OFFICIAL Midland Results thread

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I for one, do not believe they choked!! Put on your best singlet and try to wrestle someone who is completely counter wrestling. This includes Bono, Mornigstar and Varners opponent. ISU pushed the offense the complete match, but lost on last minute defensive moves. I did not see the earlier matches.
Also keep in mind, ISU was dependant upon their starting line-up, Iowa will not have that luxury at nationals.

Go ISU.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
One thing to remember:

We should get 9/10 to the NCAAs while Iowa should only get 8.

With the new qualifying rules no one really knows at this point how many wrestlers we'll get. We need the Big12 to be strong at certain weights to help against getting left out. Each conference gets spots depending on how the overall conference does at that particular weight. So if the conference does not qualify many at a certain weight, an early round poor showing will knock a guy out.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
With the new qualifying rules no one really knows at this point how many wrestlers we'll get. We need the Big12 to be strong at certain weights to help against getting left out. Each conference gets spots depending on how the overall conference does at that particular weight. So if the conference does not qualify many at a certain weight, an early round poor showing will knock a guy out.

I know nothing of the new rules, but from your description it sounds like the conference with the most teams/wrestlers will benefit. You're more likely to have more ranked wrestlers the more overall wrestlers you have. If so, that will benefit the big10/Iowa (shocker).

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
A good showing, that's for sure. Maybe at the duals we'll get them. I just can't get over the fact 5 in the finals and no wins. They just lack that last bit of mental toughness to get to the end and over the top. That seems to be the last piece; Brands works it pretty good in IC, Cael needs to step up and get these guys going.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
A good showing, that's for sure. Maybe at the duals we'll get them. I just can't get over the fact 5 in the finals and no wins. They just lack that last bit of mental toughness to get to the end and over the top. That seems to be the last piece; Brands works it pretty good in IC, Cael needs to step up and get these guys going.

Completely agree about Cael, time to step it up!!!!!! We like you but get it done dammit.

The funny part is on the Iowa board, they stated that we choked and that there is something wrong with our team, they knew we had it and that we let them off the hook. There is something wrong with our team and it starts at the top.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Wow, we are ranked #2 in the nation and just barely got beat by the #1 team in the nation and we have people complaining . . . interesting.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know a lot about wrestling, but sounds like another choke job.

Hopefully we can get the guys ready to go by March. According to Cael and a lot of coaches, it is the only thing that matters in that sport anyway.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
They need to get over the hump and it hasn't happened yet. This team has the talent and potential to win in March.

As for Midlands...shoulda, woulda, coulda

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
I dont know a whole lot about college wrestling but it sure looked like Varner came out flat. After just getting done watching Herbert for NW and the awesome display he put on, I was expecting somting similar from Varner. :no:

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
They need to get over the hump and it hasn't happened yet. This team has the talent and potential to win in March.

As for Midlands...shoulda, woulda, coulda
Yeah. Well yes and no. We finally got over the "don't do well enough in wrestlebacks" hump. And found a completely new hump in "none of our 5 finalists can win"

I dont know a whole lot about college wrestling but it sure looked like Varner came out flat. After just getting done watching Herbert for NW and the awesome display he put on, I was expecting somting similar from Varner. :no:
Again - yes and no. That quick style has never been one for Varner. He's much more of an overpowering grinder. I understand what you mean though.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007

I really think he has the ability to put on a display like Herbert, but hasn't shown that aggressive nature yet. Remember, Herbert is a sixth year senior after taking a year off to test the Olympics.

I'm sure this eats at Varner more than all of us combined. Lets hope he uses it to his advantage in March.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
I really think he has the ability to put on a display like Herbert, but hasn't shown that aggressive nature yet. Remember, Herbert is a sixth year senior after taking a year off to test the Olympics.

I'm sure this eats at Varner more than all of us combined. Lets hope he uses it to his advantage in March.
obviously they're in different weight classes now, and have changed some aspects of their game, but Herbert did wrestle at midlands last year as a single, and varner beat herbert in the finals.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

If Varner doesn't get a takedown in the 1st period...he is usually in for a pretty good battle.

Typical Varner match against a decent opponent goes:

1st period: Takedown Varner, some riding time, escape opponent

2-1 Varner

2nd period: We'll assume Varner on top....more riding time Varner (riding time now exceeds 1min)...opponent escape

2-2 (Varner with Riding time)

3rd period: Varner down...Varner escapes and stays on his feet for the win

3-2 Varner or 4-2 Varner if he still has riding time.

I've seen this play out again and again and again. If he doesn't get that 1st period takedown, he is gonna have his work really cut out for him.

cyclonecraig

Dec 23, 2008
agency,iowa
I know overall we had agood tourney,BUT we did not close out with the win. I wonder is Cael is just as calm in the wrestling room? He talks about stepping stones and building and not about matches getting away. I wish he showed a little more emotion. I wonder if our wrestlers are a little too comfortable. Bring on the National Duals and Ncaas.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Wow, we are ranked #2 in the nation and just barely got beat by the #1 team in the nation and we have people complaining . . . interesting.

We want to be Hertz #1. It is the way we lost in the end - like blowing a three touchdown lead. Six number twos is a little extreme with no champs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron