*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
There isn't a huge margin between the two, but there sort of is.

UNC cannot change the fact that they lost to a team yesterday that wasn't even on the bubble without an automatic bid by winning the ACC tournament, and ISU thrashed the #1 team in the country.

I'm sorry but anyone's argument about non-con strength of schedule is invalid at this point.
So, every game counts except the ones that you don't want to count?

Look, I think Iowa State is playing better basketball right now but you can't just pretend that Nov/Dec didn't happen. There's a 320 spot difference in NCSOS and that's part of the criteria regardless of how we feel about it.

The sport struggles with making the regular season matter anyway and taking away meaningful games for the first two months of the season makes that worse.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Look, I think Iowa State is playing better basketball right now but you can't just pretend that Nov/Dec didn't happen. There's a 320 spot difference in NCSOS and that's part of the criteria regardless of how we feel about it.

The sport struggles with making the regular season matter anyway and taking away meaningful games for the first two months of the season makes that worse.
What are you talking about? Those games count and have all year. The argument is that discounting a major win or loss in a conference tournament, as some have done, because it makes the committee's job more difficult on the last night of seed deliberations and using NCOS games from four months ago as the justification is plain stupid.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The NCAA removed the last 10 games record from consideration just because they don’t want to focus more on the end of the season. All games are supposed to matter.

Even though I don’t think ISU will be a 1 seed, I do like that the Big12 finishes on Saturday now to let this discussion happen. If they played Houston today, there’s zero chance that game has any impact on seeding.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Michigan State and Oklahoma should both be out. Their resumes are terrible.

I think at least one of them gets sent to Dayton though and more deserving teams like Indiana State are done unfortunately.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I predict the top 8 are as follows:

Uconn
Purdue
Houston
UNC
Tennessee
Marquette
Iowa St
Arizona

So the Regions will be this:

East - UConn and Arizona
Midwest - Purdue and ISU
South - Houston and Marquette
West - UNC and Tennessee

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Jerry Palm has Iowa State as the 1 seed, however, has Nebraska as the 9 seed in Omaha. There is no way you can have a 9 seed playing a home game in Omaha?

No geographic protection for anyone after the 1st round. Not saying it'll happen but it's also perfectly within the principles.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
After Baylor I was content with our 2 seed and looking forward to a stress-free Selection Sunday...

...and those bastards drew me back in. A real shot at the first 1 seed in our history?

9ed291982fedcd64b592d517c06724fe4654124c.gifv

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
No geographic protection for anyone after the 1st round. Not saying it'll happen but it's also perfectly within the principles.
There's no way to do it, even. They'd need to know who was winning the 1st round games to even consider that.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What a god damned world we live in.

I want the 1 just because no one will know what to say. The national media, in general, has been pretty good to us this year. But they also haven't talked about us much this year. Can you imagine if they put us up there with a 1 seed tonight? Holy ****. And I want the 1 because it's been 24 years since we've been a legit contender for a 1 seed.

What a world.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
jsb... I concur with your thoughts.

Even among our own fan base to start the season, we were wondering if we'd win 8 conference games.

What a world indeed.

A week ago, we thought we'd fall to a 3. And now all of a sudden, I think we'll get a two, but I think we are going to be agonizingly close to that last #1.

I said earlier this year that this team reminds me of the 1999-2000 team in that they just go about their business and it's hard to realize that they are that good. This team reminds me of that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron