<<Official Movie Talk Thread>>

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Saw Bad Boys for Life here recently and I'm not gonna lie, that was a pretty fun ride that had me laughing quite a bit. Is it anything too new and world-breaking? Naw, but it does a pretty good job of giving you want you want and expect from another Bad Boys movie.

Only 17 years after the last one.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Finally saw this over the weekend. I wanted to catch it in theaters, but no such luck.

That was a fun ride. There was a good amount of intrigue while never taking itself too seriously. The cast was really well chosen. Craig was solid. I couldn't figure out how I knew Micheal Shannon until my wife goes "Is that General Zod?"

Agree, Craig was great. Loved the entire cast. I also was thrown off by Shannon, then after the movie my wife reminded me of who it was. He was in 'Loving,' 'Shape of Water' as well, brilliant actor. Not sure why I wasn't able to place him while we were watching it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Saw Bad Boys for Life here recently and I'm not gonna lie, that was a pretty fun ride that had me laughing quite a bit. Is it anything too new and world-breaking? Naw, but it does a pretty good job of giving you want you want and expect from another Bad Boys movie.

215px-Bad_Boys_%281983_film_poster%29.jpg

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Who here is excited for Godzilla vs Kong???? I sure am. Personally, I've pretty much loved all the movies in that universe so far, including Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I especially loved some of the world building in that movie. The idea and visuals of that ancient sunken city deep in the ocean where Godzilla slumbered in that movie was so cool.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Watched Kong vs Godzilla last night and I've got mixed thoughts. Overall, the fights were worth it, but I found the human characters and storylines to be the worst of all the monster movies, and nearly insufferable to watch. It wasn't just the storylines for the characters, but I also found the acting terrible and multiple characters downright annoying as all get out. Shoot, even Millie Bobby Brown's acting I found cringeworthy.

Now I know what everyone says when anyone critiques the human storylines for these movies, "people only come for the monsters in all these movies, so stop critiquing other parts!!" The difference between me and others is that I've actually loved ALL the elements in ALL the other Monsterverse movies (I'm really quite a big fan of this universe) so far outside of this one. This is the first one you'll find me saying this stuff. One difference too was the director clearly went over-the-top with nearly every human character and it just didn't work for me. I'm not saying I don't want some crazy fun characters, because I loved the crazy fun characters in Skull Island, but they either work or they don't. For me, they didn't work in this one. Man, that conspiracy theorist dude was the WORST!!!

Put that all aside and again, this movie still is worth seeing for the monster fighting alone. You've got to see it simply for that.

Reactions: CycloneVet

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Saw this thread bumped, I went back and read about everyone's thoughts from Joker with Joaquin Phoenix. If you thought the film was good (not necessarily to the point where you'd see it again), you should check out another dark film he did called You Were Never Really Here.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Watched Kong vs Godzilla last night and I've got mixed thoughts. Overall, the fights were worth it, but I found the human characters and storylines to be the worst of all the monster movies, and nearly insufferable to watch. It wasn't just the storylines for the characters, but I also found the acting terrible and multiple characters downright annoying as all get out. Shoot, even Millie Bobby Brown's acting I found cringeworthy.

Now I know what everyone says when anyone critiques the human storylines for these movies, "people only come for the monsters in all these movies, so stop critiquing other parts!!" The difference between me and others is that I've actually loved ALL the elements in ALL the other Monsterverse movies (I'm really quite a big fan of this universe) so far outside of this one. This is the first one you'll find me saying this stuff. One difference too was the director clearly went over-the-top with nearly every human character and it just didn't work for me. I'm not saying I don't want some crazy fun characters, because I loved the crazy fun characters in Skull Island, but they either work or they don't. For me, they didn't work in this one. Man, that conspiracy theorist dude was the WORST!!!

Put that all aside and again, this movie still is worth seeing for the monster fighting alone. You've got to see it simply for that.
I watched Godzilla, King of the Monsters last night and thought it was dreadful, much for the same reasons you are giving for Kong vs. Godzilla.

Recently I watched Saint Maud, the feature length film debut of writer/director Rose Glass. It is a psychological movie more so than a horror but it is worth a watch. It's a slow build to quite the ending.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Kong Skull Island was honestly pretty good. But the trailer for Godzilla vs. Kong was as absurd as anything I've seen lately "KONG BOWS TO NO ONE" and I'm in just zero hurry to watch this thing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

I love my monster movies, and yeah pairing Millie Bobby Brown with the conspiracy guy was a terrible, terrible move. So bad.
The little girl and Kong was reminiscent of some of the old Godzilla movies strangely enough, to me. I wish they’d explored the mind link via satellite a bit more.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Saw the new big-budgeted The Tomorrow War movie that just dropped on Amazon Prime with Chris Pratt at the helm. Not gonna lie, but I found it to be a ton of fun. Sure, it's no Citizen Kane, but it is a solid throwback to the action/comedy/sci-fi of the late 90s/early 2000s we don't get enough of anymore. Let's call it Edge of Tomorrow/Alien/Independence Day/Starship Troopers all packed into one glorious package. Based on Rotten Tomatoes, it clearly is fairly mixed in its reception, but I was sure entertained. Was probably just what I needed. If anything, the aliens alone in it are spectacular and by far the most terrifying aliens we've seen since.... well.... Alien. In the meantime, I've probably traumatized my 6 year old daughter for a good month's worth of sleepless nights, as somehow she just started watching it with me and was having such a blast with it, I didn't have the heart to tell her to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: weeterkane

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Watched Cruella the other night and found that movie to be delightful and super well-written and directed. I do get why it failed at the box office though, COVID-19 and dual-release withstanding. I mean, it is quite the dark movie for a Disney movie, and there is absolutely a reason why the movie is rated PG-13. Was it great for a 36 year-old like me? Sure, but I think it is telling when I've got 3 kids (age 6, 4, 1) and a wife who saw the trailers and was turned off by how dark it seemed, so I ended up watching by myself. I'm glad I didn't watch with my kids either. Now, I did inform my wife it was really quite good afterwards and she was then somewhat jealous she didn't watch it with me, but in the end, she likely never will end up seeing it. Therefore, I'm somewhat surprised Disney ended up greenlighting a sequel, but I know there is some politics involved there with Emma Stone threatening a lawsuit due to the duel-release.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Dune initial reactions are starting to come out and they are pretty "EPIC"

most are good some are not good at all. Indiewire says it's pretty awful. Still can't wait to see it.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Saw Ron's Gone Wrong with the kids tonight and all loved it. Talk about a super endearing movie with a great message. It's really too bad it isn't making more waves.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I saw Boondock Saints 3 is officially happening.

original cast and director.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Saw Ghostbusters last night.

It's not perfect but I really enjoyed it. Would recommend.

Tons of little call backs. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Won't give it away but the end is perfect.

Oh, and hang around for the after credits scene.

Reactions: dahliaclone