*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I don’t get the Drake fear. I’ve watched plenty of Drake games & they are a one man show. Their big center dominates in the MVC but he is slow and not a leaper and does not protect the rim. They are not the juggernaut they were last year by any means.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I don’t get the Drake fear. I’ve watched plenty of Drake games & they are a one man show. Their big center dominates in the MVC but he is slow and not a leaper and does not protect the rim. They are not the juggernaut they were last year by any means.
It's an emotion thing. See Wichita state vs kansas and many others. Teams that reject playing another team don't seem to do well against that team in march.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Well for us, we'd do it because it is a hell of a lot of fun. So I don't regret it. And frankly, I bet we'd have been a 4 without our run.

For fans, I get it. Tons of fun. I was at the 2014 tournament they won. It was awesome.

But I’m talking about the team. There is no point. The committee had this locked in after the regular season. No way they watch the tournament and it only moves ISU to the lowest 2 seed.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Well for us, we'd do it because it is a hell of a lot of fun. So I don't regret it. And frankly, I bet we'd have been a 4 without our run.
you mean like Kansas seed?
or Baylor?

Those are pretty sweet

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
I’ve got a personal score to settle with UConn from back in 2014.

Madison Square Garden

A lot of games between now and then, but I will be in Boston if we take care of business.

Jackrabbits
Bulldogs
Cougars

Stand in our way for that revenge trip.

All Business in Omaha.

Let’s go Cyclones!

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Yeah, technically if/when we make the elite 8 we can get a little grumpy about that setup if it's UConn in Boston and the other regions are decimated.

Up until then it's not that different than anywhere else would be.

The olds still have PTSD from 2000.
darn right, I watched the blarge live

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
For fans, I get it. Tons of fun. I was at the 2014 tournament they won. It was awesome.

But I’m talking about the team. There is no point. The committee had this locked in after the regular season. No way they watch the tournament and it only moves ISU to the lowest 2 seed.

you can look at it two ways though. Frankly with the disrespect we got from the committee, you could say we moved ourselves up to the last 2. Do you think if we had lost to Baylor or Kansas State, we would have been a 2? Not a ******* chance.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Commissioner on ESPN again talking noncon.
I feel like that's a direct message to us.
There are two reasons there should not be so much emphasis on your non-con SOS. First, the committee doesn’t appear to care how you do in these games. Simply playing a high NET team scores you points. Second, much of your non-con SOS is out of your control, and the big names schools have an inherent advantage. For example, MSU, KU, Kentucky, and Duke play in the Champions Classic EVERY year. This is an exclusive tournament that ISU and others can’t play in.

The Big 12/Big East tournament provides an opportunity to strengthen your non-con SOS, unless you get one of the doormats, like DePaul. Bottom line is it’s easier said than done for non big-name schools to put together a strong non-conference schedule.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
you can look at it two ways though. Frankly with the disrespect we got from the committee, you could say we moved ourselves up to the last 2. Do you think if we had lost to Baylor or Kansas State, we would have been a 2? Not a ******* chance.

I think with blowing out #1 and #14 and a bubble team…the committee owes an explanation if they are just going to ignore the major conference tournaments….which is crazy since for bubble teams and minor conference teams it’s the only thing that matters.

Reactions: AllInForISU

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

No fear here. The bad experiences with Drake basketball happened early in the season with teams struggling to gel. This team's intensity will break Drake in half.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I forgot to mention how badly Indiana St also got screwed.

This committee basically said tonight that conference tournaments didn't matter when ISU went from #7 in the country to #8 by destroying KSU, Baylor, and Houston in the Big 12 tourney... it was all about how you did in the regular season. Okay fine... then Indiana St for sure should have been in based on that.

The committee was not consistent whatsoever in what was important.
When was Iowa State number 7 in the field

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Teams that have Drake's efficiency profile don't typically even make the tournament. When they have, the most common outcome is a loss in the play in round, or first game in the round of 64. However, in 2021 Ohio was similar and won a game as a 13 seed by beating a Virginia team that could not score. That Ohio team got drilled by Creighton the next round.