it, that might have cemented a "go for the FG at the end of the game mentality" for our young coaching staff. We don't want that kind of mentality. Prior to the Iowa game, the last time ISU won on a last second FG was 1948! I've probably seen over 100 attempts at game-winning FGs in college football, and I'm think maybe 25 of them went through. Look at ISU in 2004 and 2005. Look at Florida State over the years. Look at Michigan against App St. Look at Ball State against NE. Most fourth quarter comebacks are clinched by touchdowns. At least get the ball inside the 10 yard line so its not much more than an extra point. Shaggy is pretty darn good at those.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Now that I've had more time to think about things, I am not entirely disappointed that we failed to execute the FG at the end of the game. Had Shaggy made it, that might have cemented a "go for the FG at the end of the game mentality" for our young coaching staff. We don't want that kind of mentality. Prior to the Iowa game, the last time ISU won on a last second FG was 1948! I've probably seen over 100 attempts at game-winning FGs in college football, and I'm think maybe 25 of them went through. Look at ISU in 2004 and 2005. Look at Florida State over the years. Look at Michigan against App St. Look at Ball State against NE. Most fourth quarter comebacks are clinched by touchdowns. At least get the ball inside the 10 yard line so its not much more than an extra point. Shaggy is pretty darn good at those.

How many times have we been beaten on field goals with 10 seconds left or less since 1948??? You play for W's, nothing else, and there is nothing good about the fact that we didn't execute the 37 yard field goal at the end of the game...even though the game should've been decided before that.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The offense did fair against a team that leads the nation in giving up TDs and so did the defense who did not get on the field to save their backs. Certainly they both deserved a win, but.....

Apppalachian State did also lose today. Charlie Weis is going back to full pads on Sunday.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
I doubt Chizik has coached this hard in his life... he doesn't have the cream of the crop in Ames like Auburn & Texas. He'll have to do more with less, & the key is RECRUITING!!! If he can't recruit to Ames, the results will continue to be the same every year, no matter how good of a coach he is.

I'm going to remain patient this year & NOT flip out (like I usually do)... Why? Because I believe in Chizik as a coach & a person. He is like a drill instructor & simply WILL NOT stand for efforts like tonight. He's the right person for the job & simply doesn't have much to work with now. I'm anxious to skip ahead 2-3 years from now & see the players he's brought in to complete his team (to acommodate the spread offense & Tampa 2 defense).

When rebuilding a program, I've heard "In the 1st year, you lose BIG. In the 2nd year you lose CLOSE. In the 3rd year, you WIN CLOSE. And in years 4+, you continue to WIN because of the foundation built in years 1-3." We've seen this happen in many other programs, & I truly believe this will happen at ISU. Keep your head up Chizik & team, there are many good things down the road... & Cyclone fans will be there when they happen!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Trouble is we are losing in areas that we should be doing mostly effortless. We are folding under pressure. With a light defense line, I expect problems. With a young and light oline, I expect problems. With many wimpy or wildfire snaps, I expect only .5 per game, nmot what we have seen. Brandtner and Bret and holder have already made many saves. What is going on? We would beb better to have Bates or Austad snapping.....hey, just to make a point. I thought we had a staff that took action and corrected problems like snapping. (and kickoff coverage). This looks like the head coach should step in to work with them like Bill Callahan is now doing with Kevin Cosgrove. Yes, Red fans were booing the blackhirts todays. Their cutback tackiling totally sucks so JJ Bass might do well.

Last edited:

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Keep your head up Chizik & team, there are many good things down the road... & Cyclone fans will be there when they happen!

The important thing will be that the fans will be there now, when the going is tough. It is so important to recruiting to show your support for the team, winning or losing. This means not leaving the game early because you're down big. Cliche or not, running away from the problem solves nothing. Let's not pull a Louisville and walk out on our team before the end of the game, even if it was Syracuse. Nothing will dissuade a recruit faster than watching the fans turn hostile and/or indifferent.